YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

headstand is improving
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-11-08 7:36 AM (#99212)
Subject: headstand is improving

Something must be clicking, because just this past week I feel that my sirsasana I is finally becoming the pose it's supposed to be. Previously, I had been trying to balance hovering an inch away from the wall, but it was terrribly filled with effort, stress and fear, as well as that telltale grinding and creaking in my S/I, telling me I wasn't engaging my body properly. Plus it felt like I was dumping all my weight onto my head, very bad, I know. And it's not like I don't have the strength or body-awareness toward proper alignments, because my sirsasana II has been effortless and correct-feeling, in the middle of the room, since the first time I tried it (lifting up my legs in a straddle from prasarita padottanasana, actually).

So I think I know what I'm finally starting to do right (though I'm open for feedback and suggestions as well, because I know I'm not 100% there yet): shoulder loop and shin loop, if those Anusara terms mean anything to anybody. I had been trying to firm all my muscles in my core and find the stability from there, but no amount of "firming" was keeping that grinding in my lowback from happening (feels like gears struggling to mesh but not slipping, quite unpleasant). I had tried focusing on squeezing my legs together at the midline, as well as activating my feet, but still that did nothing to improve my stability as well. All the postural alignments weren't helping me, and even when my teachers would observe me, they couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong (or not doing right) either. Quite frustrating.

I think the breakthrough happened while working on pincha mayurasana, another pose I've always had difficulty with, when I finally figured out how to keep my forearms really engaged into the floor. Did I mention that I have a shoulder thing too? Very tough for me to keep my right shoulderblade drawn down into my back properly, due to surgery I had on the joint several years ago. So that's why I've tended to stay away from forearm balance, thinking that having such tight shoulders would make that pose inaccessable to me. But then I read in the Anusara teacher training manual that pincha mayurasana is a pose that's taught at the beginning of class with the intent to open the shoulders, and I thought HUH? Don't you already need to be open to do the pose? Guess I was wrong there, and happily so.

So... what I learned was how to firm my forearms, i.e. how to engage the muscles to the bone in my arms ("shrinkwrapping" the muscles to the bone is how I find myself thinking about it) and up to my shoulders, thereby activating "shoulder loop" and setting up the proper positioning of my upper body. Shoulder loop is one of the ways how muscular energy is engaged (that shrinkwrapping and firming effect), along with shin loop (moving the tops of the shin bones forward, sort of preventing a locking of the knees, among other things), so I tried to focus on both those aspects at once the other day as I tried my headstand. And that was the missing link! Not more work in the core, or a better tucking of the tailbone, but in the shoulders and the shins! Who knew?!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-11-08 10:12 AM (#99223 - in reply to #99212)
Subject: RE: headstand is improving

Expert Yogi

OM - two quick ideas - one friend of mine has her classes work on simultaneously bring the elbows together and pull them apart. It's weird, but I find it gives me the right shoulder work. For the s/i (and yes, I know the sounds/sensation ) a classic Iyengar working is to put a block between the thighs and strap the legs together. One strap to hold the block in place is good, 4 straps ( 2 above and 2 below the knee) is really good. Hard to do alone, but not impossible. "Mermaid" sirsasana.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-11-08 3:41 PM (#99242 - in reply to #99223)

Hi tourist -- thanks for the tips. That elbow technique is pretty much the same thing as engaging the muscles, just another way to word it, so yes, that's what I've been working on doing. The strap and block thing sounds interesting, though I tend not to be as successful when I have a block between my thighs. Between the thickness of the block and the thickness of my thighs , my feet end up being wider than my sitbones, believe it or not. But I like the strapping idea nonetheless. I think it should be challenging in itself to get up into the pose all mermaided up to begin with!
tourist
Posted 2007-11-08 7:05 PM (#99253 - in reply to #99242)

Expert Yogi

You can try a thin rolled up mat rather than a block. Less painful if it falls out on your head, as well

Posted 2007-11-09 6:57 PM (#99298 - in reply to #99212)

mine is, too!
as i get my shoulder girdle more rehabbed, i'm having less troubling clicking in my upper extremities, and feeling very strongly rooted down.

one of my favorite tricks is to hold a block behind my head. this gives me a little stronger feeling of the actions in the arms, which i can then take into unpropped headstand.
i took this class in San Francisco, and the teacher had me against the wall with iron bars underneath my shoulders.
fan-tastic.
i wish i had a set of my own...
tourist
Posted 2007-11-09 7:07 PM (#99301 - in reply to #99298)

Expert Yogi

Broomsticks will do and they hurt less when they fall on you. Do I sense some prop malfunctions in my past?

Posted 2007-11-10 2:30 PM (#99329 - in reply to #99212)

is there any way to get those bars/broomsticks under your shoulders without assistance?
or do you pretty much have to get someone to put them there for you...
sounds like the kind of question i should answer for myself.
tourist
Posted 2007-11-11 1:58 PM (#99345 - in reply to #99329)

Expert Yogi

I haven't done it very often and not 100% sure of the setup, but I think it could be done. We used a chair against the wall, sticks resting on the edge of the chair seat and maybe a mat scrap to keep the pole ends still (ish) on the wall? I have to start drawing little diagrams when I do these things

Posted 2007-11-11 6:17 PM (#99352 - in reply to #99345)

i think when i did it, the sticks were just wedged between the ground and the wall, with my shoulders kinda propped up on top of them.
the bars might have had special end pieces to aid the wedging, but i couldn't really see from where i was
i was kinda upside down.
(is that a valid excuse?)

speaking of headstand, after i practiced yesterday, i felt something like a toothache afterwards. more in the bones/spaces right above the last tooth on the upper right side.
i was a little worried at first, but i think its just an expression of the same line of distortion i've been working with.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-11-12 6:28 AM (#99363 - in reply to #99352)

Grinding your teeth, maybe? The focal point of the pose is the upper palate, so if you felt stress in that area, that kinda makes sense because of the work that's needed there, even though you're not supposed to be having pain (duh). I'm still all very new to this, but my instincts tell me that if I had that sort of reaction, that means that I'll not drawing my palate back enough;or better yet, that I'm allowing the origination of energy to be a touch too far forward in the jaw area. Any of that make sense? The instruction I would give to myself in your case would be "take it further back in the skull", though to explain what that "it" is, I have no clue.

Oh, and here's one more insight that might help (or not): the flow of energy for the shoulders connects through that same point in the upper palate (shoulder loop and skull loop), so for me, I find it helpful to remember that intersection point, maybe even visualize it. Lots to do when you're upsidedown, for sure.

bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-11-12 9:03 AM (#99367 - in reply to #99212)

Anatomy is getting so interesting for me right now. When Dhanurasana mentions relations between skull anatomy/musculature/dental it's so interesting. I always had a hard time to get my face muscles to relax, especially my eyes. When I finally did get some results I was surprised that I could feel it all the way to the back of my skull. Then I learned more about how the skull is made of all the plates that aren't really connected, but slide around on each other. Now I can feel it, and also know how it affects my own physical make up. I know now that it impacts my teeth, I think my own situation is that I compress my front sinus under my nose, and this causes trouble for my two front teeth. That sinus area is tiny already, and needs all the room it can get. Yay though, now I can relax my face and skull and things are better.

My headstand is still on the wall though, but I'm not feeling discouraged. My shoulders feel strong there, and I'm happy with the progress I've made.

Posted 2007-11-12 4:46 PM (#99388 - in reply to #99363)

i don't think it does a lot of good for me right now to try and fiddle with the minute alignments in my skull presently.
i was doing a lot of that a while back, and it left me very frustrated.
i know that i sag onto my right side because my left shoulder doesn't support itself very well.
when i have focus on the left shoulder, headstand is good
when i lose focus on the left shoulder, headstand suffers.
i'm sure those skull alignments are very important, however at this point i am more concerned with my more 'obvious' problems.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)