YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Too much yoga for my arms :(
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Loob
Posted 2008-04-14 10:16 PM (#106250)
Subject: Too much yoga for my arms :(

Greetings all!

It seems since Ive started bikram, my arms which used to be pretty lean and slender, has gotten too toned and quite beefy within my workouts then anywhere else. MUCH more toned then I like.
Am I using my arms in the posture with too much force, extending it too far, holding the poses too long?? Should I not bring my arms down as slowly anymore?

Or is there any excersices anyone can recommend that can get my arms back to being slim as they were before?

Its just that Ive worked so hard the past year watching what I eat and jogging to get my body the way I wanted it. But ever since Ive started yoga on a whim, I have gained weight, which I have come to terms with and I dont mind at all because Im reaping so many other benefits! But my arms are my most self conscious part of my body, so it really bums me out and discourages me from bikram.

Any suggestions to help please.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chatoyancy
Posted 2008-04-14 11:18 PM (#106254 - in reply to #106250)
Subject: RE: Too much yoga for my arms

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I've always associated "beefy" arms with weight-training. When I practice yoga regularly my arms go from flabby to lean and toned. But then, I'm usually out of shape and overweight.

I'm sure somebody here will be able to offer good advice.
Rant
Posted 2008-04-15 3:21 PM (#106274 - in reply to #106250)
Subject: RE: Too much yoga for my arms :(

How long have you been doing Bikram's?
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-04-15 5:23 PM (#106280 - in reply to #106250)

There's not much in Bikram that works very hard on arm strength. Off the top of my head, I can think of the following:

Pulling on heels in standing head to knee.
Raised arms throughout awkward pose.
Forward stretch in balanciing stick.
Bicep pulling in wind removing.
Locust and Full Locust

It's hard for me to see how any of this could really make your arms "beefy." And, it seems to me, that you are gaining arm strength from the arm work you do get in Bikram, its probably arm strength that you need. What have your teachers said about this?

I'd also be curious to know whether other people agree with you on your arm assessment. The mere fact that you have been gaining weight in Bikram suggests to me that you were in need of gaining some muscle mass. Sometimes what our body needs doesn't necessarily jibe with our self-image. That raises the question of which is more important, or more realistic. It may well be that you look better with your newfound arm tone. Of course, I can't know, one way or the other without seeing you. But it's just possible that you aren't the best judge of it either. Then again, I could be totally wrong.

Duffy
Chatoyancy
Posted 2008-04-16 3:34 PM (#106336 - in reply to #106250)

I have a quick question for you, Loob:

When you look at your arms, are you looking down at them or are you looking at them in a mirror? I've found that just looking down at my arms gives a distorted perspective and isn't a good way for me to judge my shape. When I look at them in a mirror they don't look nearly as large and I can better see my muscle tone. It's a much more accurate view.

Edited by Chatoyancy 2008-04-16 3:34 PM
Andre
Posted 2008-04-16 5:01 PM (#106338 - in reply to #106250)

Extreme Veteran

When I first started and when I've been away for a while or not practicing regularly, my arms scream in awkward pose. But, I love the tone. I've not seen bulk. So I do find that interesting. I feel like I have more muscles via Yoga than jogging or hoops. So remember, muscle weighs more. Weight gain alone might not be anything to be discouraged about.
yogabrian
Posted 2008-04-16 7:24 PM (#106343 - in reply to #106250)

Have you changed your nutrition? Are you eating more then normal? Have you added something or moved your eating schedule around?
Ram
Posted 2008-04-17 12:11 PM (#106373 - in reply to #106250)

I have done a lot of weight training and power yoga in my life. Now those work your arms much more then bikram. I have been able to maintain some muscle tone in my arms but I think its virtually impossible to get "beefy" arms from bikram. Tone yes, Beef no.

Diet may be the culprit here. Women tend to gain flabby fat on the back of their arms. I wonder if thats the "beef" she is referring to.
Loob
Posted 2008-04-23 1:12 AM (#106563 - in reply to #106250)

marcia
Posted 2008-04-24 8:35 PM (#106610 - in reply to #106250)

Funny you are questioning your arms, I have noticed lately that my arms are looking better than they ever have before and I know it's from Bikram Yoga. I use to lift all the time so I know beefy! I am loving my sculpted arms now that I don't lift anymore and just do yoga. A lot of it for me has to do with what exactly I am eating. I love the cut look and I wasn't even trying for it, it just happened. I think being healthy should be the main goal and you should look at your healthy arms in the mirror and love them and be proud of them, then maybe you will see the beauty.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)