YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

in defense of this forum
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

miss dee
Posted 2005-03-12 9:24 AM (#18829)
Subject: in defense of this forum

So many complaints about this forum going "down the tubes" and becoming so negative.

Let’s look a little closer:
This just an accurate gage of how things are in the community as a whole. Many parts of the hot yoga community are upset and at odds. We are trying to find ourselves and figure out what we like- who we are. many of us have been 'programmed' and even threatened to worry and wonder if it's 'legal' or even 'okay' to think for ourselves and have our own opinions about the asanas.

I like these forums. I LOVE hot yoga!

I love seeing everyone express themselves- making their points and challenging another's. This is why I come to post about hot yoga in this place and not 'the other' place. The sense of freedom- space and kindred. A real love of THE YOGA not blind loyality to a Teacher. To silence ourselves- to shrink away- to bully others- all these are a detriment to our growth as yogis and as human beings.

Easy does it people.
Listen to others. Keep an open mind and an open heart.
And most importantly, please please keep posting!

Yours in Sweat,
Dee
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-03-12 9:41 AM (#18834 - in reply to #18829)
Subject: RE: in defense of this forum

What a fine, altruistic appeal for reason and sanity--cheers to you Darla. We do need to address your closing line though--"Yours in sweat"--might be hard to get a date using that. Although it's better than say, "Yours in herpes" or "Death to the infidels."
tourist
Posted 2005-03-12 10:10 AM (#18841 - in reply to #18829)

Expert Yogi

Your point is very valid. There would have been a time for example, when I Sivananda board would have reflected the turmoil in the ranks. When someone has a bad experience somewhere, it is natural to want to let others know. I know someone who has a similar philosophy to restaurants - if he has a bad meal or service, he feels it is not worth his effort to complain to management (sopemtimes it is clear that the management IS the problem...) so he just makes sure he never goes back to the place again and makes it his mission to tell everyone he knows how bad it was and recommend that they not go there. Vote with your wallet and spread the word
innerline
Posted 2005-03-12 11:33 AM (#18850 - in reply to #18829)

I believe we are alive to feel what ever comes our way. Where we get stuck is when we resist feeling an experience, real or potential(fear). Then it gets stuck to us and we get split between what is there and our resistance to it. People might not like what they percieve as negativity in the forum and resist it, which can easily be a form of denial of what is. Finding our voice and greater truthfulness is what this forum can help us with. The truth can hurt if your minds motives are to keep an image proped-up so you can feel good or right about yourself or the truth is liberating if you don't believe your own mind and don't need to. No resistance leads to having a choice. Resistance leads to buildup and heavyness and uncouisness with no possibilty for a choice. What I mean by resistance is : resistance to what is, not somebody or what they say, so resistance to what comes up for you by what somebody says. Kinda convoluted.

miss dee: In your little picture of balancing stick it "looks like" you are hyper-extending your knee which is playing into the back over holding. Looks like poor balance in the foot. (What comes up everyone from my statement)
ebenjen
Posted 2005-03-12 12:52 PM (#18854 - in reply to #18829)

I participated in this forum a long time ago (under a different username) and left due to what I perceived as an abundance of hostility and negativity. On a whim I came back the other day and saw a few voices pleading for sanity so I decided to give it another whirl. There's no reason that differences of opinion or critical debate must necessarily lead to anger, defensiveness or just downright nastiness, all of which I have seen demonstrated here. Fortunately, the more recent discussions seem to be taking on a tone of civility and I am encouraged by that. Having said that and to tget to the point of the thread...

Being a Bikram Yoga studio owner "in good standing" with Bikram I am familiar with most of the controversies swirling around in the "community". The main thing that I see lacking is a reasoned debate. There is so much speculation, innuendo, rumors, opinion and misunderstandings going on that it is rare to hear an honest exchange of ideas. It is therefore refreshing for me to have read some of miss dee's posts (and a few others). It gives me hope that there may indeed be some benefit to joining the forum again.

So, I guess after all that, this is just a "me, too!" post. I also love hot yoga (I prefer the Bikram Method) and I enjoy talking about it with others who share my passion, and am willing to listen with an open mind and heart to the opinions of those who don't share that passion.
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-12 1:18 PM (#18856 - in reply to #18850)

INNERLINE: "miss dee: In your little picture of balancing stick it "looks like" you are hyper-extending your knee which is playing into the back over holding. Looks like poor balance in the foot."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

???
uh, okay. if you say so.
rather out of left field there.

dee

miss dee
Posted 2005-03-12 1:22 PM (#18857 - in reply to #18854)

yay brian!

yay yoga!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-12 2:35 PM (#18866 - in reply to #18856)

Expert Yogi

Did you know that you can download these little avatar photos and view
them at full size on your own computer? Know I know what Bruce and Stefan
actually look like.

Edited by Bay Guy 2005-03-12 2:53 PM
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-12 2:53 PM (#18871 - in reply to #18866)

Bay Guy - 2005-03-14 1:35 PM
Did you know that you can actually download these little avatar photos and view
them at full size on your own computer? Know I know what Bruce and Stefan
actually look like.

no, i thought i was 'safe' being teeny tiny. now you know what i look like.(in training)

this was me @ bikram teacher training (spring 2000), after an asana class.
you know, the routine "take a shot of my *insert posture here* so i can see it".
innerline's corrections might have been on target, i just remember how wiped out i was when it was taken and thought it was pretty dang good for as bad as i felt.

i am sure NOW my postures are much better
and my balancing stick no doubt flawless...

*hey! hey you! no cameras!*
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-12 3:01 PM (#18873 - in reply to #18871)

Expert Yogi

Know you know why I am represented by Sri Ganesha
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-12 3:27 PM (#18875 - in reply to #18873)

there now... that's better.

i'll hang out with Neem Karoli Baba for a bit.

innerline
Posted 2005-03-14 12:35 PM (#19042 - in reply to #18829)

Thats funny it was a old picture from training dee. There is nothing better out their than the Bikram training to get really out of alignment. I had a student go to training and Bikram comment to him while in a posture, "Your postures are great, now do them the way I tell you". Meaning , hyper-extend your knees, poor balance in the feet, strain your back and kneck, struggle and go into effort so you have no chance for a deep experience. But your ego can feel like it is doing something. I to wish all can be nice and we can have clear communication. Its just that we talk with our ego's and are ego's are their to make up for our inability to see and be with realiity, what is. So it is inherent in the forum to bring out what is imbalanced. Hopefully it serves as a mirror, does for me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)