YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Teacher - best time to eat to maintain energy?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Molly
Posted 2010-04-30 6:33 AM (#122611)
Subject: Yoga Teacher - best time to eat to maintain energy?

Hi,

I started teaching Yoga in the new Year - things are going well and I am increasing the number of classes I run. My concern is to find the best time to eat to maintain my energy levels and to ensure that the content of my diet is optimising my performance. It's really tricky if you have a full schedule, to leave 2-3 hours between eating and exercise. Any advice would be much appreciated. I do not eat meat, but I do eat fish.

many thanks
Molly
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-04-30 7:56 AM (#122614 - in reply to #122611)
Subject: Re: Yoga Teacher - best time to eat to maintain energy?

I had trouble with that in the past as well Molly and never really got it down until I stopped worrying about it--seriously. When I'm teaching, I'm so into it that I don't feel hunger nor mild pain (like a headache I had before class). Once I realized that, the stress on when to eat vanished. AND I'm a firm believer in better living through chemistry and have coffee or similar prior to teaching if necessary.

Posted 2010-05-01 2:36 AM (#122629 - in reply to #122614)

Hello Molly,

As you are well aware, there is a concept in Yoga called asteya. It, along with nine other precepts, comprise the Yamas and Niyamas. This is part of the applied philosophy of yoga practice and it was classically the first place students started learning (rather than asana, which was only allowed after the mastery of Y&M).

When we, as teachers of yoga, do not rest when our body needs it, not only do we ignore our physiology but we also model that behavior for students AND inhibit our ability to guide them with integrity, as we can only teach what we are living. The same is true with our approach to other elements of the practice, including nutrition. So this thing that you ask is very important both for your own body and for the teachings being offered to the students.

I am a bit perplexed about the nature of your exercise during any given day. How often are you exercising such that meals can't be had with a two hour cushion for digestion? I believe the answer to this question will be revealing (at least to me).

I tend to spread my eating out over the entire day (in what some would call small meals) and I eat certain powerful foods that nourish the cells, while avoiding things that zap rather than provide - like sugar, processed foods, "energy" bars (especially the ones with soy isolates) wheat, and dairy. Additionally, the teacher can be zapped in an energetic rather than physiologic fashion. Teachers should protect their energy so that they are not taking on the energy of the student, which we all know can be a bit heavy or toxic.

Of course when other efforts fall short, you could examine the schedule you have selected/chosen and evaluate it's consequences on your well being.

gordon

Edited by purnayoga 2010-05-01 2:39 AM
vibes
Posted 2010-05-01 11:06 AM (#122645 - in reply to #122629)

Extreme Veteran

As Bruce said-Dont worry yourself. When you worry you lose much benefit from eating anyway. As you become more skilled you will find that teaching and practicing and helping someone to learn are all very different. So you wont find it necessary to leave such big gaps eating before classes.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-15 4:17 PM (#208668 - in reply to #122611)
Subject: RE: Yoga Teacher - best time to eat to maintain energy?

Regular

Please refer the link given below. I hope you get a proper solution to all your queries out here.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/breath-body-balance/2010/03/what-to-eat-before-and-after-yoga.html
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)