YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

60 day Challenge
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

salsa girl
Posted 2008-04-03 6:51 AM (#105800)
Subject: 60 day Challenge

As I posted on another thread, I am new to Bikram (have done 14 classes, I think) and have just started a 60 day challenge (6 classes a week for 10 weeks) this week - today was Day 4. I thought I would start a new thread to post my experiences, comments and questions as I go!

Tue, Wed and Thur I take the 6am class, of which the only drawback is - and I can't believe I am saying this - that it is not hot enough! My hamstrings are so flexible at an evening class, but felt like tight rubber bands today, and are quite sore now. But on the flip side, as I am not distracted at any point by dizziness / being overwhelmed by the heat, I am fully focused in these classes on improving my form in the postures.

After 3 6am classes in a row though, I am sure my next evening class will be challenging

Lisa
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-04-03 6:59 AM (#105801 - in reply to #105800)
Subject: RE: 60 day Challenge

OMG! Flashbacks! I used to go to 0600 Bikram classes. The instructor would sit in the corner spouting the monologue while drinking hazlenut coffee--that smell would waft throughout the room making me want to wretch.
Polly
Posted 2008-04-03 9:19 AM (#105805 - in reply to #105800)

hahaha wow that would be frustrating!

i love the 6am classes because of the opportunity to focus on the poses as opposed to the heat. I wear capri pants and a tshirt to stay warmer.

Does anyone know where to get a 6am class in Ottawa, ON, Canada?
Andre
Posted 2008-04-03 12:15 PM (#105808 - in reply to #105800)

Extreme Veteran

When I first started doing Bikrams, I did mostly 9am classes. It wasn't until I had been practicing for 6-8 months that I started doing the 4:30pm classes regularly, and started to notice that they were easier in some ways. I don't think it's the heat of the room (for me) but that my body has been up and moving for 8-10 hours, and getting into hands to feet pose was much easier. Going back to am classes now, I definitely take it easier in the first sets of pose in the standing series.
Ram
Posted 2008-04-03 12:30 PM (#105810 - in reply to #105800)

your limber in the afternoon because you have been moving all day and your own body temp. is at its highest around 4 pm. Its at its lowest at 4 am.
yoga-addict
Posted 2008-04-03 4:55 PM (#105813 - in reply to #105800)

Veteran

It sounds like you have your own solution though- focus on the postures and form when you are stiffer in the morning and it's not as hot. Then work less in the hotter classes but try to go deeper.
salsa girl
Posted 2008-04-06 7:37 AM (#105897 - in reply to #105800)

Well, 1st week down! I have tried to start this challenge to coincide with the diet my naturopath has put me on, so my Bikram practice could assist in the detox process - but I must admit I have only been 60 - 70% successful sticking to the diet, so looking to improve that this week. However, my body has coped well with the 6 classes, although my hamstrings were very tight this morning even though it was a very hot class. In a hot class I can usually get my knee locked out easily in stretching pose, but not today! Yesterday I did the afternoon class, so I can probably put the tightness down to a combination of morning class and not a lot of recovery time in between classes.

I don't know if I will ever be able to see my toes in Eagle though, it feels like my legs are just too short?

The first thing about Bikram that amazes me is how my body and mind respond so differently every class. It is really helping me with some other issues to start developing an increased awareness of how my habits/lifestyle outside the room affect the performance of my whole system.

Lisa
salsa girl
Posted 2008-04-13 6:11 AM (#106183 - in reply to #105800)

2nd week done.. and obviously I haven't had time to post! Had a couple of different experiences this last week. On Monday, I had a very stressful day at work, didn't eat very well, and was fully expecting class to be horrible - but it was the exact opposite, it was fabulous! My breathing was great all the way through, I went deeper than I had before in all postures, and even did toe stand for the first time. I now have a yearning to experience this again that will keep me going back!

I feel that I am working through some emotions that have been there for quite some time; had some tears during and after class twice during the week, but feel much lighter of spirit for it. I did a couple of classes up close to the mirror and did find it quite confronting - reminded me of a self esteem exercise that encourages you to look into your own eyes in a mirror and repeatedly say "You are beautiful" and similar phrases.

The studio owner asked me where I had been practising previously, I haven't, but she thought my practice was very strong and not that of a beginner, so that was a nice feeling!

On Eagle .. I have a feeling I MAY see those toes one day after all.. but only in shorts in a really humid class!

L xo

salsa girl
Posted 2008-04-23 8:14 PM (#106585 - in reply to #105800)

Halfway through week 4 ... tomorrow being Anzac Day (Public Holiday) I am going to have my first attempt at a double in one day and do the 9:30am and 6:00pm , so I can have a day off on Saturday .

My hamstrings are sore, my calves are aching, I am tired today after rising at 5:20am three days in a row for 6:00am classes, but overall feeling quite relaxed and well.

I take back what I said about Eagle - those toes ain't going to make it round ever, I swear! And I can only do toe stand on one side, but brought the elbows down on both sides in standing head to knee today!

Lisa
marcia
Posted 2008-04-23 9:24 PM (#106586 - in reply to #105800)

Good for you!! Doing the 60 day challenge I definitely learned a lot about myself and my body. I love doing the evening classes, I am always more warmed up and rockin' in the evening. I also love doing the 6am. classes, I think it's a beautiful way to wake up in the morning. I am verrrrrry stiff in the morning though. My hams are tight to say the least. I only doubled on 2 days because I was flying one day and working late the next. My instructor told me to go every day and not to have the mind set of taking a day off. It was very tough but I am so glad I did it. On the days when I didn't want to go are the days that I needed to go the most. I would of been depriving myself out of stretching, sweating and meditating. It's the mind that usually screws me out of great experiences.
salsa girl
Posted 2008-05-01 1:42 AM (#106835 - in reply to #105800)

Thanks Marcia! I didn't end up doing the double; didn't take a day off! There was one girl a couple of weeks ago at my studio that was doing the challenge and to make up a class at the end of the week she had to do a double back to back - 4:00pm and 6:00pm!

In the middle of week 5 now .. I know its already Thursday but Monday is usually my non Yoga day because I dance, so 3rd class today with Fri, Sat and Sun to come.

Today was a beautiful class. I don't usually have the opportunity to do a 9:30am class during the week, but have a bad cold and my boss encouraged me to come in late. I thought class may be a struggle because I am not well, but having a bit of a sleep in was much needed and definitely helped.

Anyway, there was a lovely energy in the class, the heat wasn't overwhelming, it was raining outside and my balance was great!

Lisa x
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)