YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

heat works too good
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

hnia
Posted 2008-04-02 1:16 PM (#105763)
Subject: heat works too good

I don't understand why my body becomes so flexible in that room with this series. That heat works too good on me. I was like a circus show last night.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-04-02 1:27 PM (#105767 - in reply to #105763)
Subject: RE: heat works too good

lol! that's hilarious.

i find that, when i'm not swelling from too much heat, a bit of heat does make the practice easier (for me, no more than 85 F and right now, no more than 80 F!).

i don't know if i'd say "circus" style, but still more depth.
hnia
Posted 2008-04-02 2:01 PM (#105772 - in reply to #105767)

It had to be 105 degrees in there. It felt kinda freaky, like anything was possible.

Camel was like a resting posture. I really like the way that series opens my back. Well, the forward bends were really deep too, actually.

Posted 2008-04-03 12:47 AM (#105793 - in reply to #105763)

hehehe - i know the feeling! sometimes my body feels so ridiculous, i feel like i'm going to be able to do ANY posture that i try!! i love discovering the new frontiers...
Flaggirl
Posted 2008-04-11 12:22 AM (#106117 - in reply to #105763)

It's crazy!! When I'm in my Bikram class I can actually touch my toes.

Posted 2008-04-11 12:53 AM (#106119 - in reply to #105763)

When I'm in Bikram class, I can do the half moon backbend and see my feet from the wrong side!! Cirque de Soleil here I come!!

Psst - 105 is not even that hot - that is like the MINIMUM heat you should have. I don't even feel hot at 105 anymore - just nice and sweaty and juicy. Mmm, now I can't wait for class tomorrow night...

Posted 2008-04-11 12:58 AM (#106120 - in reply to #105763)

Oh by the way - just because you CAN rest in camel doesn't mean you SHOULD. You can always push the hips forward more and lift the chest up more, and look for your feet if you're not already seeing them! You can get a really good stretch along the front of the body as well as a compression in your back.
hnia
Posted 2008-04-11 10:04 AM (#106124 - in reply to #106120)

I'll try that in camel next time thanks.

Posted 2008-04-11 10:29 AM (#106125 - in reply to #105763)

technically, you do not want a compression in your back. when i do camel or any deep back bend, i never feel a compression. i do feel a very strong muscular movement (contraction) in various back muscles), but never any pinches or compression of the spine.

the movement of the legs, the support of the belly, and the lifting upwards of the chest (in the case of camel pose) creates space between each vertibrae as one moves deeper and deeper into the muscular contraction.

and it doesn't hurt like hell or anything else. it does feel great. but it does also take effort (which can read as discomfort for some people).

this is just to clarify the use of terms, because people talk a lot about "not compressing" this or that, and so i wanted to note that there isn't a compression (bone-on-bone) in the back here, and if there is, then the alignment is off (even for bikramites. )

Posted 2008-04-11 10:32 AM (#106126 - in reply to #105763)

oh, and if you don't 'feel hot' in the heat, try adding in some pranayama (ujjayi breathing) while in the heat. then you'll feel warmer. if you want.

Posted 2008-04-11 12:38 PM (#106130 - in reply to #105772)

hnia - 2008-04-02 11:01 AM

It had to be 105 degrees in there. It felt kinda freaky, like anything was possible.

Camel was like a resting posture. I really like the way that series opens my back. Well, the forward bends were really deep too, actually.

hnia,
My younger daughter, age 18, is very flexible. She needs to put her hands flat on the floor to get a good back stretch in camel. This may be the next step for you. Just make sure that you extend your spine and tuck your tailbone so that you don't scrunch your lower back.
jimg

Edited by jimg 2008-04-11 12:40 PM
hnia
Posted 2008-04-11 12:45 PM (#106131 - in reply to #106130)

Yea, I'm really blessed for an old guy.

Thanks Jim.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-11 4:14 PM (#106138 - in reply to #106131)

Expert Yogi

Well I hate to be the party pooper here...cause I KNOW too well what's going on...however, BEE careful going too deep in the postures with the heat. Sometimes, it can be a set up for a pain later. What I try to do is not hold certain postures too long...especially the more challenging ones. This is where listening to your body gets tricky cause the heat disguises everything. I say this mainly to beginners. You seasoned ones know already by now,
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)