YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exp. Yoga, 1st Time Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

asananow
Posted 2008-04-18 6:15 PM (#106430)
Subject: Exp. Yoga, 1st Time Bikram

Tried Bikram for the first time today.  My only goal was to survive and here I am!  Even though I have previously practiced yoga and am in YTT, this is a new style and definitely a new temperature in my world!

Body, mind, spirit all felt great afterwards.  The asanas felt mostly good during.  The sweat stung my eyes (note to self, use a sweatband) and I had some dizziness between (not during) the standing poses.  The 1.5 hour length was an interesting aspect too, as I usually only practice about a 1/2 hour a day unless I'm in a class. 

It might be the power of marketing suggestion, but I observed some flexibility beyond my usual levels.  I don't think I'll give up my 'generic hatha' style but I do plan to attend some more Bikram classes. 

Certainly I hope that the dizziness will improve.  I just took it easy whenever I felt the need.   I do have a tendency toward mild LBP and dizziness occasionally.  Any comments on others experience are appreciated.

The teacher's gig looks pretty easy, since she wasn't demonstrating the postures.  I did like the teaching and the 'patter/dialogue' was helpful in staying in the poses and deepening.  She was also quite encouraging.  The claps to come out of a pose got to be my favorite sound (hee hee). 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-18 8:15 PM (#106432 - in reply to #106430)
Subject: RE: Exp. Yoga, 1st Time Bikram

Expert Yogi

Welcome to the dark side,
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-04-18 9:09 PM (#106433 - in reply to #106430)
Subject: RE: Exp. Yoga, 1st Time Bikra

Its not marketing, its the heat. The hot room always makes me a bit more flexible.

Duffy
asananow
Posted 2008-04-19 9:06 AM (#106443 - in reply to #106430)

Thanks.  I'm going back today.  The studio has a 10 day first-timer special, which is definitely marketing, to get folks hooked.  I'm curious to see if I will adapt more easily this time. 

Eteraz
Posted 2008-04-20 3:34 PM (#106482 - in reply to #106430)

Hi Jennifer, I've been practicing yoga for 10 years (Iyengar and for the last 3 years I've been doing Ashtanga which is pretty intense). Although the whole philosphy of Bikram yoga goes against other teachings (i.e. you get hot by doing vinyasas and from within not artifically from an external hot room) I decided to try it anyway as I had injuries from Ashtanga and in general have bad back aches that I heard Bikram helps.

I hated it the 1st session, then the 2nd and 3rd still hated it 5 or 6 it was okay and now the heat doesn't even bother me (have no idea why) but I'm used to it. I find the poses not too hard at all compared to other styles but I actually like what they say about not extending your legs in forward bends unless you can keep both legs totally straight as well as other safety issues the teacher constantly emphasizes.

Anyway, I have to say for the 1st time in 3 years since doing Ashtanga I don't have aches and pains during or after class and it's actually helped me in opening up my shoulders making it totally easy for me to do the wheel pose in my regular classes.

Posted 2008-04-21 10:18 AM (#106508 - in reply to #106430)

Hi Jennifer!

You hooked yet? Welcome to the dark side, we have candy...

But seriously, Bikram's series is absolutely amazing. It will make your spine so strong and healthy and it opens up your body like you wouldn't believe. I hope you keep going for a while so that you can see what it's all about. Yes we have a couple good marketing tricks, but it's not JUST marketing - it also WORKS! And the marketing doesn't hurt, either. Bikram says, if you believe in it, it will happen faster. If you don't believe in it, it will happen anyway!

Enjoy your classes and definitely keep posting if you have any questions!

O yea - and the teachers never demonstrate postures - but they have to do the class twice a day for 9 weeks to get certified, so you can bet that they CAN do the postures! And apparently talking non-stop, energetically in that heated room for 90 or 180 minutes a day - and practicing for 90 minutes a day yourself - can get harder than you'd think...
libragirl
Posted 2008-04-21 6:29 PM (#106523 - in reply to #106430)

yeah...have you ever tried talking for a few minutes in 105 degrees? Not to mention for 90 minutes, while constantly circulating the room, projecting your voice and perhaps taking time out to demonstrate a few asanas or make adjustments. That's some seriously hard work.

The first time I taught yoga, I couldn't BELIEVE how winded I was from talking...and that was a normal vinyasa class in a non-heated room. It's a workout just to lead class.
johnny shell
Posted 2008-04-22 8:10 AM (#106536 - in reply to #106430)

I think the increased flexibility isn't just due to the heat, I think the sequence that we do the poses helps too... it gets you really warmed up from within by the time you get to the really challanging poses.
asananow
Posted 2008-04-22 5:35 PM (#106552 - in reply to #106430)

2nd time (Sat.) I had to sit and lay down more often than the 1st time in the standing series.  The heat didn't bother me but I think that I need to eat before hand and my heart rate was getting a little high.  Some young athletic types in the room also seemed to struggle but they didn't lay down.  Also, wanted to pace myself a little better.  The poses themselves are relatively easy and I like the sequence. 

Went again on Sun, but there was a class cancellation and I can't make it back until Thursday.  So, we'll try again.

Any suggestions for eating before class?  I saw a few older threads on the subject.  Typically I do yoga on an empty stomach, maybe a light snack 1-2 hours before.  Anything more and I can feel nausea or heartburn in the inversions.  Having a light tummy in Bikram is definitely not working though -

After class, I feel like I've had a work out (reminds me of post-running) and it's kind of a guilty feeling... 

I did admire the teacher because she was very present and attentive even if it is a script.  She also brought different tips into the script.  My previous yoga and fitness experience does resist the phrase 'lock the knees' as I try to avoid ever locking or hyperextending my joints.  My interpretation is that they mean to engage the quads or lift the knees to go with a more Iyengar expression...

Thanks to you all for the encouragement -

Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-04-22 5:50 PM (#106553 - in reply to #106430)

I can't imagine eating a real meal before Bikrams. The towel would get very ugly right around Locust.

I talked to a teacher at our studio about eating beforehand. She suggested getting a Jamba Juice about 2 hours beforehand, with a shot of wheatgrass. I don't like wheatgrass, but this has helped a bunch with Sunday classes, which are at 2:30. (That means no lunch, and no breakfast either if I sleep in. So going without something can be very difficult, but still possible.)

I'm curious, why does the workout feeling (like running) make you feel a little guilty?

Finally, I look forward to the day when the postures seem easy. For me, the only ones in the sequence which seem at all "easy" are Savasana, and Half Tortoise.

Duffy
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-22 10:35 PM (#106561 - in reply to #106553)

Expert Yogi

Jennifer,

Why don't you try eating a handful of Almonds, a Banana, and a cup of green tea with honey, say an hour or hour and a half, before your class?

The almonds are good protein(and is the best quality nut you can eat), the banana for energy, the green tea for cooling and the honey for vitamins, minerals and nutrients. That is my routine and it really helps alot.

Afterwards, I eat or drink watermelon juice, while I'm waiting on my meal or instead, I will drink a Vanilla Spirutein made with Soy milk and eat nothing.

Don't eat a heavy meal before Bikram, it will not be a good thing. You'll get used to not eating, you have to give yourself time to adjust. Best thing is to try to balance your meals, REST, and hydration around your free time. One thing about Bikram, it has a way of increasing your appetite - bigtime, but at the same time, you utilize every bit of whatever you fuel your body with. Best to pick and choose wisely. Eat a healthy variety of everything healthy that you can.

Best wishes

Edited by Cyndi 2008-04-22 10:38 PM
asananow
Posted 2008-04-23 6:56 AM (#106568 - in reply to #106553)

I'm curious, why does the workout feeling (like running) make you feel a little guilty?

I think that I now associate a 'hard workout' with a western, type A, sensibility and yoga with an eastern, more serene and accepting sensibility.  When I started doing yoga more frequently, I really let go of most of my remaining competitiveness and striving.  During these Bikram classes, I believe I've also let go of perfectionist or achievement orientation as I've taken breaks and rests and not tried to push too hard.  However, it is such a workout it feels like I've been kicking my own butt!

Thanks Duff and Cyndi for the food tips.  I keep almonds around and with some planning I hope to get the fuel that my body needs. 

Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-23 8:48 AM (#106569 - in reply to #106568)

Expert Yogi

asananow - 2008-04-23 6:56 AM

I think that I now associate a 'hard workout' with a western, type A, sensibility and yoga with an eastern, more serene and accepting sensibility. 

I think people misunderstand what Yoga Asana's actually mean and what their used for, traditionally. The practice of these asanas is a small fraction of what yoga is about.

Hatha Yoga exercises will remove inertia of the body. Pranayamas are breathing exercises to energize your body with vitality, that is what they are designed for. There must be a purposeful plan in which your body is utilized. Physical strength is soo very necessary to fulfill our duties, whether it be householders, farmers, whatever work we find ourselves in. The asanas were originally designed to build strength in the spine so that you could be able to sit in meditation for long periods of time. There are so many levels to this and every BODY has to work through this process. It's not about sitting around in Lotus position and meditating 24/7...unless of course that is your practice. So, doing these asanas is more about building strength and balancing our bodies.

Yea, Bikram is a YOGA ASANA workout.

Edited by Cyndi 2008-04-23 8:49 AM
Andre
Posted 2008-04-23 11:31 AM (#106574 - in reply to #106430)

Extreme Veteran

asananow, I get what you're saying about competitiveness and type a work outs. The push in Bikrams could easily be associated with a "type a" mentality. But I've come more to associate it with a no-nonsense work ethic that we seem to have lost. It's about work/effort being it's own reward.

Human nature is to find the path of least resistance. Yoga is about balance. And maybe, accountability with oneself. Am I coasting today? If I am, will my practice benefit me as much as it can? I've had to really be careful with how I push myself in Bikrams. But, I am finding balance. It's pretty cool.

I can eat a full, but still light meal 3 hours prior to Bikrams. If I'm going to a 9am class and haven't eaten since the night before, I definitely need to eat a banana, yogurt or a piece of toast 1 1/2 to 2 hours prior. If I eat a regular lunch noon-1pm I'm fine for a 4:30pm class. But if I'm going to the 6:30pm class, I try to have a snack around 4pm.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)