YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

teaching in community centers?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

jubuliant
Posted 2006-01-02 11:25 PM (#40104)
Subject: teaching in community centers?

i am going to be teaching in a community center and was curious what i could use for mats or blocks since they do not have access to mats or blocks? any suggestions?

thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-01-02 11:59 PM (#40105 - in reply to #40104)
Subject: RE: teaching in community centers?

Expert Yogi

My teacher used to carry a whole Iyengar studio in the trunk of her car - tough on the gas mileage! No mats is a bit tricky but not impossible. Lots of people will have their own mats now since they are cheaper and easier to get. You may find that if they have had aerobics classes there you will have some steps from step class that come in handy. You will just have to get really good at using your imagination and whatever you find there. Let us know how it goes!
mishoga
Posted 2006-01-03 7:57 AM (#40108 - in reply to #40104)

Expert Yogi

Hey Deb,
At three different locations (Two Village Halls/Community Center, and one School). they do not provide props.
When you send out flyers or advertise, make sure you say "all that is needed is a yoga sticky mat and small towel or blanket". If they (community center) advertises, ask them to place that bit of information in the add.

One place I teach I have to make two trips out to my car. I bring a few bolsters, a meditation seat, straps, my music system, etc.....

You definitely have to go with the flow and make good with what is avail. It all works if you let it (hey isn't that someone's signature?).

Good luck!!!
Mishy
Gruvemom
Posted 2006-01-03 9:01 AM (#40111 - in reply to #40108)
Subject: RE: teaching in community cent

My very first teacher carried everything but mats in her car.  She had two huge (military) duffels stuffed with blocks, blankets, straps and bolsters.  Those of us who stuck with her more than one session usually ended up buying our own props.

She had a small wheeled dolly w/ a rope that she put the two duffels on and dragged them from the car to the community center.
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-01-03 9:33 AM (#40115 - in reply to #40104)

It also depends on the type of class and the type of floor in the community center. I taught a very gentle senior yoga at a church. Since the poses were not very extreme (many involved chairs) and the room had a low-pile carpet, we didn't use mats at all. I did have towels available for those who wanted them under their knees or wrists, or if they wanted to use them as a mat. I did bring my own mat to class and told them where they could find them inexpensively, but nobody seemed interested enough to pursue it.
jubuliant
Posted 2006-01-03 9:49 AM (#40117 - in reply to #40104)

Thanks so much for the info, from what i understand they do not have any props there at all.. for now i will improvise and see how it goes..and then decide if i should invest in my own supplies for these type of classes.

thanks again

namaste
tourist
Posted 2006-01-03 10:06 AM (#40119 - in reply to #40117)

Expert Yogi

Chairs - I had forgotten chairs! They are wonderful props and that is something most centres have. You can also make yourself a cheap bunch of straps from D rings and nylon webbing or with no sewing at all, haunt the thrift shops and pick up karate belts for under a buck each. The fun thing about those is they are nice and colourful I have also been in a number of studios who use sytrofoam blocks, which makes the lugging easier. I don't like the feel or sound of them but I would think they are pretty cheap to make.
mishoga
Posted 2006-01-03 10:44 AM (#40125 - in reply to #40104)

Expert Yogi

Tourist, what a ditzbrain am I. I forgot about the chairs. Yeah the two community centers I teach at have chairs and I use them.
Sorry not to mention that Deb. Use them if they have them avail, especially if the student isn't comfortable in sukhasana
Mishy
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-01-03 11:22 AM (#40126 - in reply to #40104)

I've also purchased a lot of old neckties at garage sales (like 4 for a buck or so) and use those as straps. Some of the designs are very gaudy and they make everyone laugh.
Ravi
Posted 2006-01-03 3:33 PM (#40136 - in reply to #40104)

Om,

I purchased mats on ebay pretty cheap, I got 12 mats for $40.00.............. you can get some pretty good deals if you look......

Om Shanti,
Ravi
monicacrane
Posted 2006-01-20 7:57 PM (#41560 - in reply to #40104)

Hi! I teach classes in various workplaces and did invest in some mats and Mexican blankets (which are perfect for cushions, yoga nidra and props). I bought a bunch of Karate belts at the thrift store for straps as well. I was able to get the mats at wholesale because I bought a quantity and got a few extra to sell at retail. I have 2 of those luggage trolleys (from the thrift) to which I've strapped 2 of those round expanding garden bins and it is really easy to wheel it all from place to place! Monica
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)