YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rating Bikram's CD
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Chatoyancy
Posted 2007-06-24 12:32 PM (#90028)
Subject: Rating Bikram's CD

What's your input on Bikram's CD?

I've practiced off and on (mostly off) at Bikram studios for over 5 years now. I've had a hard time getting to the classes, so I bought the audio tape several years ago. I felt the tape's dialogue was a poor substitute for the actual class.

Once again I'm really missing the practice but can't get to the classes, so I'm wondering if Bikram's CD is an improvement over the tape.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-06-24 5:30 PM (#90035 - in reply to #90028)
Subject: RE: Rating Bikram's CD

Not that I have any answers to your questoin. But what is exactly a Bikram CD/tape? I'm guessing it's a instructional recorded dialogue to guide your practice on your own, so you won't have to time yourself every pose? I'm new to the Bikram practice and yoga.
Chatoyancy
Posted 2007-06-24 9:58 PM (#90048 - in reply to #90035)

Yes, it's a dialogue recorded by Bikram himself. He did an audio cassette tape several years ago. The timing was very different from actual classes and I had a very hard time following the cassette.

A few years ago Bikram released a CD that I believe is a new recording of the dialogue. I was hoping the timing issues and dialogue were closer to what we hear in the actual classes.
tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-06-25 7:23 PM (#90108 - in reply to #90028)

Thanks for the answer. My friend has been experiencing difficulty attending class as well. I will inform her of CD so she can choose to risk spending money or not. I hope you can get your answer on CD as well!

Oh, and I love your signature.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-06-26 9:17 AM (#90132 - in reply to #90108)

Expert Yogi

Actually, I like doing Bikram at home with no tapes or CD's.  In the beginning I used Bikram's tape, it was okay to get me started so I could learn the sequence...then he got on my nerves totally.  Then my instructor had one that she produced, it was much better.  Until...I got to the point where I knew it so well, I had to stop.  Now days, silence is best.  I like being able to pace myself and take my time in each posture..it's great and sometimes my practice will go for 2 hours..you should try it, it's really nice.
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-26 1:02 PM (#90157 - in reply to #90028)

Tony sanchez produces some some nice cds (and dvds) as well.
Chatoyancy
Posted 2007-07-05 9:04 AM (#90719 - in reply to #90157)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Might seem a silly question, but do the Tony Sanchez DVD's have narration or dialogue? Does he talk you through the poses?

It's interesting that practice in silence, or without dialogue, is mentioned. I've recently been checking out various Bikram studios online in anticipation of a possible relocation, and I've noticed a few studios are offering a "silent" class. I'm not sure I'm at a point where that would work for me, with my yo-yo tendencies. But I was pretty surprised to notice that offered at a Bikram studio. I thought the dialogue was part of it.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-05 9:41 AM (#90723 - in reply to #90719)

Expert Yogi

The dialogue is a part of it...in the beginning.  Most studios offer music or silent classes.  I should say the older Bikram teachers do this, since most of them are now familiar with other styles of yoga.  Some studios only allow you to do these classes if your're a seasoned practictioner and very familiar with the program and/or don't need assistance.  Usually the pace is a lot faster in these classes, but without the dialogue, it's easier to do it because you don't have that distraction of talking and adjusting.  I do it at home just like this....and it is sooo nice.  But, learning the sequence first helps,
tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-07-05 11:28 AM (#90762 - in reply to #90028)

Just out of curiosity, anyone know what's Bikram's intake on silent practices? Does he encourage it?
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-05 12:24 PM (#90769 - in reply to #90762)

Expert Yogi

Well, in his first book he wrote it and included persons who couldn't get to a studio.  He specifically mentions how to heat your house up and what to do with heaters and humidity and such.  Now that he's all famous and has studios all over the place....probably not, it would mess up revenue counts don't ya think?? 

tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-07-05 2:49 PM (#90782 - in reply to #90769)

Cyndi - 2007-07-05 9:24 AM

Well, in his first book he wrote it and included persons who couldn't get to a studio.  He specifically mentions how to heat your house up and what to do with heaters and humidity and such.  Now that he's all famous and has studios all over the place....probably not, it would mess up revenue counts don't ya think?? 

watch cyndi get attacked by Bikram(person) enthusiasts in 3.....2......
cyndi.. have you ran away yet?
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-05 2:58 PM (#90784 - in reply to #90782)

Expert Yogi

watch cyndi get attacked by Bikram(person) enthusiasts in 3.....2...... cyndi.. have you ran away yet?

Nope!  I've been waiting on Bikram for years...I have a special cup of chai waiting....just for him.  When we meet, we're gonna be great pals,

tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-07-05 4:15 PM (#90799 - in reply to #90028)

Are you sure??? He seems rather difficult person, now wait for me to be attacked.. 3....2....
Seriously.. Watch 60 minutes!! But if you still want to have a cup of chai with him, make sure first that you're not wearing any greens or have it near by , second... have him drink decafe ONLY!!
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-05 5:04 PM (#90802 - in reply to #90799)

Expert Yogi

Okay, I give...what are "greens"?? 

Bikram is no more difficult than any other Indian that I know.  Don't worry, I know how to deal with him, I always have an Ace in the Hole...remember, I'm a cowgirl and part Native American Indian,  

tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-07-05 5:45 PM (#90806 - in reply to #90028)

Apparently Bikram hates green, colour(notice Canadian spelling? ) not newbie yogis and yoginis. Sort of bad luck colour for him? While I was looking up some informations on his website he even stated in his Teacher Training prep page that no one should bring ANY greens.. LOL Man's quirky.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-05 8:06 PM (#90820 - in reply to #90806)

Expert Yogi

Hey Tabula,

Just so you'll know what kind of Bikram Brat I am (I'm giving myself a new name, ), I have 2 favorite yoga outfits....one is a green pair of shorts, and the other is a pair of green capri yoga pants.  Then my very first Bikram Yoga mat was, well you know...GREEN,

So, today being the Bikram Brat that I am.....I did a 2-hour and 15 minute Bikram Hot Yoga session, at home.  My temp was 83 degrees.  My modifications went something like this.  I did all the standing postures like I'm suppose to, except during Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana aka Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose, I like to stay in that one much longer and I turn it into a Separate Standing Leg Downward Dog.  It's great for the lower back. Then I had a 10 minute Savasana.  Instead of doing the usual Bikram Dhanurasana, I did a much nicer one that my teacher showed me...nice modification.  Then, after that, instead of going straight to Supta Vajrasana....I did a nice child's pose, several cat/cow's, then I went into a perfect DownDog, back into child's pose....then I did Supta Vajarasana.  It was the perfect sequence for my body.  Then of course there is my favorite...Ustrasana (aka Camel) that I always take my sweet time in and out...like I don't come up too quickly after that in-between Savasana...I like to relish the moment, ...anyway, at the end I did my usual 20 minute Savasana.  It was such a great day.  I just love Bikram Yoga...I really mean that.  If I had not have ever gone to the studio that day, I would be somewhere else.  It has opened up a whole new world for me and I'm eternally forever grateful.  It's a truly wonderful sequence and with modifications...even better!!  Take care,

Edited by Cyndi 2007-07-05 8:09 PM
tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-07-06 12:52 AM (#90825 - in reply to #90028)

good god cyndi.. you're talking to a newbie here, as i was reading it i was looking back and forth between your post and the pose names.. LOL Good practice, and i can only hope i can brench out to home practice myself for spare times in need of meditation! Are you going to be in teacher training?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)