YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raja Yoga and the Internet
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

lisan
Posted 2006-03-19 1:35 PM (#47027)
Subject: Raja Yoga and the Internet

Hello:

I am posting this question on the Yoga Teacher forum because I am a yoga teacher and am curious what you all think.

Do you ever feel that participating in a yoga forum or writing and publishing a yoga blog is contrary to yama and niyama guidelines (particularly ahimsa, satya, and asteya)? I know that Patanjali never foresaw the arrival of the internet and the influence that words sent over the internet could have on people!

I have encountered some individuals, practicing and teaching yoga, who find yoga and the internet a very bad combination. Since you all do not obviously have that opinion and find sharing yoga thoughts and info to be a very positive thing - I was wondering if anyone has experienced fallout from that "other" group.

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed - but I am relatively new to this forum and haven't been able to read everything yet!

Thanks. Lisa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-19 2:57 PM (#47033 - in reply to #47027)
Subject: RE: Raja Yoga and the Internet

lisan - 2006-03-19 1:35 PM

Do you ever feel that participating in a yoga forum or writing and publishing a yoga blog is contrary to yama and niyama guidelines (particularly ahimsa, satya, and asteya)? I know that Patanjali never foresaw the arrival of the internet and the influence that words sent over the internet could have on people!

I really don't see how any of those yamas apply to posting things on the internet. We're not doing anything different than what you might do after class with some buddies at the local coffee shop. Sure this reaches a wider audence, so maybe it's like sitting in the cafe with bullhorns, but not much more.

Every once in a while the debate gets heated, which has the potential to break ahimsa (saying something hurtful), sayta(lying about it later) and asteya(to steal somebody else's energy), but not often. Frankly, this is probably one of the tamest, and best self-regulating forums on the 'net, so even this is pretty minimal.

I have encountered some individuals, practicing and teaching yoga, who find yoga and the internet a very bad combination. Since you all do not obviously have that opinion and find sharing yoga thoughts and info to be a very positive thing - I was wondering if anyone has experienced fallout from that "other" group.

Nope. If somebody said something like that to me, particular about my blog I'd figure they were some sort of kill joy/wet blanket.
tourist
Posted 2006-03-19 3:54 PM (#47038 - in reply to #47033)

Expert Yogi

Hi Lisa - an interesting question I agree with GJ. In books about the yogis of earlier times (Autobiography of a Yogi etc.) it seems that the students had lots of time on their hands to sit around and talk yoga and this seems to be the same thing to me. They were not talking as much about asana as we do and we do indeed reach a bigger audience, but I don't consider that a problem. I do sometimes think I should go and practice rather than chatting here, but if we were all at an ashram together, I would be the one to ditch class in favour of a cosy conversation a lot of the time, too I like to talk. Our guru would have me on a vow of silence before you could say om om

As far as the other group - no problem here. We tend to attract like-minded folk so if they disapprove, they say their piece, we ignore them and they go away. We wouldn't want to disturb THEIR practice by engaging them further, would we?

And I would not be too sure Patanjali didn't envisage the internet. He may not have been able to put it into Sanskrit words, but those yogis were always talking about telepathy and stuff like that. Maybe this is how it was always meant to be done!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-20 9:27 AM (#47115 - in reply to #47038)

Expert Yogi

And to further add that "Debating" is very common among Tibetan monks.....they will blow off an entire day just to keep it going, I've watched them do it. The only difference between people and computers is that in real life we would have the opportunity to be face to face, whereas here on this forum, we don't know what each other looks like, and sometimes words get tangled up and misconstrued. That's why we have these nice little Mods...they keep us in line. If they can't...then the big guy "piel" comes along and he's the one you gotta watch out for, I have no doubts that for me, if this were real life, I'm sure that I would of had to duck several times on this board,

Soooo, back to the subject...actually, these forums are a great way to *practice* ahimsa, you can either cut yourself off completey to the world and shut yourself out...or you can get right on in the game and play. Practice makes perfect. I look at it this way, one way or the other, you will have to come out and play...if you are a *true* practictioner, it will find you - life will make you play. The good news is that no one is judging you about whether you are practicing ahimsa or how good you are, it's not about competition and judgement, you are the judge of yourself, no one else. Who is to say what is proper ahimsa?? What one may view is wrong, may be right for someone else.

This sorda ties in with the forgiveness thread. We ALL have been in situations where we have dealt with difficult people and have had things that were terrible to happen to us. Then when we look back, most of us can truly laugh about those circumstances and embrace the person who inflicted that upon us and we find a connection there. Some of us don't. Same things happen on these kinds of forums every day. Sometimes you have to be the good guy and sometimes you have to be the bad. At least that is my experience...I just take it all in stride, stay present in the moment and definitely play my role...whatever that may be. I will stay within the range of my true nature and I won't deviate from that, if someone cannot accept that, then my belief is, that person obviously is still in conflict with themselves and I'm just a mirror *obviously* to what that person may need to experience..it's a natural phenomena, believe it or not, It doesn't mean that I'm not practicing ahimsa either, another person cannot judge that aspect of someone else, if you do, then you don't understand what ahimsa really means and you should go find a guru to teach it to you.

To the original poster, why did you call the subject line "Raja" Yoga?? I know what Raja Yoga is, I just wanted to pose the question of why you called it "Raja"??

Posted 2006-03-20 11:33 AM (#47137 - in reply to #47027)

i don't know how or why it would be against the yamas and niyamas, any more than writing a book or article about yoga would be against them.

i do not know where or why people would get that impression that it's problematic or somehow negatively impacting one's practice of nonviolence, purity, or whatever else. in fact, it may be a great place to learn how to practice these things.
lisan
Posted 2006-03-20 1:11 PM (#47156 - in reply to #47115)

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

The individuals who objected so strongly to my yoga blog (they referred to it as Raja yoga and my weblog) were very dear to my heart and were my teachers at a local studio. I am trying very heard to understand and forgive their hurtful comments and gestures. My intentions were good.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-20 1:58 PM (#47170 - in reply to #47156)

lisan - 2006-03-20 1:11 PM

The individuals who objected so strongly to my yoga blog (they referred to it as Raja yoga and my weblog) were very dear to my heart and were my teachers at a local studio. I am trying very heard to understand and forgive their hurtful comments and gestures. My intentions were good.

Very hard to tell what their impulses might be.

FWIW, the Hatha Yoga Pradipika lists talkativeness as a source of failure in yoga. The rational given in the commentary is that it can lead to being overly concerned with progress, getting non-yogis overly involved (which IS problematic), or profaning the sacred.

There are potential problems with it, I just don't see it violating the yamas or niyamas.

Posted 2006-03-20 2:06 PM (#47173 - in reply to #47027)

lisa:

i think sometimes, too, we have to look at wheat and chaff. criticism can be good--it can be incredibly helpful. sometimes, criticism is lodged to be hurtful or to get someone to discontinue what they are doing because the person giving the criticism feels somehow threatened by the direction that the individual is taking.

you have to discover which is which. i do not see how your blog remotely causes a problem with the yamas or niyamas. where those who criticized you able to point to specific posts or statements that they consider problematic and how those are problematic in light of these yoga philosophies? if not, then it's likely that they were being hurtful--and i'm sorry for that.

many yoga teachers are messed up humans. if you think about it, everyone out there, pretty much, is a messed up human. we all have our blind spots and those things that bother or upset us or cause us to react in strange, irrational, and sometimes hurtful ways. Many people think that yoga teachers, and yoga business owners, are going to be different--somehow more clear, more kind, more loving. This has not been my experience. yoga teachers can often behave like 7th graders; i've behaved this way, and i've had this behavoir lobbed at me. Once i became aware of my behavoir, i tried to move away from it--and that's practicing yama and niyama. but i'm not perfect.

understanding this helps you understand why they may have said hurtful things, and that you can also have compassion for them. perhaps they're afraid of the community that you're building through your blog or internet connections. perhaps they are afraid of yoru perspectives and talents, you ability to write, and how that may launch your career as a yoga writer in print media--even though they may be more experienced than you.

when i started making videos, i kept it really quiet. i didn't tell local teachers. the other day, during an early filming, i showed up with cast and crew at the studio, and a teacher was there. i hadn't told her (or anyone in her crowd) about filming, and i got 20 questions. I answered politely, but i knew, now, that word was going to spread like a forrest fire during drought season. And the next day, i got phone call after phone call from other teachers, studio owners, etc--'how did you get started? which production company are you using? who is doing the modeling? do you need help with this or that?" and it wasn't because of interest, but because they wanted to steal my ideas, get as much information as possible, and use my resources. And then, when my husband, client, and i were going over the prelim film, another teacher peeked over our shoulder and started criticizing everything--my hair, what i was wearing, the sequence, the students, EVERYTHING! why? because she was jealous--her client didn't volunteer to make a video of her talents and her teaching. . .

so, i understand what's going on, and i can let it go. but, i've had other teachers whom i trust go over the tapes and help me by giving very constructive criticism such as "that cue is confusing" or "i think you should talk about this more while in this sequence" and so on. they're being very real, very yogic about the whole process, and they're incredibly giving!

so, that might help, or might not. but, i find nothing wrong with your blog. What's anti-yama/niyama about talking about mats?
Kabu
Posted 2006-03-20 2:19 PM (#47177 - in reply to #47027)

Funny I just found this thread. I was thinking this morning how much the people on this forum have contributed to my practice and...my life, really. From the new posters to the old timers ~ I learn so much and am often inspired.

For what it's worth, I was brushing my teeth, and I felt this great swell of gratitude towards you guys.
lisan
Posted 2006-03-21 8:14 AM (#47258 - in reply to #47173)

Zoebird:

Thank you for your insights.

I was never given specifics about what was particularly offensive about my blog, but they alluded to things like I was claiming expertise when I have none and I was giving the wrong impression about yoga to the world, and that the blog was obviously a commercial venture that I was profitting from, etc. I believe it was my first few blog entries that caused the problem - I don't believe they even read the one about mats!

I am trying to have compassion for these people and am definitely ready to move on. You all have really helped me with this and I am grateful.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-21 9:27 AM (#47266 - in reply to #47258)

Expert Yogi

Lisa,

That's my sister's name BTW!! Don't worry about it. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off. You can't please everybody...even if you were in *good* standing, there's always someone who will be disappointed and these are the ones who seem to find all your *imperfections*. Besides, if you are *truly* doing something wrong, the truth will find its way to you.

This reminds me of when I was in a Buddhist temple. Some of the supposedly really advanced people (Senior Phsyco's are what I called them) always thought they had to run around telling everyone how to practice Buddhism and how we should act around the Rinpoche and temple, etc. It was so frustrating, because when you connect with a guru like that, you don't need someone harrassing you or meddling with you...especially when you yourself have been around your guru much longer than they and they came from other temples to simply meddle and cause problems. I had to get really nasty at times and tell them to back off. Once I nicely told a girl to be quiet, and I further added - "we already have a guru here". It's different when you ask for someone's help, but when people start pointing fingers and all that crap, I will say something. EVERYONE is entitled to have their own experiences, whatever they may be, without intervention....UNLESS ASKED.

Have a good day.

Cyndi
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-21 9:45 AM (#47271 - in reply to #47258)

lisan - 2006-03-21 8:14 AM

I was never given specifics about what was particularly offensive about my blog, but they alluded to things like I was claiming expertise when I have none and I was giving the wrong impression about yoga to the world, and that the blog was obviously a commercial venture that I was profitting from, etc. I believe it was my first few blog entries that caused the problem - I don't believe they even read the one about mats!

Hmm.... read the first couple of entries, still nothing all bad. In fact you actually explain where you're coming from in the first one, so if anything it's more honest than some sites I've seen on the 'net.

Posted 2006-03-21 4:24 PM (#47337 - in reply to #47258)

lisa:

i like what cyndi said about how you don't need people meddling. it's so true. i'm going to quote and meddle. LOL ;)

they alluded to things like (1) I was claiming expertise when I have none and (2) I was giving the wrong impression about yoga to the world, and (3) that the blog was obviously a commercial venture that I was profitting from, etc.

ok, i'm going to go into this a bit and give my opinions. it's meddling, i'm sure. Cyndi should let me know. i read your blogs--the whole thing--to see what might be offensive about them.

to the first issue, it is true that claiming expertise when you have none is problematic. but, i don't think that you are claiming expertise. you are a 200 hr trained yoga teacher. you are claiming your knowledge and you are sharing your knowledge. That's no different than an article in Yoga Journal or Ascent magazine. And, it's no different than teaching a class and giving your knowledge away orally/aurally.

i honestly do not believe that any person on the planet has full expertise--total knowledge--on yoga. even the most enlightened people have their filters and perspectives. i'm reminded about a story about the Buddha and his best friend Ananda. Buddha's step mom wanted to become a nun. this was back in the day, when buddha was new at being buddha. Anyway, he had lots of guys wanting to become monks, so that they could become buddhas, but he didn't have many women. And then his step mom said "i want to be a monk too." and buddha said--guess what--no, because you're a woman, and women aren't capable of enlightenment.

ok, now, if i'm not mistaken, the buddha is ENLIGHTENED at this point and should essentially KNOW EVERYTHING. right? yeah, i don't know what enlightenment fully means either. but i've met some people whom many believe to be enlightened, and in one way or another, they have an experience with their own Anandas.

anyway, Ananda tells the buddha to lay off the majestic peyote and get with the reality that women can, in fact, be enlightened. buddha, not recognzing off-the-cuff references to native american hallucenagens, brushes off the first part, and he and ananda start a debate about women and enlightenment. Ultimately, ananda wins, and buddha concedes and lets his step mom become a nun. And then, other women followed, and there you have it.

So, even the experts have to have things taught to them occassionally. (oh, and i totally added the peyote thing, as ananda didn't know about peyote, it was my joke. as not to offend or confuse. . .)

So, here you are doing your research, and learning, and sharing what you learn--and you know what, that's a good thing. You're not claiming to be an expert, you're claiming to be a trained teacher who is teaching stuff in another forum or venue. And in a way, that's no different than what these teachers are doing in their classrooms.

to the second issue, it is problematic to give the wrong impression about yoga to the world. But, i'm not certain what impression you are giving (or how they percieve that), and how that is the wrong impression. I read your articles (you first linked, or i first saw your link on the veggieboards web site) and i found them to be in-depth and interesting, with a good expression of personal self through them, and they focused on anatomy and some of those basic elements of yoga asana. I think that's great. yoga asana is a part of yoga, and i've seen so many in-depth, like, scary-in-depth yoga anatomy books, it terrifies most teachers. i mean, seriously. i dig them.

i don't think understanding anatomy or gooing in depth on an asana, or describing how you had a life in the fitness realm and found yoga and fell in love with it and how it informs you and what came before that informs your yoga is giving a 'wrong impression' of yoga. While yoga is for more than 'fitness' a huge component of yoga asana IS fitness, and fitness is necessary in order to have comfortable meditation, and in order to actually practice yamas and niyamas. that's why asana practice exists. it heals the body and mind and prepares it for living--living yamas and niyamas, practicing meditation. If a person is injured in chronic pain, etc, it's really difficult to live the yamas and niyamas; it's really difficult to meditate. but if the person does asana and pranayama, and chill a bit, the body will heal and then the other limbs get a lot easier to at least try.

so, you're giving a small piece of the larger picture. this isn't the wrong impression--it's just a small piece. You know that. your reader may not, but your reader will eventually--if they get into the yoga. Asana is often a gateway for people to really jump in. And it's ok to focus on that audience, or on that area of yoga, particularly if that's your interest. So be there, do that, share it. I see no harm in it.

as to the third issue, making money. Uhm, do these teachers earn a living teaching yoga? are they not using yoga as a "commercial venture?" i mean, quite frankly, i sell my goods, services and knowledge. I'm making a DVD--i dont plan on watching the millions roll in, but in a sense, it's a commercial venture. it kinda has to be in order to afford making them. But, i'm doing it to share, to extend, and to reach more people. I'll make money on it, sure, but that's not the first reason. I also make money teaching classes. I also make money teaching workshops. I also make money doing thai massage and teaching private lessons. For me, yoga is a joy, a passion, and a commercial venture.

do these yoga teachers own a studio? sell mats? sell books? sell CDs? is that not a commercial venture? how is doing it through a web site--marketing yourself through a blog or through a message board--any different than advertising for a studio, opening the doors, and taking money for classes? a studio is a commercial venture. running a class is a commercial venture.

as far as i can tell, there's nothing in the yoga sutras or in the yamas and niyamas that are against livelihood. we need to earn livings. In india, we would live on ashrams and be supported by communities for teaching yoga (asana and beyond). people would give us shelter, food, clothing, whatever, in exchange for religious education. in a way, it's the way priests, nuns, and pastors are supported by churches in the west. But, yoga is not like this here, and an energetic exchange is necessary. I don't always take money for my classes--i've taken food, clothing, or any number of other things that people are willing to offer me in energetic exchange. but ultimately, i need to eat, pay for my house, and pay the electric bill so i can write extremely long posts on messageboards!

in buddhism, there is a concept of 'right livelihood' and it pretty much includes everything except that which exploits human beings or animals, abuses or kills them. makes sense. to me, yoga is right livelihood. how we market ourselves requires a great deal of care, being mindful of who we are and what we want to teach and how we then explain that to others. that can be harder to discern, but like cyndi said, the truth will always make itself abundantly clear to you!

i hope this helps more.
Jambo
Posted 2006-03-21 6:09 PM (#47356 - in reply to #47027)

Is PA becoming a hotbed of Yogic activity? First your blog and then the person with the PA site, www.payoga.org.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-21 6:20 PM (#47357 - in reply to #47356)

Jambo - 2006-03-21 6:09 PM

Is PA becoming a hotbed of Yogic activity? First your blog and then the person with the PA site, www.payoga.org.

Booga used to be pretty regular poster, but I guess life caught up with her.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)