YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Least expensive TT?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Sati Suloshana
Posted 2008-01-29 12:09 PM (#102603)
Subject: Least expensive TT?

Can anyone recommend low-cost teacher's training? My friend is a professional Middle Eastern dancer, dance teacher & former gymnast. She speaks English & German & lives in the Washington DC Metro area. She is willing to travel. Currently does Vinyasa style yoga & has very good body awareness & strong spirituality.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-01-29 1:02 PM (#102605 - in reply to #102603)
Subject: RE: Least expensive TT?

i would recommend that she find a studio that she likes in the DC area (there are many) and from there, price out which teacher trainings interest her.

most teacher trainings cost roughly the same--between $2000 and $2500 for 200 hours, and $2400 to $3000 for the next level (500 hrs--which is 300 more hours of training). yet, some studios allow work-study, which is often the least expensive way to go. to get a work-study position, though, you have to be dedicated to the studio. it often requires a lot of work.

one of my students enjoys going to Flow Yoga Center when he travels there. their web address is http://www.flowyogacenter.com. i do not know if they have teacher training.

Posted 2008-01-29 2:05 PM (#102616 - in reply to #102603)

You get what you pay for though it isn't always the case. Some things are simply expensive "just because". But I have yet to see an inexpensive teacher training that offers a quality curriculum.

If a person just wants to say they teach yoga and not pay to actually learn to do so there are outlets for such "positions". I just don't advocate them. We need more teachers committed to the depth of yoga, committed to the process of sharing that depth with others, committed to not damaging people along the way.

Good body awareness and good spirituality, whatever defines those, are qualities of a human being, not necessarily a quality yoga teacher. Though they would need to be present in a quality teacher, they do not, in and of themselves, make one.
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2008-01-29 9:18 PM (#102651 - in reply to #102603)

Well, I think my friend will make a good yoga teacher. She is not afraid of working, & she will no doubt spend plenty of money. She just wants good value. It is my guess that she is surprised at how expensive the TTs are; I certainly am. When I did it (a long time ago of course) it was quite cheap. I wouldn't have been able to go otherwise. I am thinking she will want to go abroad; she likes to travel. Her experience teaching dance will stand her in good stead.

Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.
charvaka
Posted 2008-01-29 10:28 PM (#102654 - in reply to #102603)

Hello sati,
I would like to recommend three best yoga traning centres in india and perhaps in the world, for you to do your TTC.
1. vivekananda yoga instititute,Bangalore , INDIA
www.svyasa.org
2.Krishnamacharaya yoga mandiram ,chennai.INDIA
www.kym.org
3.yoga instititue ,santacruz,mumbai,INDIA.
www.yogainstitute.org This institute is the oldest organised yoga centre in the world.
In these places yoga is taught in true indian way and i am sure that the course fee is not high in these places.
I wish you all sucess in your effort.

Posted 2008-01-29 11:38 PM (#102656 - in reply to #102616)

Amen purna.

Or should that be an om?

Personally I've always thought the thread about TT should be something like 'what qualities did you look for in a teacher training program?'

I originally thought I would go to India and study at KYM - however there are two drawbacks to doing so. 1) You get all the material at once - there is no way to absorb and integrate material concentrated over a one month period. Yeah it's a cool immersion experience. But if yoga is about transformation - it's more likely to be a slow process for most folks.
2) It is doubtful with a program abroad that you will be able to develop a one-on-one relationship. It is possible - and my mentor - mentors peoples from all over the country. But the one-on-one relationship from student/teacher and/or mentor is pretty fundamental to a good teaching program. - And unfortunately not common.

I like Zoe's response - except the teachers that I like - I would find out who there teachers are and who their senior students are - and study with someone that has really internalized the teachings of sutras, understands pranayama, meditation, chants and doesn't place the importance on the asanas.

I'd skip a 200 hour program - these programs just scratch the surface - and place to much emphasis on asana. Because there just isn't enough time for depth.

The last things I'd look at - is who are the other students? Is there an application process? An interview process? Is everyone accepted just because they write a check????

I'm sure for alot of people that join a TT program casually - they end up with a bigger reward than they expected. But this is a huge commitment of time to be there - to study - and the time it took to make the money to be there.

Vicki
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-30 9:49 AM (#102667 - in reply to #102656)

Fantastic comments! Thanks victw.

victw - 2008-01-29 11:38 PM
I originally thought I would go to India and study at KYM - however there are two drawbacks to doing so. 1) You get all the material at once - there is no way to absorb and integrate material concentrated over a one month period. Yeah it's a cool immersion experience. But if yoga is about transformation - it's more likely to be a slow process for most folks.
2) It is doubtful with a program abroad that you will be able to develop a one-on-one relationship. It is possible - and my mentor - mentors peoples from all over the country. But the one-on-one relationship from student/teacher and/or mentor is pretty fundamental to a good teaching program. - And unfortunately not common.

I'd skip a 200 hour program - these programs just scratch the surface - and place to much emphasis on asana. Because there just isn't enough time for depth.

I'm sure for alot of people that join a TT program casually - they end up with a bigger reward than they expected. But this is a huge commitment of time to be there - to study - and the time it took to make the money to be there.

Vicki

Posted 2008-01-30 10:25 AM (#102670 - in reply to #102603)

vitcw:

i agree with many of your questions and assertions.

this is why i'm so fond of the "apprenticeship" model. but, it's also why i recommend shopping around.

and, yoga training--ni my experience at least--has always been expensive. when i started apprenticing when i was 19 (i'm 31 now), it was "free" training in that it was all work-study and very demanding. but, the other trainings available at the time--ones where you could go away to study for a month or more--were over $3k (because you had to pay for housing too).

i will point out also that in one area, vict and i may be in disagreement--but not total. if you like a teacher, it is a good idea to find out who that person's teacher is, and perhaps study with that person.

this can be great, if that person is accessible. some of these teacher are 'famous' folks for whom even the teacher trained by them is a number (one of hundreds or thousands that they taught or certified that year). the intimacy that i get from the teacher-student relationship is very different when i'm with a teacher whom i study with each week, for whom i work-study, and with whom i can train in off-times.

i don't know if i'm being clear, but it's probably because my brain can think of nothing else but pineapple.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-18 9:06 AM (#208706 - in reply to #102603)

Regular

Please have a look at this blog link given below which may help you get a least expensive Teacher Training.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/387908-cheap-training-for-yoga-teachers/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)