YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Self analysis and reflection
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

Lorien234
Posted 2006-07-26 8:27 AM (#59750)
Subject: Self analysis and reflection

Can we do too much of it?

Are yogis and yoginis in any danger of becoming self centered or self obsessed? I have started writing in a weblog and it's making me feel a little me me me. Yoga in general really asks us to do a lot of self analysis and internal reflection, so how does that not encourage us to be self centered? I have heard that you need to change yourself in order to change the world. But what if you never manage to transform yourself into something that can change the world? Then you will spend all of your time thinking about yourself and your actions.

Does our intention to improve ourselves and the way we interact in the world save us from being self involved? Can you analyze things too much?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-26 8:57 AM (#59755 - in reply to #59750)
Subject: RE: Self analysis and reflection

Iyengar's "Light on Life" is a great book that covers this stuff in a really warm and easy to understand way by one of the great masters on the earth, and I highly recommend you read it.

Yes we can analyze too much, some things simply are-and that's that, acceptance can be virtuous not defeatist, and harmony can be more important than improvement.

I don't remember exactly how he put it but it was something like

self concious versus self awareness

riftweaver
Posted 2006-07-26 10:10 AM (#59767 - in reply to #59755)
Subject: RE: Self analysis and reflecti

SCThornley - 2006-07-26 8:57 AM
Yes we can analyze too much, some things simply are...

Oh boy, is that my problem! Especially this last couple of weeks (in a new relationship).

But I'm learning to recognize when I do it, and let go. Or try to.

I have two blogs, one about general "stuff" and one I recently started about my yoga. I talk about what's going on with me, but I don't get overly analytical, nor do I feel self-centered for writing about myself. I view any personal information that I share, as a means of communicating with people who want to know what's going on in my life. Since my audience is random people and a small number of friends. Of course, the main blog also doubles as a journal.

--Jason
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-07-27 1:59 PM (#59994 - in reply to #59750)

I totally understand your point and often I feel the same. I constantly feel like all I'm doing is analysing myself and my reactions to everything - whether it was right, whether it was wrong, did I approach it in a 'yogic' enough way etcetc - it drives me nuts. I want to find a way to reach out to others and not to internalise everything which runs counter to the kind of life I want to live. Everything I analyse and reflect about though has to do with being and becoming a better person and being all that I can be so I can live life in harmony which will ultimately affect my relationships with other people. Not selfish if I really think about it but I just feel like its so ME ME ME and I feel stuck in my own head a lot of the time!!

Sunnybird

Oh Riftweaver, how do I set up a blog?! Wouldn't mind putting one together so I can keep a check on my feelings and how yoga is affecting me (ME AGAIN).....LOL

Edited by Sunnybird 2006-07-27 2:20 PM
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-07-27 2:11 PM (#59997 - in reply to #59750)

Yes, one can definitely overdo the self-reflection crap. The best way to learn is to take care of someone else - ie, children, an elderly parent, animals.

You hardly ever find single moms consumed with self-analysis.

By the way, too much self-reflection in men is a turn-off to women. It's kind of unmanly to be consumed with yourself. Women look up to men who put other people first. (I love my WWII male patients!)

Just FYI.
riftweaver
Posted 2006-07-27 3:33 PM (#60013 - in reply to #59994)

*Sunnybird*
Oh Riftweaver, how do I set up a blog?! Wouldn't mind putting one together so I can keep a check on my feelings and how yoga is affecting me (ME AGAIN).....LOL

I use blogger.com. It's free and pretty easy to get started there. It walks you through creating a user account, a look and feel, and perhaps some basic options. You can optionally set up a profile about yourself (:D). That's it, then, you just start posting. All done in your web browser.

Edited by riftweaver 2006-07-27 3:41 PM
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-07-27 7:11 PM (#60039 - in reply to #59750)

Thanks for the info Riftweaver! And then once its all set up and I start posting, can anyone read my bloggs? Do I have to post daily? - sorry, not very yoga related!!

Sb
riftweaver
Posted 2006-07-27 7:42 PM (#60047 - in reply to #60039)

You can post anytime, as (in)frequently as you feel like. Three times a day, or three times a month, whatever you feel like.

Anyone can read your blog, they just have to know the web address for it. Or turn it up in a search, for example. So it's never going to be 100% private, if you were concerned about that.
belovedofthegod
Posted 2006-07-28 4:12 AM (#60074 - in reply to #59750)

Hi Lorien,

Whether doing self-reflection conciously or not doing self-reflection, our thoughts are nearly always centred upon our selves. When practicing self-reflection, particularly as expressed in a blog where our thoughts are physically written down, we actually notice where our thoughts are directed. It is not that outside self-reflection people aren't self-centred (or people not practicing self-reflection at all) - they just don't know,

R.
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-09-23 3:49 AM (#211684 - in reply to #59750)
Subject: Re: Self analysis and reflection

Veteran

Well, for me its always matter on your self consciousness.
liviapoinaru
Posted 2014-09-23 6:17 AM (#211693 - in reply to #59750)

In this global culture, we’re beings on the move. Magical vessels propel us through time zones and effortlessly lift us across borders, divides, languages, temperatures, smells and meridians. These same vessels then plop us down in faraway lands and we step out, expecting ourselves to acclimatize in a matter of moments to transformations it took the great ancestors ages to assimilate.
In the last years i`ve been working on this book, to get people starting on this beautiful path of yoga and meditation.
Since this is my first project, I would apreciate if people seeing this would give it a try, read it and share the experience with me. I am dedicated to expanding the identity, understanding and experience of yoga by crafting a yoga that is unique.
In order to access my ebook please go ahead and shoot an email at liviapoin13oct12@gmail.com, and in the shortest time possible i will reply. Thank you!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)