YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is your Yoga style?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

mishoga
Posted 2006-02-18 8:47 PM (#44022)
Subject: What is your Yoga style?

Expert Yogi

Everyone has their own special "thang" as far as teaching. What is your special Yoga Signature for students.
Slide into a student role and think, "what would they describe the experience as?". What do you enjoy the most in your class? QPeace, sharing, etc.....

This should be so informative for all of us. Let's share on?

My big thing is having different music for each class (all classes) I mx all of my songs and load onto my ipod with looping and transitions to be continuous.

I also like to use essential oils to create a certain feeling, depending on the time of day.
Daitme, early, jasmine or verbena

nightime, lavender, ylang-ylang, bulgarian rose, and oris root.

I prefer teaching by candlelight.
The list can go on. I love it and it fuels me up.

Let's share peeps!
Mishy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-02-18 9:12 PM (#44026 - in reply to #44022)
Subject: RE: What is your Yoga style?

Expert Yogi

I'm silly. I tell dumb stories. When I say "go get a block" I back track and tell them "one block each, not just one for the whole class..." I steal other teacher's lines - in hard poses I'll say "and look ridiculously happy!" or remind them in the final minutes of a long hold that it is considered auspicious to die in a yoga pose. And I apparently chant the invocation to Patanjali very nicely. I get compliments
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-18 9:17 PM (#44028 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

That;s cool Tourist. I like a sense of balance, which for me means making others laugh and smile.
Thanks for sharing....Wink...Wink
Mish
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-18 9:45 PM (#44032 - in reply to #44022)

I think everybody steals somebodies stuff. The trick is to do it well, and make it your own.
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-18 10:03 PM (#44036 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

That's true. It is also true that there are some who are boring! no personality.
YogaMommy
Posted 2006-02-18 10:44 PM (#44040 - in reply to #44022)

I've been told I have "presence" and that I'm "nurturing".

Carole
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-18 10:59 PM (#44044 - in reply to #44040)

YogaMommy - 2006-02-18 10:44 PM

I've been told I have "presence" and that I'm "nurturing".

People keep telling me I have good energy. I'm not really sure what they mean.... It's very odd to me.

Ex: I went to a lecture on Zen Buddhism, with a real live Zen Buddhist Monk. I asked a question about whether there was progress in Zen or not, which has been bothering me for quite some time. He and I kinda got into it a bit, on a completely friendly basis, and after the lecture everybody wanted to shake my hand, and congradulate me on a good question. I just don't get it, I just wanted an answer, which I didn't get.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-19 11:47 AM (#44067 - in reply to #44044)

Expert Yogi

Classic Zen, eh?
skatrenah
Posted 2006-02-20 10:48 AM (#44131 - in reply to #44022)

Real Eastern teachers almost never give you a straight answer. I spent some time at an ashram and almost every time I asked a question, someone smiled at me and asked what I thought about it.

GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-20 11:13 AM (#44145 - in reply to #44067)

tourist - 2006-02-19 11:47 AM

Classic Zen, eh?

Almost, the whole place really "stinks of Zen".

Real Eastern teachers almost never give you a straight answer. I spent some time at an ashram and almost every time I asked a question, someone smiled at me and asked what I thought about it.

Sure, I pretty much expected the answer I got, which was probably the reason he and I went back and forth. I understand that generally the answer to most questions in Zen is a direct demonstration of the answer, rather than any words. The thing that really surprised me was the a lot of the audience members seemed to think that my question was any better than anybody elses. This goes back to some other things I've been noticing lately, frankly I beginning to wonder if I have a halo or something.....
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 1:13 PM (#44152 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

mishoga - 2006-02-18 8:47 PM

This should be so informative for all of us. Let's share on?

My big thing is having different music for each class (all classes) I mx all of my songs and load onto my ipod with looping and transitions to be continuous.

I also like to use essential oils to create a certain feeling, depending on the time of day.
Daitme, early, jasmine or verbena

nightime, lavender, ylang-ylang, bulgarian rose, and oris root.

I prefer teaching by candlelight.
The list can go on. I love it and it fuels me up.

Not to start anything here and this is not to offend anyone, however, this kinda stuff is exactly what turns me off to practicing Yoga in a studio. I think it turns off other people as well. I can think of several people I know that would avoid these studios just for this reason. They think it is wierd. I don't necessarily mind EO's being used in subtle places like the restroom in the studio, like a neutral Lavender is nice and soothing.

But, the music thing and candlelites is a bit too much, and sometimes it looks so cheesy and not what I consider Yoga to be. When I practice to music at home, it is of my choosing and my mood. It is a very personal thing. I'm very selective and picky about music to practice to and again, it's personal. I'll never forget once I went to my studio and found the substitute teacher to be the teacher of the day. She drove me crazy with her hip-hop music all the way through a Hot/Bikram yoga class. I was so glad to get the hell out of there. I just think its inappropriate to have music in yoga class....unless of course, there is however an ongoing Hot Music class in my area. I haven't been in a long time, even though I was expecting music...I just didn't like the way I felt afterwards, but at least I KNEW to expect it.

Sometimes what we think is so wonderful and great, may not be so great and wonderful for others. If we are going to be good at our jobs of teaching, and guard the quality of yoga, we must respect this aspect and keep it as neutral and simple as possible. Besides, people need to know that you don't have to spend tons of $$ on music, ipods, expensive yoga mats and bags, clothes, candles and essential oils to practice yoga and to be successful in their yoga practice. It sends the wrong message.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-20 2:18 PM (#44154 - in reply to #44152)

And I'm just the opposite. I LOVE what Mishy does, and it's very similar to the atmosphere in our studio. A neutral atmosphere would be okay, but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun for me (and I'm one of those who finds Yoga playful and fun...I can tell Tourist would be my kind of teacher).

Good thing there's enough room for all styles, since our practices seem to be as individual as our personalities.
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-20 2:39 PM (#44155 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi, I agree with you that we don't have to spend tons of money on "Things". That is not what yoga is about. Personally for myself, I find lighting lavender candles (for this one particular class I teach) helps elliminate the strench from the previous kick boxing class (30-40 students).
It also seems to relax my students. I have had all positive feedback, with more and more students returning every week.
As far as the aromatheray, I use this to create a sense of relaxation, well-being, etc..... Did you know in certain cultures that lavender flowers are thrown on the floors of recovery rooms to help heal through sense of smell? I pick my scents depending on what time of day it is. I've had nothing but positive reactions from my students. My students dictate how our time together progresses and to what degree. I like to open people to experience things they might not on their own. It has proved to be very pleasing
As far as music, that is personal. If someone walked into my class and was turned off either by my style, music, etc....they have the choice to not return. That is what is wonderful. Everyone has the ability to decide what is right for them.
Saying that Yoga should be taught by strict guidelines is behaving like the Roman Catholic church. If you don't follow their rules you're consider a bad catholic. I don't buy it. For me, I think Yoga, as with art and music, is an expression of each individual instructor. That is why some instructors are in demand and some are not. Charisma plays a significant role.

I personally don't like a quiet class style. I would not put another down for deciding to go that route but I would not return to that class. Choices! We are lucky we have the right to make individual choices.

Peace out!
Mishy
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 2:40 PM (#44156 - in reply to #44154)

Expert Yogi

Lori,

Don't get me wrong, at home I do all these things and probably more than you guys can even imagine. I have 3 alters in my home that have sesame and/or ghee lamps and tea lites burning continuously while I'm at home and while sleeping. In fact, I keep a tea lite burning in front of Shiva all night long. I burn incense on a regular basis, I particularly like Nippon Kodo's NK Pure line of natural scents - they are less offensive and are made of all natural pure ingredients, with Green Tea being my absolute favorite. I have an I-pod with over 3,000 songs on it (that's only 1/4 of my collection) and 3/4 of these 3,000 songs are mostly New Age/Jazz/Yoga/Relaxation/Indian Chanting music. I have several yoga mats, and buy top of the line "My Tonic" Yoga clothing, in fact, I have more Yoga clothes than I do regular clothes.

The point is that NOT everyone can either afford it, tolerate it, and may not share the same interest that I do when it comes to keeping alters and living a hindu life. Some if not MOST people think this is wierd. In fact, I don't invite many people to my home for this very reason. The other point is that NON of this is necessary for a complete Yoga practice..in fact, I could do without all of it...except the alters, lamps and incense...and of course, some clothes would be nice since I don't particularly care to do yoga in the nude, I'm afraid Brucebhai would be lurking around the window,
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 2:54 PM (#44158 - in reply to #44155)

Expert Yogi

Actually Mishoga I've been using EO's for many many years, I know the value of them, but they are not necessary for Yoga practice and can be very offensive to some if not most people.

Your comments here:

"Saying that Yoga should be taught by strict guidelines is behaving like the Roman Catholic church. If you don't follow their rules you're consider a bad catholic. I don't buy it. For me, I think Yoga, as with art and music, is an expression of each individual instructor. That is why some instructors are in demand and some are not. Charisma plays a significant role"

I think this works both ways. You are contradicting yourself because in essence you yourself are forcing your "Yoga Methods" onto other people. These methods that you are enforcing, like music, incense, and candles traditionally are not part of the yoga practice. This is something that yoga instructors such as yourself have created and is the reason Yoga gets a bad reputation here in the west. I personally don't like the choices offered here in America and I think its the reasons so many studios go out of business all the time. There is no consistency in the class and in the yoga instructor's sometimes ridiculous methods of teaching.

If someone walked out of my studio because of the music I was playing and my arrogance in not being considerate by either turning it off or adjusting it in some way, I would feel very bad and I would see a great big loss on that potential student's behalf. That is a great big tragedy and is BS as far as I'm concerned. You call that yoga?? I don't.

You also stated:

"I personally don't like a quiet class style. I would not put another down for deciding to go that route but I would not return to that class. Choices! We are lucky we have the right to make individual choices"

More arrogance and a big mis-representation of yoga.....period.

In your first post on this thread you stated:

"Slide into a student role and think, "what would they describe the experience as?". What do you enjoy the most in your class? QPeace, sharing, etc....."

Then when you hear what a student would experience, from what you have stated and commented so far, all I can see is that all you care about is what *your* experience is, NOT what the student's experience is. To me that is so self-centered and your right at this point, I'm glad we have choices to see these kinds of characters. Have a good day.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-02-20 3:00 PM
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-20 3:06 PM (#44162 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

I disagree with you. I don't think yoga has a bad rap. Yoga is the number one fitness regime that has grown in the past seven years bypassing all others forms of fitness.

And I'm not forcing anything one anyone. Remember.....CHOICES!!!!

I also respect my students tremendously and that is why I have a loyal following. They decide on music, flow of class, scents, lights, temperature, etc.... before class starts.
They know I will do as they wish. I haven't met that many instructors who teach in this manner.
This style works for me. This is my likes and obviously I am going to instruct in a style that reflects me.

How can this be taken down when this only applies to me and my students.

You just made me think of this instructor in one of the gyms I teach a kids yoga class. She is so adament about her style of yoga she will openly put other instructors down or go out of her way to convince her students why her way is the only way. It is a form of sabotage, but the funny thing is it can backfire on her. Students are becoming bored of her style. I don't get that?
If you are confident in your own style why worry about how others decide to lead students to a path of yoga?

Just a thought
Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-02-20 3:07 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-20 3:18 PM (#44164 - in reply to #44022)

nd of course, some clothes would be nice since I don't particularly care to do yoga in the nude, I'm afraid Brucebhai would be lurking around the window,

Plus she's 98, so probably not the hottest momma on the block....
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 3:24 PM (#44167 - in reply to #44164)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-02-20 3:18 PM

nd of course, some clothes would be nice since I don't particularly care to do yoga in the nude, I'm afraid Brucebhai would be lurking around the window,

Plus she's 98, so probably not the hottest momma on the block....

GJ, nope, not the hottest on the block at all!! Actually, she's older than 98 and ancient. She who has been around since before the sands of time, you still ain't figured out that face on my picture yet!!

It's not Barbara Eden either....she's older than Jeanie,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-02-20 3:25 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 3:47 PM (#44169 - in reply to #44162)

Expert Yogi

Well, I was just at a workshop with a *true* Indian Yoga Master who made the comment that Yoga in America was very disconcerning and that the 2 main yoga types (names withheld) were putting out teachers way too soon. I already knew that.

You can disagree with me all you want. Like I said earlier, in your original post to this thread you wanted to get inside a students head and learn what their experience was..well, you got it and I'm truly sorry you don't like what you got. Ask and you shall receive.

Don't compare me to some gym yoga teacher...you don't know me at all and don't even think for one minute that you do. Yoga has been around for thousands of years and has done very well. It's only in the past 25 years that it has gone through some very major destructive changes. Changes that people like you have altered and ruined. So don't talk to me about rigidity and sabatoge. Preserving Yoga and protecting the dharma is very important if yoga is to survive and flourish. The way things are going now in the US, Yoga is just a trend, not a practice. It will fizzle out very quickly. A *true* Yoga practice and a *true* Yoga aspirant will never die, it lives on because of the heritage and the originating location which is in India, will guard and protect it. You can keep doing whatever you want, no one is going to stop you. This is America, so do what you feel is best.
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-20 3:57 PM (#44170 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi, when will you learn the art of "agreeing to disagree"? Lighten up!
This was a light question asked of all. I know you disagree. You seem to disagree with what many say here.
How narrow it is to try so hard to make people agree with your way of thinking. I wish you luck in your quest.
I do not wish to have aggressive, and combatative conversation. I like life to be enjoyable. There is enough conflict in this world and in each one of our lives. Why bring it here?

You're so knowledgable. Why are you so bent on correcting others to what you see as the right way? Is this your yoga way of life?

Mish

Please excuse me for this (for the peeps who don't know me) Me and Cyndi seem to bump all the time.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-20 4:08 PM (#44172 - in reply to #44170)

mishoga -
Cyndi, when will you learn the art of "agreeing to disagree"?

It is an art form, isn't it? It can be difficult to learn, but once you get it, it's such a relief. It's way less effort.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 4:13 PM (#44173 - in reply to #44170)

Expert Yogi

Don't try to patronize me Mishoga and don't tell me how I should act and speak in my postings.

You are being very judgemental and you are totally out of line about me. You don't know what you are talking about.

You on the other hand are the one who seems to not be able to take the criticism and you seem to have a low tolerance for other ideas yourself. Don't put words in my mouth. I have every right to post here until I get kicked off this board, just like you do. I also have my experience and knowledge regarding yoga to share as well. You are not the only one. I'm going to remind you again, You, not me, asked the original question about a student's experience and you got what you asked for. Again, I am truly sorry that my statements and experience do not match with yours. Just because I disagree does not mean that I don't know the art of agreeing to disagree. I simply am quite the opposite from most people and am NOT the majority. I come from a traditional background and I take my practice very seriously. I only replied to this thread to help balance it out. It is not a "light" manner when you start interferring with the yoga practice the way its been done here in the US. One of these days you may be able to figure this out, you may not. There are so many of us who have figured it out....you should consider yourself lucky to be having this conversation with me as I'm one of the rare few.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-20 4:14 PM (#44174 - in reply to #44170)

mishoga - 2006-02-20 3:57 PM
Please excuse me for this (for the peeps who don't know me) Me and Cyndi seem to bump all the time.

Don't think it's just you.... I think tourist is the only person that hasn't bumped heads with her yet, but then Glenda's way to nice to start anything with anybody.

In this case I think it's matter of presentation. She's often got some good points, but she's not very good at presenting them. Or dealing with any disagreement.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-20 4:16 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-20 4:23 PM (#44175 - in reply to #44174)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-02-20 4:14 PM

mishoga - 2006-02-20 3:57 PM

Don't think it's just you.... I think tourist is the only person that hasn't bumped heads with her yet, but then Glenda's way to nice to start anything with anybody.

Actually, Glenda and I have had our moments...you weren't here GJ. Besides, I think Glenda and I have a mutual respect for one another as fellow yoga practictioners. I personally have a high respect for Glenda and I hope she feels somewhat mutual towards me. At least Glenda has an open mind. Please do not meddle in this and make these kinds of comments about me and Glenda. I really don't care if people agree or disagree or not with me. That is not my job to sit here and play patsy to people on this forum. I'm here for entertainment and the knowledge exchange just as much as anybody. If your looking for new fans to the "Mishoga" Club, I am not interested in joining, like I said, I only posted to balance out the thread. NOT everyone likes incense, musica and candles, Jesus Christ!
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-20 4:26 PM (#44176 - in reply to #44022)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi, you just can't refrain from insulting me, can you? I sit here smiling knowing that I have such an impact on you. It's quite the compliment.

I think we can move on now. I AGREE TO DISAGREE, without personally attacking you.
peace!

Oh by the way, I asked about your experience, not what you thought of mine. Thought I should clear that up for you since you misunderstood my topic.

Edited by mishoga 2006-02-20 4:27 PM
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)