YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Community Work
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

yogi-boy
Posted 2006-02-06 10:22 PM (#43014)
Subject: Community Work

I've been preparing mself to volounteer my services to a Welfare Org as part of my belief of giving back to the community. I wanted to work with Abuse Survivors / Substance Abusers. A few friends suggested I charge the organisation but get them to find funding. That way I'd be assurred of a long-term contract. Another suggested I find the funding and then offer the package.

I was inspired to give soemthing for 'nothing'. Being completely altruisitic.

Now I have these suggestions that money is an exchange of energy / not to burn myself out...

PRO: I get paid to do something I love working with causes I feel passionate about.
Cons: Not doing it for the right reasons. Money or no money.

Alternatively, I can offer my services, besides teaching yoga, elsewhere and draw a distiction. (eg: I want to read books to abandoned children a few times a month.)

Any yogic-suggestions on how to go forward?

Edited by yogi-boy 2006-02-06 10:23 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-02-06 11:54 PM (#43019 - in reply to #43014)
Subject: RE: Community Work

Expert Yogi

Unfortunately, the average, kindly, casual volunteering gig is being complicated by all kinds of rules and regs. We have had to check and see if our insurance covers us when we volunteer in our own studio (putting on free classes, etc.), which it does and if it does in other areas (it doesn't, unless we do something - I forget what...) and whether or not we are covered by Worker's Compensation blah, blah... To volunteer, especially with vulnerable communties like children, many areas require criminal record checks, which cost the "employer" money here, at least. It is just much simpler in many ways to hire someone than to haver them volunteer. Strange world, eh?
Ravi
Posted 2006-02-07 3:23 AM (#43030 - in reply to #43014)

Om Namah Sivaya
Yogi-Boy,

It is warming to see someone wanting to give back to the community. First and foremost, volunteer and forget financial compensation.
Peform your Karma Yoga (act of selfless service) with all of your heart, give peace, love, and compassion to those in need my friend, there is no greater compensation than the joyous feeling one gets when giving with unconditional love.
Unfortunatly our society has lost touch with our humanity and our connectedness with each other, because when we open our eyes we can see that we are all in this together and every once and awhile we need to stop and pick up our brothers and sisters, dust them off and help them along their way. If only there were more people like you in the world my friend. Be the beckon light, shine brightly and show others the great riches one can receive by helping others.

May all your days be blessed.
Om Shanti,
Ravi
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-02-07 10:49 AM (#43060 - in reply to #43014)

Dear YogiBoy:
That is extremely easy to decide:

- if you do NOT need any money from your Yoga or volunteering work, then do not charge.

- If you need money from the volunteering work, because other work is NOT providing enough, then you should charge the minimum you need.

How much you need, and what you should need, is a separate question.

jeansyoga
Posted 2006-02-07 2:00 PM (#43073 - in reply to #43014)

Another thing to consider is that people often do not value something that they get for free. When you are giving freely from your heart, the last thing you want to have is for them to say "Let's get that yoga guy to come over, I don't know if it's helping but what the heck, it's free." Even if it's a very small amount, like half your usual rate (or less), at least then they will recognize that you are offering something very valuable and are not just sitting around looking for places to offer free yoga.

If the organization is really strapped for money and you do not feel comfortable charging, you could consider some kind of barter just so that they value what you are offering. For instance, having the students clean your mats or wash your blankets for you.

Finding the funding for them is a great idea, but be sure that you draw up a contract specifying that the money is to be used for your classes. I don't think that most charitable organizations are intentionally shady, but plenty of them are so strapped for cash that they will find it very tempting to tap any available funds for their regular programming. I've worked for several charities and even though they are good people offering great services, there can be a bit of a shell game going on with the funds at times.

Then again, to echo Neel's sentiment, if you are independently wealthy, go ahead and teach for free! If not, charge what you need to. It is obvious you have a very generous and giving heart, and you will always find ways to help others. I have a feeling that you won't need to worry if you are giving "enough," only if you are giving too much and not tending to your own needs. You must keep yourself supported, healthy, and happy so that you can continue to offer your good works to the world.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-07 2:52 PM (#43081 - in reply to #43014)

Thank you for these suggestions. I need to / want to perform community hours for my meditation certification (which I hope to continue after I am certified) and I want to volunteer at a womans shelter. I think they could benefit by the subtlty of ahimsa and meditation during a yoga practice.

It never occurred to me to donate money - I wouldn't charge - and my time and experience would be my gift...
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-07 2:58 PM (#43083 - in reply to #43073)

Expert Yogi

jeansyoga - 2006-02-07 2:00 PM

Another thing to consider is that people often do not value something that they get for free.

Sorry Jean, that is not true!! I totally disagree with that. In the Asian culture, the Dharma teachings are free. It is not that people do not value it, they simply are poor and do not have money. It has nothing to do with not valuing anything. If you are a true devotee, then the value lies within you...not someone else. The best practitioners are the ones who are poor, at least they don't have that ATTACHMENT issue of money to deal with! It is not up to someone else's judgement as to whether or not they appreciate or value it. This is where I have a big problem here in the West. People who claim to be teachers put EXPECTATIONS on everything and REQUIRE their students to live up their EXPECTATIONS, based on their petty little minds. Thanks but NO thanks!
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-07 3:11 PM (#43086 - in reply to #43014)

Whatever you decide to do, let us know how it goes. I'm interested to hear how it all turns out.
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-02-07 3:41 PM (#43090 - in reply to #43014)

Cyndi, I already assume that you disagree with everything I post, since I certainly disagree with everything you have to say.

But, if it makes you feel better to throw a spaz about my opinion, feel free.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-07 4:03 PM (#43095 - in reply to #43090)

Expert Yogi

jeansyoga - 2006-02-07 3:41 PM

Cyndi, I already assume that you disagree with everything I post, since I certainly disagree with everything you have to say.

What a great way to Cultivate Optimism, your are absolutely inspiring Jean,

Posted 2006-02-07 5:01 PM (#43104 - in reply to #43014)

yogi-boy:

my current volunteering gig is about to run it's course. That is, it's time it coming to and end. To get 'around' many of the situations that tourist mentions, a friend of mine (who is a nurse) helped me apply for a grant. Because it was a 'granted' and therefore 'paid' gig, my insurance covered the teaching.

My gig was working at an assisted living facility and an adult day recreational facility. The grant covered my necessary supplies--blankets, bolsters, mats, blocks, and straps, as well as the twice-weekly cleaning of these materials--and any other materials that i may have required for the class itself. I made a number of visual aids and banners (with Om, inspirational quotes, or diverse textures) and one of our classes also involved making prayer flags and the like which required other materials.

I had to set forth a curriculum for both recreational facilities (that is, the rec departments or the educational departments), and then i had to use this for the grant as well. it allowed me to set up the course, and while my grant-time is up (i had to send verification/report that i did the work i said i'd do with the money that i recieved), i have the opportunity to continue the work if i'd like.

In order to get my insurance to attach, i'd have to 'charge' per student. The adult day facility is considering 'employing' me at $5 per class that i teach, and the assisted living facility is also considering this. I've decided to take the money that i earn, cash the check, and put it in a jar to bring to class so that people can see the money that we're creating, and we can decide which organizations we want to donate it too.

Currently, i'm seeking to get a second grant in relation to music, yoga, and dementia. I posted an article some time ago regarding "Singing for the Brain" and with my friend (who is a music therapist), i'm setting a curriculum of movement, breathing, and chanting--as well as using my crystal singing bowls, inviting a few friends who are percussionists and other musians, to join me in offering movement and singing classes at these same facilities. This will help defray costs such as my friend's expertise (if they choose not to volunteer) and any equipment that i may need (such as small instruments, sheet music, or CDs of music--for all of us to use). THis also helps my insurance attach, again, and it's at no cost to the facilities as it is a fledgling community. If the class is popular or considered valuable, it's likely that the facilities will continue the program offering payment for the insurance processes.

i choose to give the money away--when i'm doing something volunteer. I guess i get 'double benefit' because i get a tax deduction for it, too, should i choose to take it (and i do). So far, my group is considering organizations that focus on elder issues and major health issues like cancer, alzhiemers, etc. I've considered donating it back to the facility itself, as well, perhaps to fix up the rec room or even use it to buy more props--such as better chairs for us to use for the yoga class, as the ones we have now are a bit ackward. We shall see, though.

As far as volunteering with abuse survivors or recovering addicts, for the second group, consider contacting your local AA/NA clubhouse. Find out if this is the sort of activity that would interest them. If so, then you can offer free classes there. You can offer them "by donation" and then give the 'donation' to the club house or other related organization. I taught at the NA/AA clubhouse in my area for about 8 months until one of the recovering addicts finished her teacher training and wanted to take over the class (no problem to me). So, she did, and it's all good.
Ravi
Posted 2006-02-08 3:41 AM (#43192 - in reply to #43014)

Om Namah Sivaya
All,

Om., Om Cyndi. Om, Om Zoe. Om, Om Neel

I knew from your posts you three were enchanted souls.

It is NOT all about the benjimans! It is about service to your fellow man.

May all your days be blessed
Om Shanti,
Ravi
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-08 10:48 AM (#43226 - in reply to #43192)

Expert Yogi

Oops...double postings again,

I was only drinking Chai, not beer,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-02-08 10:51 AM

Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-08 10:50 AM (#43227 - in reply to #43192)

Expert Yogi

Sai Ram,

Back at ya Raviben, or is that bhai??

Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti hei

Edited by Cyndi 2006-02-08 10:55 AM

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version