YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Extended Triangle Pose
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2004-09-29 8:35 AM (#10386)
Subject: Extended Triangle Pose

My swami has been taking us through a sequence called the Trikon Mala. At one point, we move from a forward bend, arms outstretched into the Extended Triangle Pose.

He is going to give me some extra help this week as I don't seem to 'get' where my elevated arm should be and whether the twist stems from the waist or hip.

Any guidance on this would be very helpful as I seem to lose the sense of where my upper body is or should be when in this pose.

Thanks,

Fiona
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-09-29 9:20 AM (#10387 - in reply to #10386)
Subject: RE: Extended Triangle Pose

Expert Yogi

Orbilla ----

Do you mean Revolved Triangle (Parivrtta Trikonasana)? From the entry you
describe, it doesn't sound like Extended Triangle (Utthita Trikonasana).

Utthita Trikonasana is more of a sidebend than a twist. Try standing with legs spread
and arms outstretched. Think about where your pelvic bone is and align it
vertically and horizontally (e.g., as if you were simply standing straight in
Tadasana). When you go sideways, the pelvic bone will tilt downward in the
direction of the arm that's going to your shin (or the floor), but your hips
chest should not be twisting. The opposite arm goes straight up, in a line
above the arm that's going down.

Revolved triangle is a totally different story, since the hips are now aligned
perpendicular to the legs and you also have a twist which is done in the
lower ribs without disturbing the hip alignment. To get the hip alignment,
try standing as if you are about to bend forward in Parsvottanasana.
You'll be standing with legs separated, the forward foot pointing forward
and the back foot turned forward at about 45 degrees. Align the pelvic bone
to be perpendicular to the legs and not tilted front to back. Try to keep the
hips in the same line, since there's a tendency for the back-leg hip to be
further back. You want to maintain this hip alignment as you come into the
twisting forward bend. That means that you twist from the upper waist and lower
ribs without letting go of the hip and pelvic alignments. The hand that's
going to the floor (ie, the arm on the back-leg side) should be placed on
the outside of the forward leg, with fingers in line with toes (on a block or the
floor). Work the twist at this point before raising the arm, and check the hip alignment
again. Then, if you are balanced, raise the other arm vertically in a line with
the arm that's on the floor; otherwise, keep that hand on your hip.

Hope this helps.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-09-29 7:07 PM (#10411 - in reply to #10387)

I want to add to be careful not to twist the shoulder trying to get the arm up. It's very common to torque the shoulder if the body won't twist. It's better to keep the hand on the hip, think about turning the belly button rather than the head. If it's tough to look up, you're not twisted enough and your shoulder will take the brunt of the twist if you're struggling to get that arm up. For best alignment in these asana, the raised hand should always be in the periphial vision. Even when lifting up to Urdhva Hastasana. IOW, "Swaning" up and down with the butt stuck out, the back hugely arched, the arms splayed backwards? Not good on the shoulders or lumbar spine.

I digress. This is a tough asana and it's easy to torque the shouders. Modify if you're not open enough yet. No shame, no prize, right?
C.
Orbilia
Posted 2004-09-30 11:16 AM (#10419 - in reply to #10387)

From the asana web-site I use, it looks like the Parivrtta Trikonasana except that I'm instructed to put the hand down alongside the instep of the leading foot rather than on the little toe side.

Just before the bit where I get disoriented, I have the leading foot straight, hips facing forward in line with the leading foot, arms outstretched and the back foot turned in at 45 deg.

I bend forward, place the hand on the same side as the back foot down on the floor, adjacent to the leading foot instep.

I'm then told to put my other arm into the air so that it's vertical.

It is this last movement I find confusing.

Hope this helps?

We do the Utthita Trikonasana earlier in the Trikon Mala sequence. I have a dodgy right hip so that side is difficult to come up from without pain, but the left is fine.

Thanks,

Fiona

Edited by Orbilia 2004-09-30 11:22 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2004-09-30 11:20 AM (#10420 - in reply to #10411)

PS, Thanks for the belly button tip. I'm going to try that tonight, also putting the lowered hand the other side of the foot for now to see if that makes the twist feel 'right'.

The other variation where you turn in the opposite direction, i.e. toward the back foot rather than away, I find relatively easy by comparison *S*.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-09-30 11:26 AM (#10421 - in reply to #10420)

Expert Yogi

Putting the hand on the instep side lessens the amount of twisting to do
and probably makes the balancing easier. You might try it both ways to
compare, and also try putting a block next to your foot so you can put your
hand there rather than the floor.

Christine is spot-on in her comments about the back and shoulders...as always.

No question about it...Revolved Triangle is a *much* more difficult pose than
regular Triangle.
Orbilia
Posted 2004-10-01 10:27 AM (#10449 - in reply to #10421)

Thanks for your tips. The block makes sense as my legs are relatively long which means I have to bend forward a fair way in order to get my hand flat on the floor.

Regards,

Fiona
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-10-02 2:09 PM (#10470 - in reply to #10449)

Orbelia, I have a tweaky hip, too, and sometimes have trouble rising out of Utthita Trikonasana.
I look down before I come up, SLIGHTLY bend my front knee, push into my front foot to lift, then reach UP UP UP with my top hand to come up. So think reach UP to come up.

Somehow that elongates things enough, while putting the work into my quads (vs. side muscles [latissimus dorsi] and lets me come out without winceing or a big, unattractive grunt.

I also go into Utthita Trikonasana the same way I go into Parivrtta. Let me see if I can describe this.

Take my legs apart for U.T.
Turn my toes in appropriately.
Now facing out over what will be my front leg, I bend forward (tummy over my thigh) thinking LONG spine.
Now I turn from my belly button to bring one hand down and the other hand up, leading the up hand with my shoulder, vs. letting the hand lead my body.
I draw my abs in, tuck my tailbone, take my upper shoulder back and let me head relax before looking up.

So as you can see, I'm getting a really long spine first, then implementing what becomes a twist to open my chest. We teach this to beginners and I'd forgotten it until recently. It makes a huge difference in the freedom in my neck and comfort in the pose.

Oh - and the hand to the inside of the instep in Parivrtta Trikonasana is normal to teach beginners or those with tight upper bodies. (It's a variation I don't have a picture of.) I am so tight up there that my whole pose tends to collapse if I go for the outside of the foot. Doing what is right for my body is more important than doing a pose "right" to me. Given the fact there is no wrong in yoga unless we're risking injury, I find strength and ease in my hand on the instep side. On good days, after lots and lots of warm up, I can put my hand on the outside -- but then I just wish for a block!

So play with it.
tourist
Posted 2004-10-02 7:22 PM (#10474 - in reply to #10470)

Expert Yogi

My favourite way to work in to Parivritta Trikonasana (revolved) is through Parsvottanasana (asymmetric forward bend - not in the asana index. Wow - there must be a photo of that somewhere...) Anyway, I like to set the feet and legs as for parivritta trikonasana, bring the forwad hip back, back hip forward, then lengthen the body forward and put the hands on a chair. a table is even better so you can actually lie the arms, and even the torso on it if there is enough room. With the upper body, or at least the arms supported, you can work on the action of the legs and hips. If you have a partner you can have them help tweak the hips (gently and carefully, of course) so they are level and parallel. Then you can work on bringing the hand down to the floor or block or a chair. I worked on a chair for ages, top hand on my hip because it was so painfully short of pointing up to the ceiling. Then one day the floor rose up to meet me and most days, it still does now.

Christine - I just read the description of Trikonasana by Dan Moran on the asana index. So lovely! I had a student give out the most ecstatic sigh the other night as we went into our first Trikonasana. A not common but not unheard-of thing in an Iyengar class There is a particular deliciousness in Trikonasana, whether because , for us Iyengis it is often at the beginning of class or what, I don't know. But it IS nice.
afroyogi
Posted 2004-10-03 3:01 PM (#10481 - in reply to #10386)

>> Parsvottanasana (asymmetric forward bend - not in the asana index. Wow - there must be a photo of that somewhere...) <<

There is your photo, Glenda:

http://www.ayri.org/fundamental.html

Parsvottanasana is #13 from top. After all them funny indians know a thing or two about yoga.
Orbilia
Posted 2004-10-06 8:38 AM (#10555 - in reply to #10470)

Thanks Yogadancer.

I don't have any trouble coming up out of the revolved triangle pose. It's more any standing pose that involves leaning over to the right sideways with no incline to the front or back. As I come up, that's when my right hip hurts at the joint. I've found that remembering to tighten the right thigh first helps but not entirely. The degree of wince-factor seems to depend on the distance my feet are apart. About 2 feet is ideal, but they are more like 1m when practising the Trikon Mala sequence.

Regards,

Fiona
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-10-06 11:06 PM (#10573 - in reply to #10555)

Orbelia, that is Utthita or "extended" Trikonasana. Parivrtta = revolved.

Still, lift the toes, fractionally bend the knee, and look down before you push into the front foot to come up. Don't make your lower back and pelvic girdle do the work.

Tourist, I have over 1000 photos yet to put up and yes, I do have photos of purvotasana. It involves creating another page and I just haven't done it yet. I just put up Ashtangasana.

C.
Orbilia
Posted 2004-10-07 5:15 AM (#10580 - in reply to #10573)

Thanks, I'll try that soon and see if it helps.

Fee

Orbilia
Posted 2004-10-07 8:34 AM (#10585 - in reply to #10573)

Having re-read your original message on coping with a temperamental hip and coming out of Utthita Trikonasana after class last night, it suddenly made sense. Lift up and then level off the arms rather than rotating up from the waist/hips *slaps forehead theatrically as light dawns*!

Thanks again,

Fee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)