YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Excessive sweating problem
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

holly
Posted 2007-03-27 9:58 AM (#81384)
Subject: Excessive sweating problem

I have been doing Bikram every other day for a 6 weeks with a weeks break after four.
I was dehydrating quite badly no matter how many fluids I drank, water, coconut water, organic fresh vege juice - a problem which I think I have solved with about 3 EmergenC a day
BUT My body has gone into stress and now overheats and sweats at the slightest activity. This is very uncool.
When I took the break, my body started righting the sweating issue and after about 7 days was kind of nearly ok again.
After three classes starting again I am back excessively sweating everyday and I have also had chest pains, which may be just flushing out, three days ago after class I felt a pressure on the heart area, like a hand pushing and yesterday I had chest pains just to the left and right of my heart, it could even be muscle I don't know. Today the areas feel (but do not look) bruised. Obviously no one wants to be dehydrating with chest pains - that is not good!
I feel as if I have a new back and love the yoga but I also feel concerned about this sweating and it is very anti social and uncomfortable - no odor, just not nice.
It gets worse the more I do. Like day one, after the week break I was ok, and now day six I am really sweating again.
I know stopping Bikram is one solution, but I also feel the benefits in there too....so does anyone have experience of this and did they resolve it somehow?
I do not have a history of cardiovascular illness although I have overheated before many years ago when I was ill, it drove me crazy then.
Thanks for your input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-03-27 10:15 AM (#81392 - in reply to #81384)
Subject: RE: Excessive sweating problem

Way too many variables there to address Holly--very wise that you're being aware and I can only in good consiousness advise to see a doctor.
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-27 11:06 AM (#81404 - in reply to #81384)

Hi Holly,

Welcome to the forum.

While I haven't personally experienced the issue you mention, it does seem that your body is experiencing a negative reaction to the forced heat.

I'm sure the official Bikram party line will be to stick with it, though my advice would be to try another style for a while and see how your body reacts or adapts. Yoga works on many levels including the physical, mental, emotional and also the hormonal.

If you like the heat, maybe try a style like Ashtanga which generates the appropriate body heat internally.

Jonathon
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-27 11:06 AM (#81405 - in reply to #81384)

....but first follow Bruces advice.
yogabrian
Posted 2007-03-27 11:49 AM (#81415 - in reply to #81384)

Holly,

I would also advise you see a doctor. Also, stop doing Bikram until you get a doctors ok. The high heat is REALLY bad for those with heart issues. The kind of discomfort you are talking about is not good. Sounds like heat exhastion. On top of a bad ticker, high heat + dehydration=VERY BAD THINGS!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-27 2:30 PM (#81457 - in reply to #81384)

holly - 2007-03-27 9:58 AM

I have been doing Bikram every other day for a 6 weeks with a weeks break after four.
I was dehydrating quite badly no matter how many fluids I drank, water, coconut water, organic fresh vege juice - a problem which I think I have solved with about 3 EmergenC a day
BUT My body has gone into stress and now overheats and sweats at the slightest activity. This is very uncool.
When I took the break, my body started righting the sweating issue and after about 7 days was kind of nearly ok again.
After three classes starting again I am back excessively sweating everyday and I have also had chest pains, which may be just flushing out, three days ago after class I felt a pressure on the heart area, like a hand pushing and yesterday I had chest pains just to the left and right of my heart, it could even be muscle I don't know. Today the areas feel (but do not look) bruised. Obviously no one wants to be dehydrating with chest pains - that is not good!
I feel as if I have a new back and love the yoga but I also feel concerned about this sweating and it is very anti social and uncomfortable - no odor, just not nice.
It gets worse the more I do. Like day one, after the week break I was ok, and now day six I am really sweating again.
I know stopping Bikram is one solution, but I also feel the benefits in there too....so does anyone have experience of this and did they resolve it somehow?
I do not have a history of cardiovascular illness although I have overheated before many years ago when I was ill, it drove me crazy then.
Thanks for your input.

Stop practicing in the heat before you get permanent 'holly-day', that is death.
laylie99
Posted 2007-03-27 2:59 PM (#81460 - in reply to #81384)

I'm not a doctor, so I'm not going to make a generalization and tell you the heat is just "bad" for your heart... especially if the yoga is helping your back, but it does seem that you've found a correlation. Which for me, would be enough to either change the type of yoga or find another activity and by process of elimination, isolate the source of your problem.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems strange that taking EmergenC keeps you from being dehydrated. I thought taking more vitamins required our bodies to consume more fluids?

I suppose at some point, you'll have to decide if the benefits you're getting out of Bikram are worth the discomfort you're feeling from the sweating.
The chest pains are concerning though... if I were you, I'd run this past your doctor asap... Does anyone know anything about exercise-induced Angina?
Bill
Posted 2007-03-27 6:09 PM (#81475 - in reply to #81384)

Holly,

It sounds like you really enjoy Bikram yoga. Likewise.

Its hard to give advice not knowing much about you...age, general health, etc. But, if you wish to continue listen to your body. This is not a competition.

Don't play around with chest pains, get examined so you can have peace of mind.

Stop taking EmergC. It has chromium.. (3 packets is alot of stimulant) go organic... bottled
water. (How much water do you drink daily)

I had sweating. It passed.

Backoff a little...its only a practice.

Talk with your instructor about your concerns they know you best.

Remember, be kind to yourself.

Namaste
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-27 10:34 PM (#81489 - in reply to #81384)

An alcoholic also loves alocohol. And, the heated one loves heat. What is the harm in doing the same exercise without heat? Or having a party without alcohol? First drink lot of alochol, and then take strong coffee to become sober, and then ask friend to drop you home. First, heat the body, then go crazy with drinking water, sweating, skin problems, and then ask for kind words, and take chromium and such.

Non Sense in Yoga.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-03-28 8:51 PM (#81581 - in reply to #81457)

kulkarnn - 2007-03-27 2:30 PM

Stop practicing in the heat before you get permanent 'holly-day', that is death.

Oh man, that made me laugh
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-28 9:50 PM (#81587 - in reply to #81581)

shalamOM - 2007-03-28 8:51 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-03-27 2:30 PM

Oh man, that made me laugh

But, it should make the original poster cry. Tears are better than sweat. Thanks Shalom.
CathleenH
Posted 2007-03-29 10:05 AM (#81636 - in reply to #81384)

Holly - Your body is talking to you loud and clear. All you have to do is listen. Not all types of yoga are suitable for all people. I recently dropped a great class. I loved the teachers and the class overall, but it was raising too much energy in the evening and giving me insomnia. I'm sure it wasn't a problem for most of the students, but it wasn't good for me.

Yoga is all about listening to your body. If you're not listening when it's screaming at you, will you be listening to the subtle things it says during practice?

Your problem sounds alarming. Find another way to practice yoga.
holly
Posted 2007-03-29 1:06 PM (#81650 - in reply to #81475)

Thanks..It seems that it might have been my lungs clearing out..I walked up twelve flights of stairs (broken elevator I am not completely mad) and it was easy.
Now my lungs seem to be clearing out a little.
Ok, I will take regular electrolyte drinks....They say on the packet take 2-4 a day or something.
44, done yoga on and off for years, swim all the time.
Tell me about your experience with the sweating please, the symptoms and how long etc..how much you practiced...it would help me understand other people.
My friend who is Bikram teacher said that he only ever knew 2 people that stopped because of this problem in 8 years of teaching.
I have decided to try Bikram every four days instead of every other day, and keep backing off until I reach a place of equilibrium.
Thanks for your input.
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-29 1:10 PM (#81653 - in reply to #81384)

As a teacher of Yoga, I still strongly recommend that you see a doctor.

Jonathon
holly
Posted 2007-03-29 1:12 PM (#81652 - in reply to #81392)

UK resident, in US. no insurance. God bless America.
It seems to have been my lungs, (or the muscle over the ribs)whether they are clearing out in the name of health, or collapsing I cannot tell. Joke. I am stretching such new parts it can be hard to tell.
joscmt
Posted 2007-03-29 9:57 PM (#81706 - in reply to #81384)

Hi there, I don't know if it's related or not, but I'll share my story. When we first opened our restaurant..I worked in the front of the house with the servers. As time passed, I was needed in the kitchen on the oven station. By oven, I mean a 700 degree pizza oven. For the first 6-8 mos, I sweated like nuts!! I mean, crazy super-sweating. Eventually, my body adjusted to the intense heat. Now, I rarely sweat when I work the pizza oven.... I have to be really rockin' and rollin' to break a sweat.
The benefit of this is that the summer weather hardly bothers me anymore...people will be complaining about the heat and I'm thinking "what heat?" The downside is that my body is confused with temperatures....well, maybe my body isn't, but my head is.. I now get cold really easily.
Being from the UK, you're body is probably just not used to 100+ degree heat..... it'll go through an adjustment period... same as it would if you moved to Texas (or some other hot place down south). I went through a bit of the same thing (on a much smaller scale) when I moved to Texas from Boston, MA... my first summer was incredibly hot... my second, no big deal.
The pains, I can't advise you on.. however, there are clinics around that don't charge an arm and a leg for medical care ( I was once without insurance too!).
Good luck!
holly
Posted 2007-03-29 10:12 PM (#81709 - in reply to #81706)

Thanks, it could be a little of that...I am Australian though and have been living in Brazil for years too, it's pretty hot where I live. Having said that, I think in moderation my body will adjust. Since Monday's Yoga it has calmed down almost completely and is back to normal. So probably very 4 -5 days instead of every other day would be good. Ever the optimist i am actually feeling and thinking now that my lungs just cracked open an old ossified bit of restrictive whatnot. It was both sides and they feel quite expanded now. I have always had tenderness there, as if i am 'holding' pain, or stuck energy.
Thanks..
holly
Posted 2007-03-29 10:17 PM (#81710 - in reply to #81489)

You are quite relentless and a little unproductive in your answers.
Funny too but really, sweat lodges and flushing out the body and yoga in the heat is nothing like pumping your body full of coffee and then whatever whatever.
Different things are good for different people and whilst I am not Bikram crazy type A etc.. many of the people I know who practice it have helped themselves recover from chronic injuries, car accidents, and other issues, They feel great and have gorgeous skin.
So...say something useful.
holly
Posted 2007-03-29 10:20 PM (#81711 - in reply to #81460)

It seems to be my lungs breaking up crap...today...
it must be the C, without it I can crave fruit juice like a fiend and it is electrolyte as well as Vitamins.
holly
Posted 2007-03-29 10:23 PM (#81713 - in reply to #81475)

I drink about 6 glasses, and cranberry and black cherry juice and a pint of fresh vegetable juice.
Chromium (i know what it is) but what do you mean in this context?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)