YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Here - Bikram Beginner
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Jar
Posted 2008-04-16 8:29 PM (#106344 - in reply to #106327)
Subject: RE: New Here - Bikram Beginner

Regular

For those trying to give up coffee, try matcha tea. Not sure if your familiar with it, but its like a super concentrated green tea. 1 cup is equal to 10-20 cups of green tea. It has caffeine but the caffeine in green tea is different from coffee, its more like a slow timed release instead of an all at once hit. Many people report being able to quite coffee quite easily.

heres a link with one site listing all the supposed health benefits, but it is marketing so take it for what its worth http://www.zenmatchatea.com/Matcha-Health/Matcha-And-Health.aspx

I start every day with a cup or two. I buy online from a distributor in japan for a quality of product I have been unable to find in north america. http://www.hibiki-an.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
salsa girl
Posted 2008-04-16 9:29 PM (#106346 - in reply to #106313)

Orliaes - 2008-04-17 11:06 PM
Oh, and just for all you out there who can do it and like it -- I LOATHE CAMAL. As soon as I sit up in that position, I immediately get dizzy and nauseous. Blah!

Ha ha ..in class the other day the teacher (who was the studio owner), made the whole class say "I LOVE CAMEL" out loud!

Lisa
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-16 10:13 PM (#106353 - in reply to #106344)

Expert Yogi

Jar - 2008-04-16 8:29 PM

For those trying to give up coffee, try matcha tea. Not sure if your familiar with it, but its like a super concentrated green tea. 1 cup is equal to 10-20 cups of green tea. It has caffeine but the caffeine in green tea is different from coffee, its more like a slow timed release instead of an all at once hit. Many people report being able to quite coffee quite easily.

Yes, and all those ANTI-OXIDANTS that are in it too. Great stuff.

I had to quit coffee many years ago due to Kidney issues. I had no problems with weaning myself off. It also helped since my TCMD provided these wonderful herbs that supported my liver and kidneys while I was going through all that. Later on, like several years later, I added an occasional expresso or coffee cup, but I'm finicky when it comes to coffee. Things such as where it comes from, how it's grown, etc. I keep some Jittery Joe's coffee and expresso on hand at all times for my "pleasure" cup every now and again. But, my every day habit is green tea, barley or chai. However, it's kinda fun to get that jolt from expresso...especially when your on the road, travelling....or when in Rome, hahahaha. In Italy, I was very bad and drank alot of expresso. It was like instant speed. I haven't found anything that compares to it here in the states...yet,

Speaking of coffee......I'll tell ya'll a funny story. Well, it wasn't so funny while it was happening, but...we bought these Pocket Coffee things which are basically chocolates filled with expresso. It's for people when out and about and can't get their coffee fix. I thought it was no big deal and was just a candy that tasted like coffee. WRONG. My daughter, after we had just come back from drinking our expresso for the day, decided to eat 2 of them. One slowly at a time. She claimed they were very tasty. Well, soon after, she puked all night long and into the next day. Everything in her stomach came out. It was not fun for her and it really screwed up her stomach - not to mention we were in Italy and it set us back on sight seeing. In fact, her stomach has not been the same since and she's really had a slow recovery. We laugh about it now because she realized how stupid she was. But who would of thought??? Those Italians take their expresso very seriously. Those pocket coffee's have a strong caffeine content. It was wild. I still have a 5-pack for a souvenier. I still haven't got the courage to eat one yet, Maybe one day...who knows.
Ram
Posted 2008-04-17 12:28 PM (#106375 - in reply to #106264)

Some very nice debate about fasting, toxins and Ayurveda. Cyndi that was some good stuff. I too have been practising Ayurveda for 4 years. I DONT recommend you read one book on it and try practising it on your body. I have been under the care of an Ayurvedic physician from India for 4 years. He comes from India a couple of times a year and visits various U.S. cities.

Since seeing him I realize I was doing a lot wrong by practising through reading a couple of books. Its like trying to practise medicine on yourself. One important thing that stood out for me when I first saw him was he told me it's not as important to try to catagorize yourself into one of the three doshas: Vata, Pitta and Kapha. The important thing to do is treat your imbalance. Mine was far too much Pitta. And from my own reading I thought I was purly a Vatta. Its a fantastic "science" because it works on your own individual constitution through diet, exercise and herbs.

AS far as coffee is concerned some people are very sensitive to it. If your having trouble sleeping one cup of coffee may be too much. It may have that big of an impact on your body type. One way to buffer the toxins of coffee is to add cardomen to it.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-17 1:06 PM (#106381 - in reply to #106375)

Expert Yogi

Ram - 2008-04-17 12:28 PM

Some very nice debate about fasting, toxins and Ayurveda. Cyndi that was some good stuff. I too have been practising Ayurveda for 4 years. I DONT recommend you read one book on it and try practising it on your body. I have been under the care of an Ayurvedic physician from India for 4 years. He comes from India a couple of times a year and visits various U.S. cities.

Hey Ram,

I too have consulted with 2 different Ayurvedic doctors. The good news is that they both were right on target regarding my body's constitution. I got the same diagnosis and treatment. It really compliments Traditional Chinese Medicine, which is where my background lies.

Since seeing him I realize I was doing a lot wrong by practising through reading a couple of books. Its like trying to practise medicine on yourself. One important thing that stood out for me when I first saw him was he told me it's not as important to try to catagorize yourself into one of the three doshas: Vata, Pitta and Kapha. The important thing to do is treat your imbalance. Mine was far too much Pitta. And from my own reading I thought I was purly a Vatta. Its a fantastic "science" because it works on your own individual constitution through diet, exercise and herbs.

Well, I think once you are educated enough, you can treat minor and sometimes major symptoms. My chinese doctor and I have this type of relationship. When I am in doubt, of course, I always check in with him first. I remember my very first chinese doctor. I used to call her several times a week over what looking back now, would be very silly and oh, my worried little mind back then, She was so sweet and patient to put up with all my questioning. I still have all my notes too!! So funny.

One way to buffer the toxins of coffee is to add cardomen to it.

That's interesting. Why Cardamom?? Never heard of it associated with coffee like that. I know its used in Chai, kheer and sweet things...it's good with ladoo. My husband makes this Nepali Chai using the black and green pods, which is very different in flavor.
Ram
Posted 2008-04-18 12:21 PM (#106417 - in reply to #106264)

The beauty of Ayerveda is it teaches you to be responsible for your health and body.

Cyndi as for the Cardomen(spelling?), my good knowledgable yogi friend in Hawaii told me that. I trust his knowledge but have no other evidence to back that up.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)