YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

re: replacing electrolytes
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Posted 2006-04-23 11:38 AM (#50289)
Subject: re: replacing electrolytes

Hey Bikram and Hot yoga lovers!

I went to a hot yoga class ( just me and the instructor), and then taught my class after that in a normal room. The next day I did a step class (killer) and then taught again. I am taking a doulble diuretic for high BP-boo, hiss and I HATE IT. I feel like poop on it and stopped for months and had my BP taken again and there the evilness was.

My question: What is the best way to replace electrolyes lost during the heat? I know because I don't feel good and I have a headache. I take vitamins and they are being used and I have been drinking fluids. I really do not like gatorade and I did drink some emer-gen-c yesterday.

Any suggestions? The diuretic is killing me and I am going to get it checked next week. I thought the BP would get better with cardio. My job is stressing me out also. Looking to resolve that also.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-04-23 11:48 AM (#50290 - in reply to #50289)

Expert Yogi

Is a hot room like that safe with high BP? Cardio and good diet should help lower BP and meditation apparently does even more. That's pretty much my full knowledge on the subject

Posted 2006-04-23 12:07 PM (#50291 - in reply to #50290)

Thanks Glenda. I thought the same. That is why I quit the meds. The room was not that hot, but got a mild headache that went away that night when I ate. I guess when I did cardio yesterday, it did me in. The diruetic kills me. I wear a heart rate monitor when I do cardio and everyone was complaining about the humidty yesterday after the class.

I guess I need more meditation and yoga especially after cardio. I will talk to my RYT friends at the club. Thanks Tourist!
shnen
Posted 2006-04-23 1:06 PM (#50296 - in reply to #50289)

I dont know about the BP - but I know some studios sell you stuff to put in your water to replenish your electrolytes while you are exercising.
gogirl58
Posted 2006-05-04 9:31 PM (#51335 - in reply to #50290)

Extreme Veteran

I do Bikram, take BP meds, and sometimes react to the heat.
What I think is essential for ME to do well is 1. To make sure my blood pressure doesn't go too low ( what with the meds and all)2. To hydrate ( i assume you have thta covered) 3. To make sure I don't have alcohol the day prior to a hot class 4. I find that avoiding meat helps also. and 5. I go to class early to adjust and to lie still. I wonder if you stress at work and your yoga is just too much. I have learned to not cram a class into a busy day, but to wait until I really have the time to go early, enjoy the class and recover.

I still sometimes have ot leave the room or sit down during class.
peggy
Bikram Bum
Posted 2006-05-13 10:24 AM (#52379 - in reply to #50289)

Hi there. My Bikram studio sells "smart water," which is bottled water that has electrolytes in it. Maybe it is psychosomatic, but I really feel as though it does a good job replacing electrolytes, esp. during a bikram class. I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near where you live, but they sell the same water (and for $1 cheaper than at the yoga studio) so you can buy it there. I hope that helps!

Edited by Bikram Bum 2006-05-13 10:25 AM
miss dee
Posted 2006-05-14 9:13 AM (#52517 - in reply to #50289)

go to whole foods and get some E'mergen'C packets.
do not over dilute... only 4ozs. water per packet. these are wonderful for instant rehydration as well as bringing back a diabetic who is crashing. i drink 2-4 per day as i teach adn do 2-3 classes per day. saves my life!

here's a website showing ingredients.

http://www.alacer.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch.exe?mdb=/products.mdb,tbl=products,DB_code=54,DBCOMP=ABS,template=/products/returntitle.htm

peace.
darla
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-14 11:31 PM (#52590 - in reply to #50289)

namaste2: My question: What is the best way to replace electrolyes lost during the heat? I know because I don't feel good and I have a headache. I take vitamins and they are being used and I have been drinking fluids. I really do not like gatorade and I did drink some emer-gen-c yesterday.

===> This question amounts asking: I hit my head on a stone wall and I want to know what after this hitting is over, I should do so that I do not feel bad and I can then again go and hit my head against stone wall. The solution lies in avoiding heat.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-15 10:04 AM (#52638 - in reply to #52590)

Expert Yogi

Your no fun NB,
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-15 11:11 AM (#52645 - in reply to #50289)

namaste2 - 2006-04-23 11:38 AM

Hey Bikram and Hot yoga lovers!

I went to a hot yoga class ( just me and the instructor), and then taught my class after that in a normal room. The next day I did a step class (killer) and then taught again. I am taking a doulble diuretic for high BP-boo, hiss and I HATE IT. I feel like poop on it and stopped for months and had my BP taken again and there the evilness was.

My question: What is the best way to replace electrolyes lost during the heat? I know because I don't feel good and I have a headache. I take vitamins and they are being used and I have been drinking fluids. I really do not like gatorade and I did drink some emer-gen-c yesterday.

Any suggestions? The diuretic is killing me and I am going to get it checked next week. I thought the BP would get better with cardio. My job is stressing me out also. Looking to resolve that also.

So................
is the BP issue inherited/genetic or is it diet related?

Have you asked your physician if there is another way to treat your condition other than maintenance prescription medications?

Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-15 2:52 PM (#52659 - in reply to #52645)

Expert Yogi

Namaste,

Have you tried adding more fruits to your diet?? After all you are taking a diruetic...which if I remember correctly, deplete's your electrolytes to begin with. So, if it were me and I HAD to take those kinds of meds...I would focus on adding to my diet foods that moistens dryness. Things such as Watermelon, fresh cucumbers, Ash Gourd - aka. asian winter melon (I planted seeds for ash gourd yesterday!!) tomatoes, apricots, pineapple, lightly steamed mung bean sprouts with fresh cilantro, cantaloupes and honeydew melons, and if you are a meat eater, roasted or steamed pork is good to add as well, if cooked properly.

I would definitely want to find the cause of my high blood pressure and would work on that aspect. I know you are doing western meds which really doesn't leave you with many alternatives...however, in Chinese Medicine, it would be handled much differently. You have to take care of yourself no matter what you do though. I know that a meat and potatoes diet is really not good for this kind of condition though.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-15 6:39 PM (#52678 - in reply to #50289)

Hey Cyndiben: You say I am NO fun. And, Mishy says I am all fun, though I do not know it. What is the matter? Decide one thing. I am feeling funny!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-15 6:45 PM (#52679 - in reply to #52678)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-05-15 6:39 PM

Hey Cyndiben: You say I am NO fun. And, Mishy says I am all fun, though I do not know it. What is the matter? Decide one thing. I am feeling funny!

NB, Looks like a *perfect* balance to me!!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-15 8:54 PM (#52685 - in reply to #52679)

Cyndi - 2006-05-15 6:45 PM

kulkarnn - 2006-05-15 6:39 PM

NB, Looks like a *perfect* balance to me!!

We can't have that. I think NB is lots of fun!

Edited by GreenJello 2006-05-15 8:55 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)