YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is your Yoga style?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 9 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-26 11:14 PM (#45058 - in reply to #44987)
Subject: RE: What is your Yoga style?

zoebird - 2006-02-26 9:11 AM
Re: Guns

I recommend watching bowling for columbine. it makes an interesting argument. essentially, canadians own as many or more guns per capita than the US, but have far less gun violence overall. the reason, according to the argument of the film, is the culture of fear perpetuated by the media, etc, that exists in the US. it's an interesting argument.

Really not a big fan of Micheal Moore. A lot of the stuff in that movie was a groose misrepresentation which bothers me. I also didn't care for the part where he uses the two victims of columbine to bully/abuse the employees/PR people of K-Mart. Very low class. That having been said, I went and saw it at the local art house theather. I snuck in two beers and had a lovely time watching it, great fun, lousey for facts.

Re: YogaFit

I often councel people about yoga teacher trainings in this regard. Many people who pay for these trainings are people who want to teach on a minimal basis--one or two classes a week--and they dont' care about the money or whatever else. They want to teach because they love it. I recommend that these people--if they have a yoga practice of their own--get CPR certified and volunteer to teach at their church, community center, hospital or some other location. It allows them to do the heart work of yoga, to teach and share as their heart is content, and not put money into pockets for those who are simply striving to factory-train teachers (it is expensive).

This is an interesting idea. I think about doing TT every once in a while, partially because I think it will give me a better understanding of things, and partially because I might want to do a class a week. That having been said I prefer to do ninja teaching, where I'm not pinned down to doing anything in partial.

The idea of the TT training being big money is interesting. I used to take them fairly seriously, and thought that they were more serious about their practices than the rest of us, but I'm starting to come out of that notion. What really indicates a dedicated yogi? Think I'll start another thread.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-02-26 11:36 PM (#45062 - in reply to #45058)

GreenJello - 2006-02-26 11:14 PM

Really not a big fan of Micheal Moore. A lot of the stuff in that movie was a groose misrepresentation which bothers me. I also didn't care for the part where he uses the two victims of columbine to bully/abuse the employees/PR people of K-Mart. Very low class. That having been said, I went and saw it at the local art house theather. I snuck in two beers and had a lovely time watching it, great fun, lousey for facts.

regardless, i found the argument compelling. and that was my point--the argument. A lot of people equate gun ownership with gun violence. and yet, compared to our northern neighbors, who have as much or more gun ownership, we have far more gun violence. So, apparently the argument can be made that there isn't a correllation or causation of gun ownership and gun violence, and that was my point.

i guess i didn't really need the movie to make that point, i just thought that it was interesting.

This is an interesting idea. I think about doing TT every once in a while, partially because I think it will give me a better understanding of things, and partially because I might want to do a class a week. That having been said I prefer to do ninja teaching, where I'm not pinned down to doing anything in partial.

I think that doing a teacher training for personal edification and growth--regardless of whether or not you teach--can be very beneficial. but, choose the teacher-training wisely based on what you want to learn.

The idea of the TT training being big money is interesting. I used to take them fairly seriously, and thought that they were more serious about their practices than the rest of us, but I'm starting to come out of that notion. What really indicates a dedicated yogi? Think I'll start another thread.

well, studios are businesses, and businesses need to make money to stay afloat. And, yoga studios now have a lot of competition. It used to be rare to find a yoga studio. In fact, in copenhagen, dk, i know of only two yoga studios, and both only offer 8-10 classes per week. that's how it used to be in the US, from what i can tell. But today, yoga is offered in gyms, wellness centers, Ys, college campuses, community colleges, etc. People can pay $50/mo for a gym membership that gives them weights, cardio, other classes, plus Yoga (often with the same teachers who teach in studios) every day, and that same $50 wouldn't give them 5 classes at the yoga studio--so why pay so much for atmosphere? (sometimes, i'm inclined to agree).

So, the studios have to find ways to bring in money. Special workshops with noteable teachers, teacher trainings, and other sorts of 'specials' that they can run are all ways of bringing in students who may not normally come to the studio (and maybe will come back if they'll come through the door once for a special event), which in turn increases the amount of money brought in over time. Also, the workshop itself may bring in more money for the studio, just for use of the space. The rent does need to be paid.

some studios do take their teacher trainings seriously, and i think that most teachers and teachers-in-training take the process seriously and have good intentions. But, i also know that they'll accept anyone just so that they can get the money--because they want to stay afloat. So, it's both-and.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-26 11:59 PM (#45073 - in reply to #45062)

zoebird - 2006-02-26 11:36 PM
regardless, i found the argument compelling. and that was my point--the argument. A lot of people equate gun ownership with gun violence. and yet, compared to our northern neighbors, who have as much or more gun ownership, we have far more gun violence. So, apparently the argument can be made that there isn't a correllation or causation of gun ownership and gun violence, and that was my point.

i guess i didn't really need the movie to make that point, i just thought that it was interesting.

I actually think there's some validity to the idea, but I kinda lost interest in it once I found out some of the other stuff that MM was involved in. Maybe I'm throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I do know that a lot of the stuff on TV is deeply emotionally manipulative, and a couple of the biggies are sex and fear. I also refuse to watch the local news for this reason. They always have a "Hard Hitting Impact Story" that's all about some sort of fear. (Being ripped off, attacked, etc)

I think that doing a teacher training for personal edification and growth--regardless of whether or not you teach--can be very beneficial. but, choose the teacher-training wisely based on what you want to learn.

Not a lot of choice here locally. I can go through the local studio, or get some training at the anusara studio across town.

some studios do take their teacher trainings seriously, and i think that most teachers and teachers-in-training take the process seriously and have good intentions. But, i also know that they'll accept anyone just so that they can get the money--because they want to stay afloat. So, it's both-and.

I think that's a good description, that both parties enter into the idea with the best of intentions, but the quality isn't as good as if they had higher standards.
Jump to page : < ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 9 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)