YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Master Cleanser and Bikram's
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

JoyceH
Posted 2008-06-04 9:16 AM (#108110)
Subject: Master Cleanser and Bikram's

I got back from an Italian holiday a couple weeks ago and gained about 5-6 lbs ( was 117 on the day I flew out and I'm 5' 7'). Still it's not budging even with my yoga. Normally I'm a raw foodist who eats mostly vegan. In Italy I ate a lot of cheese, pasta and gelati. I'm thinking of doing the MC (Master Cleanser) since I've known many who've been successful at it. I just want to clean out my system from all the gross pasta and dairy which didn't do me much good (although it was worth it since the food was wonderful)

My question is this: Has anyone done the MC for the 10 day duration while simultaneoulsy practicing Bikram's yoga?

If you're not familar with the MC, it will sound rather hokey. It's popular amoung raw foodists and many have tried it on a popular raw food website where I spend a lot of time reading and learning about the raw food diet which is facinating (I totally love eating this way) www.goneraw.com

Top of the page Bottom of the page
JoyceH
Posted 2008-06-04 11:52 AM (#108114 - in reply to #108110)
Subject: RE: Master Cleanser and Bikram's

Can I delete this post? I decided against doing the MC along with the yoga.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-04 2:22 PM (#108128 - in reply to #108114)

Expert Yogi

Hi Joyce,

I too did an Italy trip for an entire month, earlier this year. I had some of the same issues going on as far as the diet I ate while there, although, I didn't find it too bad. It was mainly re-climatizing myself that was the hardest part. I loved the Olio, the wine and expresso!!! I found their sweet desserts were not that sweet.

What has helped me is, I just got back into my walking routine. Even though, I walked everywhere in Italy too, it was just different. I like to walk at least 4 miles, 5 times a week. Then, I just eliminated all the dairy out of my diet, not all, but mostly. I replaced milk with soy milk. No sugar, no milk chocolate and absolutely no cookies. For snacks, I eat plain popcorn. Then allow yourself to time and patience. Good luck.
Andre
Posted 2008-06-04 5:47 PM (#108137 - in reply to #108110)

Extreme Veteran

Can we leave it, Joyce? I think it's an interesting topic. I like to know what other people are doing in conjunction with Bikrams. For me, Bikrams cleans me out great. If I'm feeling wonky, not sick but not having eaten all that great, I pay attention to my diet, and try to go 3-4 days in a row. Works wonders.
Ram
Posted 2008-06-05 1:08 PM (#108169 - in reply to #108110)

personally I dont believe any extreme diet is healthy. I do agree from my research dairy eating particularily in the U.S. is very bad for you. I limit my dairy but dont completly eliminate it. Eating fresh organic fruits and veggies (live foods) are an important part of any diet.

As for detoxifiying I do think Bikram offers that more then any form of yoga.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-05 1:44 PM (#108170 - in reply to #108169)

Expert Yogi

I do have a problem with milk here in the US. However, I do love Fage's Greek Yogurt. That is my main dairy source. Today I had it with Tupelo Honey, Strawberries, and fresh Georgia Peaches. That was my lunch.

But, yes, extreme diets, too less or too much is definitely not good for you. The best way to make yourself healthier and get rid of excess is to exercise and eat moderately. It's very simple. Unfortunately its so simple that you can't market it,
JoyceH
Posted 2008-06-05 4:01 PM (#108175 - in reply to #108110)

Yeah, I don't mind if we keep it. Just wasn't sure how it would go over. But seems like a good healthy diet and Bikram yoga go hand in hand.

As a raw foodist I don't really consider it extreme. When out in social situations, I am pretty relaxed and just stay vegetarian. At home and during the week I just naturally eat mostly raw food consisting of green smoothies and huge kale salads packed with all kinds go good stuff like avocados, olive oil, veggies, hemp seeds, dulse flakes, etc....Weekends I sometimes make those fancy complicated gourmet raw recipes like red beet raviolis, veggie lasagna, zucchini wraps, nut cheezes, nut mylks, etc......for memorial day weekend I even put some raw "hot dogs" (made of veggies and nuts and liquid smoke flavoring) in my food dehydrator which turned out pretty darn good. Raw food is not for everyone (although I wish it was). I never heard of it until last summer. It's pretty popular in California with raw restaurants popping up everywhere. Lucky folks out there!!!!!!At first it sounded awful. But after reading about all the delicious healhy organic recipes I could make, I was hooked. Breads, cookies, pies, even a raw cheesecake made of cashews, agave, coconut oil, etc....yum...all organic and healthy ingredients are used. No white sugar or white flour or anything yucky that you find in most American processed foods...

Anyone see the documentary KING CORN yet - now that is extreme and most Amercians are totally clueless about Industrial farming and how corn is in most everything they eat.

Anyway, enough of that. I decided to do a green smoothie cleanse beginning tomorrow for 7 - 10 days along with my Bikram yoga. I go about 3-5 times a week. The green smoothies should give me plenty of energy for yoga as well as clean out and ramp up my system.

Cyndi - glad you also got to spend time in Italy. I'm patiently waiting for a wine and truffle oil shipment from Tenuta Torciana just outside of San Gimignano. And I do miss the cafe latte as well! Best espresso ever!
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-05 4:19 PM (#108176 - in reply to #108175)

Expert Yogi

Hi Joyce,

Actually, from a TCM, Traditional Chinese Medicine standpoint, raw foods are definitely NOT for everyone. I'm one of those that cannot, as raw foods are too cooling. I can only handle moderate amounts of raw produce in the summertime months, and in the winter months, as long as I balance it carefully, I can eat ensaladas, most of the time.

Sounds like you don't need to worry about this. You probably just need to allow yourself the time to get back into your diet routine and let the pounds drop naturally. Meanwhile, don't worry and just do your practice. Take care
Chatoyancy
Posted 2008-06-06 2:41 PM (#108197 - in reply to #108110)
Subject: RE: Master Cleanser and Bikram

Wow--Italy! I hardly eat dairy anymore, but I'd probably overdo the cheese if I went there!

Sounds like you've got a plan now, but I figured I'd pitch my 2 cents in anyway.

You could add certain things to your diet for the next month or so to assist the detox process: A tablespoon of lemon juice in a warm cup of water each morning, a small amount of unsweetened cranberry juice concentrate in your daily water bottle, garbanzo beans, flax seeds, pysilium husks or pysillium husk capsules, etc... These are all items that aid detox without knocking you flat on your hiney.

Edited by Chatoyancy 2008-06-06 2:41 PM
JoyceH
Posted 2008-06-06 3:14 PM (#108201 - in reply to #108110)

Chatoyancy - thanks for the tips on some gentle detoxing.

Yeah I ate a ton of cheese in Italy. One day when I had no options for a fresh salad or fresh fruit in a little country bar (caffe), I ate this huge four cheese sandwhich on big thick bread. I'd never eat that here in the US but it was heavenly in this tiny Tuscan town. The bread and cheeses were just soooo good. Life is short and it was fun trying the local favorites...even if I still seem to have that cheese sandwhich lingering around in my poor digestive system...eeeek....

I'm passing the time till I can leave for my yoga class in 45 minutes....

Oh yoga and green smoothies, please make me feel good again
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-06 9:47 PM (#108207 - in reply to #108201)

Expert Yogi

Hey Joyce,

That is so funny about the cheese in Italy. I didn't have much of a problem when I stayed there in the winter. My in-laws had ensalada for us every evening. Some days we had vegetable minestrone and bread with olio....ah, it was so good. My mother-in-law made killer Couscous.

The main thing when in Italy, you have to drink the Vino to help break down the cheese for digestion purposes...it's a well known fact,
ellesig
Posted 2008-07-07 12:56 PM (#108941 - in reply to #108110)

Master Cleanse + Bikram = Pass out

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)