YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Become a Bikram teacher?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yogawahine
Posted 2007-05-22 6:42 PM (#87026)
Subject: Become a Bikram teacher?

Hello!

I'm new to the forum and excited to find so many Bikram fans! I practiced Bikram several years ago off and on along with other forms of Hatha yoga, but in the last 7 mo. I've been dedicated to my Bikram practice (5-7x a week).

I've toyed with the idea of becoming a certified Bikram teacher (I love the idea of inspiring/helping people with their practice)-and I've recently had the opportunity to do so. I'm in a transitional point (having just graduated college and planning to move to Hawaii), and I learned there's an upcoming teacher training in Honolulu in September. My Bikram teachers were enthused by the idea, but I must admit I'm intimidated/terrified/intriguied by Mr. Bikram Choudhury!

I was hoping some teachers who have completed the training could let me know-will being only 22 work against me? I know there will be plenty of people who have practiced longer, so will my short time as a student hinder me? Did you have a studio you already planned on working for before certification? I'm just full of quesions (and enthusiasm) at the prospect of becomig a teacher. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for your time!
Miranda
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-22 10:26 PM (#87038 - in reply to #87026)
Subject: RE: Become a Bikram teacher?

Please list what things you hope to get out of any Teacher Training you wish to attend. Or, list the salient points which makes any style as your dedication.

yogawahine - 2007-05-22 6:42 PM

Hello!

I'm new to the forum and excited to find so many Bikram fans! I practiced Bikram several years ago off and on along with other forms of Hatha yoga, but in the last 7 mo. I've been dedicated to my Bikram practice (5-7x a week).

I've toyed with the idea of becoming a certified Bikram teacher (I love the idea of inspiring/helping people with their practice)-and I've recently had the opportunity to do so. I'm in a transitional point (having just graduated college and planning to move to Hawaii), and I learned there's an upcoming teacher training in Honolulu in September. My Bikram teachers were enthused by the idea, but I must admit I'm intimidated/terrified/intriguied by Mr. Bikram Choudhury!

I was hoping some teachers who have completed the training could let me know-will being only 22 work against me? I know there will be plenty of people who have practiced longer, so will my short time as a student hinder me? Did you have a studio you already planned on working for before certification? I'm just full of quesions (and enthusiasm) at the prospect of becomig a teacher. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for your time!
Miranda

Posted 2007-05-22 11:33 PM (#87044 - in reply to #87026)
Subject: RE: Become a Bikram teacher?

I don't believe Neel or I are Bikram practitioners. But I don't think that really matters.

Enthusiasm is a wonderful catalyst for moving toward a teacher training. Of course it is not the only requisite, assuming one believes there ARE requsites at all. Some may not.

I also don't think it matters too much if you've got a studio position planned or not. If you are deeply called to Instruct, if you are aware of and empowered by the responsibilities of teaching, if you are able to connect with your heart and teach (anything) from there, and you have the propensity to study, learn, and cultivate expert knowledge and the skills of teaching (looking and seeing, hearing and listening, pitch, pace, resonance, safety, break downs, build ups, time management, communication, and the commitment to continue learning yourself) then go and train to teach. The rest will take care of itself.

I would find it hard to do a training with someone around which I felt intimidated. If one is not able to process THAT it may hinder the learning process.

I think in the ideal petrie dish one spends a bit of time with their own yoga practice. If I had my path to do over I wish I had been advised to look around, test waters, and practice for several years consistently before even considering teaching. Twenty two is not a big issue when one is trained to teach (in the above mentioned skills, among others). It is the brevity of practice which can leave the student without enough asana in their own body. That brevity in their own body can inhibit the transition to teaching. It may not, of course. But it should be weighed both ways for you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)