YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why did you start?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-12 7:14 PM (#46473)
Subject: Why did you start?

I'm kicking around the idea of teaching. I think it might be fun for a bit, but I really don't want to get tied down, and make that sort of commitment. Anyway, what made you decide that you should teach yoga?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-03-12 8:17 PM (#46476 - in reply to #46473)
Subject: RE: Why did you start?

Expert Yogi

I am one of those people who is always willing to share what I know. I have wanted to be a teacher since I was a little girl. Back those ancient times girls were still expected to get married and settle down - but if you did WANT to work, you could be (my mother told me) a nurse or a teacher. Never mind that one of her friends was a single mother ( ) who had gone to school and become a unionized meat cutter and made really good money - that was an exception. Anyway, I had already passed out a few times either from getting a shot or once, even watching the other kids as they came back into the room from getting theirs, so teaching seemed a better bet than nursing

I started taking classes and eventually one of my work friends started to come to class with me. Another work friend wanted to learn as well so I volunteered to lead a practice once a week after work so we could all practice together. Seeing as I knew more (not much!) I ended up teaching rather than practicing and when my yoga teacher heard that she suggested that I might actually want to start training formally. The rest, as they say, is history.

I wouldn't worry too much about being tied down, except, I suppose, for the training period. Once you have some sort of cert under your belt, you can do all kinds of cool things. Subbing for other teachers, moving to Asia and working in the snazzy new chain they are setting up out there, teaching privates in your living room, or not teach at all. There are lots of people out there who take TT just for their own learning.

Great thread - again
mishoga
Posted 2006-03-13 10:10 AM (#46496 - in reply to #46473)

Expert Yogi

I had been practicing yoga for a few years while teaching several modalities of fitness in gyms. Slowly I found that my fitness classes were becoming jaded. My enthusiasm for teaching high intensity classes was waning. I Started practicing yoga twice a week, then 3 times, then 4, and so one until I was practicing everyday for 3 hours a session.

At some point I just knew that I had to share my love of yoga. It had changed my life so profoundly and I knew that it could do the same for many others. I didn't feel I knew enough about yoga (which I still feel this way, but I am a student for life) to teach so I searched for a program that could meet my needs, especially one that would not take me away from my family for long periods of time. (I thank my husband and children for allowing me to pursue this path)

I don't know how or when exactly I knew I wanted to open others to yoga but it was a slow progression. It was something burning deep inside me. Not so much to be a leader, but to teach people how to heal themselves emotionally.

My motto with beginners is "Let me introduce you to yourself". If I can teach people to become more in touch with themselves physically and mentally, and to incorporate mindfulness into their daily life, I am happy. Nothing brings me more joy then to hear a student say they are feeling happier and healthier.

Mishy

Posted 2006-03-13 10:47 AM (#46500 - in reply to #46476)

tourist - 2006-03-12 8:17 PM
There are lots of people out there who take TT just for their own learning.

Do you have any more thoughts on this? (Or recall there being any old threads on it, couldn't find anything but it's sort of a tricky thing to search for.) One of my teachers has suggested I could teach, which I don't really think I have any interest in, but the training might be interesting if I found the right one for me. Has anyone else here done TT with no intention of teaching?

Posted 2006-03-13 11:21 AM (#46504 - in reply to #46473)

GJ:

I don't know how or why i thought i 'should' teach yoga. i remember taking yoga classes with my teacher, and really enjoying the classes and then the teacher suggesting to me that i should consider teaching.

for years while i did my apprenticeships and for probably the first 3-4 years of my teaching, i never felt confident enough in myself, like i was 'good enough' or 'knowledgeable enough' to be a teacher. And then something 'clicked' in the fourth year or so, and then i started teaching in earnest. And i also started directing my own teacher training--specifying based on my curiousities and interests, as well as what i was seeing as the needs of the clients that were being presented/given to me by the universe.

and so i teach.

Posted 2006-03-13 11:28 AM (#46505 - in reply to #46473)

i have been in TTs with people who do not want to teach, and i have also trained teachers who do not want to teach. It is perfectly valid to take the training for your own edification, but you definately have to find a school that suits you.

some trainings are focused predominently on getting you prepped for being in front of a class--you learn a sequence, the basics of alignment and modification, and how to run a class. this would not be great for someone looking for more information. Other teacher trainings focus more on teaching about the yoga, and 'mix in' how to teach (teaching methodology). There are many teacher trainings that go in depth into postures and modifications, philosophy, energy work/energy body, chanting or any number of elements--and it's great because you get more depth than in the regular hour to hour-and-a-half classes, and it really impacts your yoga practice deeply. IN these sorts of trainings, teaching methodology is generally secondary--or taught later in the series, and it's often mixed in anyway.

so, i would recommend these 'second' kind of teacher trainings if you're just looking for more depth.
tourist
Posted 2006-03-13 7:02 PM (#46542 - in reply to #46500)

Expert Yogi

aystam - One of our former members was a great, non-teaching teacher. I don't think there are any discussions here about it though, since she had been coaxed into a tiny bit of teaching by the time we found this site. You could look up posts by yogadancer - beware, she is blunt, but in a good way, IMHO. Great friend
Kym
Posted 2006-03-14 10:14 AM (#46598 - in reply to #46473)

I couldn't find a teacher like the ones who first taught me. So, I decided to teach and experience yoga the way I wanted to.

And, once again I'm in search of a yoga teacher. I keep doing drop-ins looking for that right person. So far, no luck.
tourist
Posted 2006-03-14 10:24 AM (#46599 - in reply to #46598)

Expert Yogi

Kym - are you going to more than one class with a teacher? Obviously some are just going to be completely wrong right from the get-go, but I would always want people to come to my classes at least a few times since I could be having a rough day or teaching something the person didn't like or do well or whatever that day. Just a thought.

couldn't find a teacher like the ones who first taught me. So, I decided to teach and experience yoga the way I wanted to.

Funny, I heard a writer say a similar thing once - she loved to read and couldn't find the sort of thing she wanted to read so she decided to write it herself Very sensible! I also like to teach because I want students to see that "normal" people can do this stuff, too. I am pretty unathletic and have that "If I can do this, I know you can do it too" attitude, which I hope is helpful to others.
YogaMommy
Posted 2006-03-14 11:14 AM (#46608 - in reply to #46473)

I took pre-natal yoga through all three of my pregnancies, and fell in love with yoga. From there, I started really getting into yoga, and just loved what it did for my mind and body.

I came into teaching mainly to teach pre-natal, and share my love of yoga. Since then, I've also come to have interest in teaching other "special" populations such as kids, mom & babies, and seniors.

From there, my interests have continued to grow, and now I'm taking a Childbirth Educators course and a Level 1 Ayurveda course. I'm also looking into Thai Massage and Yoga Therapy.

Carole
Kym
Posted 2006-03-14 3:15 PM (#46631 - in reply to #46473)

No, Tourist, I'm not. I'm hoping to get "wow"ed the first time I go. Partly b/c it's expensive to drop in, and partly b/c I really can't fit it into my schedule until the fall anyway. I am scouting around, keeping and open mind, and if I semi-click with someone, I'll come back in the fall. The last gal I went to was only about 20, had less training than me, and called her class Power Yoga, but I didn't agree (I was in the mood to get my heart rate going and feel the flow.) And, she was wearing these pajama type pants that were so thin I kept having to look at her blue underwear through them. Not very professional. :lol

I'd like to find someone with way more training & knowledge than me, someone who can facilitate my spiritual growth, and work on my asana practice as well. I want someone coming off the mat and adjusting.
tourist
Posted 2006-03-14 9:43 PM (#46641 - in reply to #46631)

Expert Yogi

Sounds like a good plan, Kym. So just a bit of window shopping and in the fall you'll actually go into the store

she was wearing these pajama type pants that were so thin I kept having to look at her blue underwear through them

I'd like to find someone with way more training & knowledge than me, someone who can facilitate my spiritual growth, and work on my asana practice as well. I want someone coming off the mat and adjusting.
You'll find that person, I'm sure. I keep reminding myself how lucky I am to have a community of talented teachers to work with. I am sure either I have really good karma or the gods figured I wasn't bright enough to find it on my own so they plunked me down smack in the middle of one of the biggest Iyengar communities in Canada so I wouldn't miss it

Posted 2006-03-15 7:03 AM (#46662 - in reply to #46542)

thanks for the tips

You could look up posts by yogadancer - beware, she is blunt, but in a good way, IMHO. Great friend

Didn't find anything on my topic, but yes she is. hee hee.
shnen
Posted 2006-03-15 8:13 AM (#46664 - in reply to #46473)

I had taken yoga as a student for many years... it really just dawned on me - i want to teach!

In my career I had always loved teaching people, helping them understand and guiding them. It was a new challenge for me - and i have a deep rooted passion for teaching, but also guiding and aiding those who want it, and, of course for yoga.

I don't see it as a commitment... I see it as a new life experience.

Posted 2006-03-15 4:12 PM (#46718 - in reply to #46598)

Kym - 2006-03-14 10:14 AM

I couldn't find a teacher like the ones who first taught me. So, I decided to teach and experience yoga the way I wanted to.

And, once again I'm in search of a yoga teacher. I keep doing drop-ins looking for that right person. So far, no luck.

times like this happen for me too. right now, my teachers are 'spread out' in NYC and the Hamptons--so i rarely get to see them. i occassionally take classes locally, but it's not the same.

there are times when you need a teacher, and times when it's good not to have a teacher so that you're on your own, learning what you need to learn in your own space. 'when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.'
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-16 11:02 PM (#46814 - in reply to #46473)

Lot of interesting replies.

I've been thinking about what exactly I was trying to deal with. I think it's a couple of things. First, to try and share some of the stuff I've learned over the years, much of which seems to be fairly esoteric. This makes it hard to have a conversation with your average person on the street. Second, to try an explore so of it with people who have enough understanding to point out the flaws, or misconceptions. In both cases I find myself coming back to this site, since it provides me with a group of like minded individuals to speak to.

I also might get to teach some yoga, my father pulled his back out a couple of days ago. I might try teaching him some of the simpler floor stuff, such as marichiasana A.
tourist
Posted 2006-03-17 10:12 AM (#46839 - in reply to #46814)

Expert Yogi

It is true that you need to create or find a community for yourself around whatever you do. I don't talk ballroom with most of my yoga friends, Cyndi probably doesn't talk bees around certain groups of her friends. Friends and family will tolerate a certain level of discussion but after awhile they zone out or think you are obsessed
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-17 10:50 AM (#46847 - in reply to #46839)

tourist - 2006-03-17 10:12 AM
Friends and family will tolerate a certain level of discussion but after awhile they zone out or think you are obsessed

I AM obsessed, but what else is new? There also has to be a certain level of knowledge before it's possible to have a conversation about certain things. I certainly don't expect to be able to discuss the more esoteric aspects of window programming here because most people don't know enough to even get beyond the basics.
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-03-17 11:07 AM (#46850 - in reply to #46473)

oh I'll talk, A.I, records and yoga to anyone who shows the slightest little bit of interest...hummm...not sure it's a smart move socially

Edited by DownwardDog 2006-03-17 11:07 AM
mishoga
Posted 2006-03-17 3:37 PM (#46871 - in reply to #46473)

Expert Yogi

Oh, I'm definitely obsessed with yoga. Everyone around me zones out. My brother-in-law asked if I was going to turn into a freak. Nice question???? I told him probably

Um, am I on topic?
Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-03-17 3:38 PM
lisan
Posted 2006-03-18 7:56 AM (#46901 - in reply to #46473)

Just thought I'd contribute a few words to this thread.

I began teaching because the teacher of the class I was taking - and loved - announced she was moving to California. She suggested to me, in a half serious tone, that I take over teaching the class. Before that, I had entertained the idea, now and then, of becoming a teacher, but this little remark from my teacher was the boost I needed! I began teacher training at the school my teacher "graduated" from and took over my teacher's class. Today I am teaching 5 classes per week, in two different locations, and love it. (I'm also a personal trainer who does yoga based training for private clients).

This is what got me started, but I guess it was in me all along to teach and it took my own teacher to point it out to me! I have a blog entry that goes in to more detail about why I teach, too. FYI.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)