YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

headaches-migraines
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Posted 2005-01-21 3:54 PM (#15278)
Subject: headaches-migraines

Thanks ya'll for the emer-gen-c advice. I suffer from migraines and tension headaches and am taking prophylactic meds to help prevent them. Thus, due to all of the meds, I am dehydrated more than usual and the hot yoga does bring on the migraines. I have tried gatorade, which I do not like because it makes me bloat due to the sodium, so I am going the try the emer-gen-c. I know what to do if I don't feel right in class and know to modify...I used to teach yoga. I am glad that there are others that suffer from headaches also, especialy after during Bikram or the hot yoga. Thanks for all of the advice.

Namaste2
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-21 6:02 PM (#15287 - in reply to #15278)
Subject: RE: headaches-migraines

If you are interested, then let me know in full details your

1. diet
2. daily routine and
3. habits.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-01-22 10:33 AM (#15326 - in reply to #15278)

Expert Yogi

Cheryl - have you searched the forums for other headache threads? We have discussed them before and a lot of info has been given. I am a "migraineur" (hey - I just about typed "was" - a good sign that my migraine days are not as many as they used to be!) myself and have tried a LOT of things to help so may be able to be of assistance. I can tell you that yoga (not Bikram, as I mentioned before, heat is not good for me personally) over the past 7 or so years has made a huge difference. The other morning I woke up at 5:30 am with what used to be a typical tight neck, screaming headache. In the olden days it would have spelled the end of my day no matter what I did for it. It was bad enough that I took a Tylenol 3, mentally prepared to have a horrible day and checked my supply of Imitrex. BUT because my body is less locked up and tense now, it went away before I had even finished breakfast and I had a great day instead. So I still depend on my meds now and then but not tot he extent of the 100 T3's a month I used to take in the 70's...

Posted 2005-01-22 9:19 PM (#15362 - in reply to #15287)

Okay ya'll..I have suffered from headaches since I was 5 years old per my MD dad. I try not to eat anything to bring on the migraine and I am a dental hygienist so my posture throughout the day is not the best on the neck and shoulders. I put everything I have into my job to be gentle and thorough with my patients creating a lot more stress on myself. I work anywhere from 10-11 hour days and crash at night. I am hoping yoga, and know it, will improve my stamina, posture and well-being. I am now committed to eat better and drink more H2O between patients..that is hard to do! Anything else ya'll can think of? I will be doing more Vinyasa style yoga..Iyengar and Ashtanga. Feels great to begin my journey again!

Namaste2--Cheryl
tourist
Posted 2005-01-23 11:59 AM (#15412 - in reply to #15362)

Expert Yogi

Ohhhhh! I have some hygenists in my classes - they are pretty twisted up people. Did you see the list of neck exercises I posted somewhere else? They would be good warm ups for your work day.

I just bought sonicare and hope it will reduce my hours in the chair with my dental torturist - I mean hygenist...
gogirl58
Posted 2005-01-23 6:22 PM (#15443 - in reply to #15278)

Extreme Veteran

Be careful with Sonicaire. My dentist told me of patients "overbrushing", it's an individual
thing..... I use mine but not for 2 minutes at a time, more like 1 minute. They are great, if
used properly.

Posted 2005-01-23 8:10 PM (#15447 - in reply to #15278)

We RDH's are pretty twisted people and do carry a lot of tension in the neck and shoulders and that is way yoga is so good for us! I have not seen the neck exercises you mentioned Veteren. I am pretty flexible in the neck region, but advice would be appreciated.

The trick with the Sonicares is to use light pressure with them. If you have the Elite you can turn down the vibration which I do daily because it rocks my world! Let the Sonicare do the work for you and use a light touch and the 2 minute timer is there for you to brush a 1/4 of the mouth for each beep. It took me a while to get used to using an electric tb instead of a manuel one. Good luck to you and I hope I have answered any hygiene questions.

Namaste2 Cheryl
tourist
Posted 2005-01-24 10:44 AM (#15465 - in reply to #15447)

Expert Yogi

Cheryl - the exercises are so simple - just move within your range of motion and do each side 10 times 3 times per day.
- up and down (like "yes")
- side to side (like "no")
- shrug shoulders
- ear to shoulder
- roll shoulders back
- roll shoulders forward

Don't roll your neck and do the movements smoothly. You don't need to hold or stretch since gaining mobility is the aim,

I love the sonicare and hope it will improve my cleanings. I can tell I do a much better job of brushing with it. Of course it would be possible to overuse and overbrush - I often find that once a day is all I need and once with the regular brush of course - and floss.
samantha77
Posted 2005-01-26 4:54 PM (#15612 - in reply to #15278)

Extreme Veteran

I get migraines too, although not very frequently now. Should I avoid Bikram Yoga for that reason? I've never taken it before, but was planning to start.
Samantha
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-26 6:02 PM (#15617 - in reply to #15278)

Samantha:
There is NO relation between Headache and any Yoga Style. So, there is nothing to go for or avoid as far as Headache is considered. As for headache, your most important steps are:

a) without stressing yourself, find out the cause of the headache.
b) Until you find the cause, which you may never find, keep the face happy.
c) While actually in the headache, try to soften yourself as well as you can, preferably without any medication or chemicals or radiations, or vibrations, or hot/cold baths, etc.
d) If c) is not possible, then do whatever you is feasible.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-01-26 7:28 PM (#15632 - in reply to #15612)

Expert Yogi

Samantha - since migraines are so individual it is not possible to say for sure. If you love heat and never get migraines due to excess heat or humidity, go for it. If you get a migraine every time you try to do any kind of exercise in a hot place, don't go to Bikram - or do go and see if you eventually get over it. It is a very personal thing.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-01-27 10:00 AM (#15663 - in reply to #15278)

Expert Yogi

You should check your constitution - ie. Kapha, Vata and Pitta. I had extreme headaches when I first started Bikram. I have a strong Pitta constitution (most Americans do due their lifestyle, diet, environment, etc.). The nature of Pitta is fire. So, I started eating more Pitta reducing foods, NO spicy food or foods that provoke this constitution - walla - my headaches are barely there. Sometimes I notice them trying to come on, but they do not last and they are not that strong anymore. Also, drinking more water before and after practice helps alot. Eating right afterwards and not letting the body flush out the toxins is another important factor for headaches...I believe headaches is a sign that our body has something it's trying to get rid of.
samantha77
Posted 2005-01-27 12:53 PM (#15675 - in reply to #15617)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the advice. I'm definately going to try it. I haven't gotten a Migraine in about a month, and I love heat, so I think I'll be fine.
Samantha
yogabrian
Posted 2005-01-28 2:24 AM (#15716 - in reply to #15278)

yogabrian
Posted 2005-01-28 2:59 AM (#15717 - in reply to #15278)

While I can certainly agree will Neel that the exercises themselves generally will not cause headaches, the environment in which you are practicing can.

The following is my personal opinion and comes from seeing lots of the following over the course of my brief career of nearly 6 years of teaching a heated yoga full time in my area.

1. The rooms of Bikram classes are simply too hot. Often tempatures range not to the 105 recommended by Bikram himself but upwards of 110-120 with humidity. This is a perfect environment for heat stroke and heat exhastion. Put on top of that 90% Americans walk around dehydrated to begin with, headaches can very likey occur. Blackouts are more common in Birkam classes now then they where 5.5 years ago when I originally started in Bikram. You are basically cooking your brain and internal organs at this heat.

2. The instructors push too hard. Rather then teach more advanced exercises (from the 84 Asanas of the Bishnu Ghosh lineage) They seem to try and find ways to make the beginner asanas more challenging. Pushing to hard is a recipe for injury. Personally, I feel that's not yoga. Pushing ones limits can be good, but respecting limitations are very important.

3. Staying hydrated Forget trying to keep hydrated at these temps. The body can only absorb so much during exercise. By time the second set of the half moon arrives, if you get that dizzy feeling in the backbend, you may be getting the beginning effects of heat stroke. DO NOT DRINK ICE WATER! Cool water would be benecial, but iced water can potential hurt you at these temps.

4. The rooms stink. This more of a personal pet peeve. Everytime I have walked into a Bikram studio the smell of BO is disgusting. It is a breeding ground for bacteria, ever get a skin irriration after Bikram? EEEWWW! Hygenine is very important not only in yoga, but in life.

5. Not enoungh clean air. 110-115 degree + 20-25 people breathing hard, Don't care how fancy the heating system is fresh air is just never there.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-01-28 1:48 PM (#15727 - in reply to #15278)

Yes, I agree with Yoga Brain. What I meant was: that a Yoga Style does not have anything to do with headache. But, environment does have, and is surely part of the cause. In fact, hot room is the cause not only headaches, but of many other problems, and it is given here as my personal opinion, with all disclaimer.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Posted 2005-01-29 10:01 AM (#15751 - in reply to #15278)

Kudos to all of the above! Cyndi< I am definately a Pitta especially here in San Antonio, the birth place of Tex- Mex food! I do not eat as much as I used too mainly because it gives me heartburn and is fattening! Samantha, if the heat does not bother you, go for it. My migraines are hormonal, heat and stress related. Got a great massage yesterday...lots of toxins present. The muscles were not that bad, per therapist. Thank God for yoga! Feel great today...yoga practice this AM!

Namaste2
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)