YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silly Question: Pedicure?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

YogaMommy
Posted 2006-03-09 12:05 PM (#46253)
Subject: Silly Question: Pedicure?

Okay, I know it's a shallow question. But, do you female teachers have pedicures? I know for me, it seems like my feet are constantly on parade as a teacher and student of yoga. I like for my feet to look clean and nice, healthy and well taken care of. I got a pedicure last week, cause I had some dry skin on my heels, etc. Does that make me non-yogic?

What do ya'll think?

Carole

Edited by YogaMommy 2006-03-09 12:06 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kabu
Posted 2006-03-09 12:29 PM (#46260 - in reply to #46253)
Subject: RE: Silly Question: Pedicure?

As a student, I always work on my making my feet look nice the night before class. I do it mostly for myself, but sometimes our teachers come around and adjust our feet in savasana. I figure they appreciate the effort too.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-09 1:11 PM (#46262 - in reply to #46253)

I try to keep mine trimmed because it's easy to cut yourself during a jump through. I've got a multitude of little scratches up and down my hands and wrists from doing that.

I've also got a couple of fungusy toes, so I don't worry about the general appearance. Oddly enough, yoga kinda brought the toe business much more to the fore, since I spent so much time looking at me feet. However, the doctor says that I shouldn't worry about it, so I don't.

I'm also not a woman, so I'm not under and societial pressure to do anything about it.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-03-09 1:12 PM
Kym
Posted 2006-03-09 2:10 PM (#46265 - in reply to #46253)

Ewwwww, GreenJello, I'm imagining the toe tallons! j/k I hate it when DH does not keep his short b/c I hate to feel them in bed. TMI????

I have been pondering this, as well. I can't stand to look at my toes in forward folds when they are dry and the nail polish is old. I was just thinking I need to invest in regular pedicures. I say it's ok yoga wise b/c ugly toes distract me.

And, I've also thought about getting that laser hair remover for my underarms. My sister once told me my armpits are the ugliest part of my body. Even when I first shave, they still look suspect.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-09 2:52 PM (#46272 - in reply to #46265)

Kym - 2006-03-09 2:10 PM

Ewwwww, GreenJello, I'm imagining the toe tallons! j/k

I don't think it's entirely the length, but I've never seen it happen either.

And, I've also thought about getting that laser hair remover for my underarms. My sister once told me my armpits are the ugliest part of my body. Even when I first shave, they still look suspect.

You do realize that most men spends lots and lots of time debating the finer points of women's arm pits, right? In fact my brother refused to even speak with a woman once because of this. A little shallow, but still. I thought she was pretty hot otherwise, but those pits. Anyway, I'd seriously recommend it, in the mean time make sure to wear lots of long sleve shirts so your secret doesn't escape. Heard about one teenage who offed herself when one of her "friends" posted pics of her pits to my space.....

j/k actually I've got a head cold, and this whole thing just strikes me as funny....

Posted 2006-03-09 3:13 PM (#46274 - in reply to #46253)

it doesn't make you 'unyogic' to get pedicures or give them to yourself. it's a matter of grooming.

typically, i care for my own feet, but when my mother lived closer, it was her personal mission to make sure that i had pedicures every other week. i never do polish (not even clear) because it chips easy and i don't like it. but, i do the whole 'spa treatment' thing when my mother has a say about it.

i think that it's important. once, there was a discussion with a group of aerobics instructors talking about the importance of clean, well fitting clothes for teaching as well as keeping shoes in good condition. they spoke about how it's considered 'professional dress' and how you wouldn't go to an office in an ill-fitting suit or something with holes in it or broken down or whatever--because it's not professional. And, of course, there were discussions about modesty or about 'marketing your body' through clothes (these were the sort of 'two sides' of the discussion) in clothing as well.

i take this seriously too. i like my teaching clothes to be clean, well fitting, and modest (i keep my belly covered, i'm mindful of the rise of the pants, i make sure they're knee length at least. i'm also moving toward more higher-collared tops, as i'm discovering that tank tops are not so great to teach in after they've started to stretch out just a bit (they seem to have a shelf life of about 4 months). So, for me, modesty is part of this equation.

like having good shoes, i think it's important to have good feet--clean, well cared for. pedicures--whether done on your own or by someone else--is part of this process. i believe that teachers should be clean and well groomed, but that doesn't mean that i think they have to shave their legs/arm pits or have certain hair styles or whatever either. just as long as they look clean and presentable, then they're behaving professionally.

i did have to speak to one particularly 'hippy' teacher about cleanliness--she smelled terrible because she didn't bathe frequently. She insisted that taking a shower every three days was all that was necessary, but i told her that in the mean time, she should at least take a sponge bath (it was a water policy thing on her part). it took the better part of three weeks to convince her, and i had to threaten her job teaching with us (it was a hot yoga studio, she was sweating--she also didn't believe in deoderants). so, cleanliness and grooming is important--and i think that pedicures fall into this category.

currently, my mom has me get them quarterly (she pays). I also get quarterly facials--as a matter of skin care/health. it's all natural, ayurvedic.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-09 3:47 PM (#46279 - in reply to #46274)

zoebird - 2006-03-09 3:13 PM

i did have to speak to one particularly 'hippy' teacher about cleanliness--she smelled terrible because she didn't bathe frequently. She insisted that taking a shower every three days was all that was necessary, but i told her that in the mean time, she should at least take a sponge bath (it was a water policy thing on her part). it took the better part of three weeks to convince her, and i had to threaten her job teaching with us (it was a hot yoga studio, she was sweating--she also didn't believe in deoderants). so, cleanliness and grooming is important--and i think that pedicures fall into this category.

I thought it was only gamers who had the "funk" on a regular basis for lack of hygenie.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-03-09 4:41 PM (#46287 - in reply to #46253)

Extreme Veteran

YogaMommy - 2006-03-09 12:05 PM

Okay, I know it's a shallow question. But, do you female teachers have pedicures? I know for me, it seems like my feet are constantly on parade as a teacher and student of yoga. I like for my feet to look clean and nice, healthy and well taken care of. I got a pedicure last week, cause I had some dry skin on my heels, etc. Does that make me non-yogic?

What do ya'll think?

Carole

Yes! I am fanatical about keeping up with pedis. I am kind of obsessed by feet (yes, I know it's weird!) I always notice people's feet. I am most grossed out by long, pedicured toenails (i.e. most french pedicures), long toenails in general, and dry heel skin that is so crusty it might as well be a shoe. (And I've seen it all and then some.) I also hate the "this polish is more than halfway worn off but I am way too busy to remove the speckles that still dot my nails" look. I can't believe some people go around with their feet looking they way they do.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-09 5:02 PM (#46291 - in reply to #46253)

Hmm... I should send you some pics of my funky toes. I've got a new Motorola Razor cell phone, which actually has a decent camera. No flash, but the camera is about on par with a disposable camera.
Kym
Posted 2006-03-09 6:09 PM (#46298 - in reply to #46253)

Ohhhhh, you had me going GJ! I was all ready to pick up the phone and call DH to ask him if guys really talked about pits. I thought maybe he never had the heart to tell me. Errr, skip the toe pic....lol.

ZB, you make sense. I cared about what I looked like when I taught school, why shouldn't I be mindful of how I look now?

Edited by Kym 2006-03-09 6:14 PM
shnen
Posted 2006-03-09 7:12 PM (#46310 - in reply to #46253)

I try to keep my feet clean and well taken care of myself... but after a whole day at work with my feet stuck in shoes, sometimes i take off my socks and see all the sock fuzzies stuck to them....

I have thought about putting some toepolish on in a funky colour for fun - but thats just too high maintenance for my poor tootsies stuck in shoes most of the day...
tourist
Posted 2006-03-09 7:18 PM (#46311 - in reply to #46298)

Expert Yogi

I have had a few professional pedicures and only one of them was much better than I could do myself, although I must admit it is a lot easier to sit and sip some herbal tea and have someone else go at those dry heels So mostly I do my own every month or so. No polish because I can't be bothered, but I do like my feet to look decent. OTOH, I never gave them more than a toenail clip and a spalsh of cream before I started teaching. I also massage them now after we go dancing so that gives them a little more TLC as well.

I do like to have new looking clothes to teach in. Nothing flashy and certainly modest (Iyengar ethical code) but no holes or marks. If I were teaching in a school or working in an office, the same would apply so why not?

As for the hippie - I think there is so much misunderstanding of different times and situations. I have read numerous historical books about Victorian and Edwardian times and, although indeed they did not bathe fully very often, quick sponge baths ("top and tail" they were called") were considered essential.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-09 8:40 PM (#46326 - in reply to #46298)

Kym - 2006-03-09 6:09 PM

Ohhhhh, you had me going GJ! I was all ready to pick up the phone and call DH to ask him if guys really talked about pits. I thought maybe he never had the heart to tell me. Errr, skip the toe pic....lol.

In all honesty, I have NEVER, EVER, heard a guy comment about a woman's pits. Once in a while we make crass comments about the French women deliberately not shaving, but that's it. And that's because they're french. (Seriously) If a guy ever gave you trouble about it, I'd dump him, it's almost as bad as the Sienfield episode about man hands. WTF? Man hands? Who cares?

I just took a look at my toe, and it's much better. I think at one point I had two, and now I'm down to one, and it's half clear, half funky. Go yoga!

I do like to have new looking clothes to teach in. Nothing flashy and certainly modest (Iyengar ethical code) but no holes or marks.

There's an ethical code about dress? Seems a bit strict to me....

As for the hippie - I think there is so much misunderstanding of different times and situations. I have read numerous historical books about Victorian and Edwardian times and, although indeed they did not bathe fully very often, quick sponge baths ("top and tail" they were called") were considered essential.

Let's not forget all the slop in the streets, or the fact that people carried around hankerchiefs dipped in perfume to mask the odor. City's are pretty filthy now, they were 10x 150 years ago.

Posted 2006-03-09 10:28 PM (#46334 - in reply to #46253)

This is a good thread. I need a good pedicure. Did you know that we are the only living creatures, mammals with feet. Monkeys and primates have hands as feet. Anthropology class did pay off. Our feet are so unique that we do need to take care of them! I like my toenails short and do not like the long French manicured type. I agree with if you are going to use nail polish son't let it chip all the way down to the cuticle and realize it is time for a new coat of polish, duh?

Feet are cool and the fuzz from the socks in between your toes I refer to as toe jam. Even my cats get toe jam and diamond jam from the do-do box. I do ohave the problem of my heels being rough and I have one of those cuticle shavers so that I can remove that thick skin like skin from a tater in the shower.

Good thread and thanks Green jello for your imput on the armpit thing. When I lived overseas in Germany, it was uncanny that I would see women who would shave their underarms, but not their legs or vis-versa. Go figure. The French, I never figured out.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-10 9:37 AM (#46347 - in reply to #46334)

Expert Yogi

I love painting my toe nails and getting pedicures at the local salon....BUT, not anymore. Last year I was getting my nails done by the local nail salon run by Vietnemese people. They do a great job and they get it done fast. However, the products they use are not what I consider to be of quality and their sterilization processes are questionable. Especially last summer after my left toe nail had an unusual white spot on it. It spread all over my toe nail. Thank god I knew how to take care of this problem, because, it could of been worse. I have not been able to wear polish on my toes for several months now and I'm still using tea tree oil treatments to kill the fungus. I KNOW this came from the nail salon. There are some really scary stories about this and you really should be careful. I'm with Tourist, I'd rather do my own. You can go to Sally's and buy all the stuff you need for a nice pedicure. Just buy quality American made polishes and you'll love it. My favorite polish lines are OPI and Creative Nail - you can't get those from Sally's, ask your hair salon to order you these products. By doing it yourself, you monitor the wear of the polish and it's much healthier. It can be a lot of fun to take care of your feet. Although, I was having a great time with those ladies, it was convenient and spa like, they would draw all these cool designs on my toes and I thought it was good, but it wasn't. My toe nail is almost back to normal and just in time for spring and summer.

About the arm pit thing. In my husband's culture, women do not shave their underarms. If I had known, I would of never started shaving - period. I'll never forget the time my older sister said, "you really should pluck your eyebrows and do a wax on your chin"..I wish I never did that. My chin drives me nuts now and it hurt to pluck my eyebrows...I hate that!! Then when I had my first C-section in the hospital 20 years ago. I was already uspet about them cutting on my stomach, me and the surgeon had a 1 hour discussion about it before I signed the agreement, I made him perform a Bikini cut. That was devastating to me...but to add insult to injury, the friggin nurse came in the room before surgery and said, "we have to shave you"...I'm like WTF?? I was in tears, that area has never been the same, it really sucked. You know what?? I'm blonde, so I really could of been fine without shaving any parts of my body, now I have to maintain it like a man,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-03-10 9:47 AM
tourist
Posted 2006-03-10 10:09 AM (#46352 - in reply to #46347)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - I have to say your story in the last post along with your lawn mowing sig was pretty funny

I had a friend in high school who used car/airplane model paint on her toes. It never peeled off!

One of the reasons I take better care of my feet now is the dancing - I don't want to run those nylons with scratchy heels.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)