YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Overcrowded Class Rant
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Geo Girl
Posted 2005-01-11 6:50 PM (#14716 - in reply to #14702)
Subject: RE: Overcrowded Class Rant

Brian,

So, you are a tardy person?

Do you have a spiel about people being respectful of others' practice for final Savasana? Or, is it not a problem at your studio?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-01-11 8:06 PM (#14726 - in reply to #14691)

Expert Yogi

fifi - as a teacher, I like everyone to be there and seated by the time the clock hits the hour. If someone is a couple of minutes late, I am ok with that since we usually talk a bit with announcements etc. Someone who is habitually late is looking for some kind of attention, I think, but I have not had to yell at anyone so far! I have one student who I will allow to come even 20 minutes or more late for a 90 min class because she needs it soooo badly. But I want to talk to her about priorities and setting boundaries sometime soon. She has a very demanding job and gets grabbed as she is leaving the workplace and kept late very frequently. I wonder if she goes late to doctor's appointments and stuff like that. She should consider her yoga class at least as important as that and "just say no!" to the folks at work. IMHO.

I try hard to never be late and very rarely get there late myself, If I do I creep in quietly. I do not leave early except in VERY rare circumstances and hate missing savasana. I can't imagine people wanting to miss it ! I may not feel the effects or benefits of it some days, but it is like every other asana - there are benefits whether you feel them or not. We have to trust our teachers and gurus that have done the work before us on this!

yogabrian
Posted 2005-01-11 8:37 PM (#14728 - in reply to #14579)

Tardy? Me??!?! Never. I personally used to show up for my teachers classes (both Yoga and Kung fu) at least 25-30 min early. Now I practice on my own and it is hard to be late to your own practice. I just never really bothered me when people show up late. Don't get me wrong I don't encourage it, and people leaving early in savasana has never been a problem at my studio or gym classes. I have on occasion given student a sharp tounge when they show up after the cut off point and will not let them join class. But, I rarely have to do it. Most people know the rules because I try to be fairly clear with the from the moment they walk in.

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-01-11 9:47 PM (#14734 - in reply to #14728)

Expert Yogi

I've heard of businesses that will fine people for being late
to meetings: $1/minute for every person present. So if
you are ten minutes late and ten people are there, you are
out $100. That kind of makes a point about the monetary
value of time. I will admit that I have never experienced this
sort of thing, and it seems so expensive that it's hard to
believe it's real.

I'd just go back to the question of disruption. It's not appropriate
to disrupt a teacher's effort to teach, nor is it appropriate to prevent
other people from learning by interrupting in one way or another.
I don't know that it's really that big a deal to tip toe in or out from the
perspective of bugging other students, but it does say something about
the value you place on the teaching.

On that last point, I think that teachers need to be pretty flexible,
as Tourist seems to be with her overworked student. If the class is
just leading people through a set and often repeated pattern, then
the student is not really missing out on the "teaching" by cutting out
early from time to time. If each class is handcarved, then it's a lot
less respectful not to absorb the whole class....you could draw a parallel
to sitting through a lecture, where walking out is usually a statement
that you think the lecture's a waste of your time (and if you need to
go early, you tell the lecturer or the yoga teacher before class starts).

I find Savasana useful. I like to work to exhaustion when I practice,
and if I do, the rest feels good. But I also like to clear my mind progressively
when I practice, and if I've succeeded, then I'm emptied of emotions and filled
of peace when I get there. That is often the primary goal of my asana practice.
Geo Girl
Posted 2005-01-11 11:01 PM (#14736 - in reply to #14734)

tourist -- Usually, those kinds of jobs just won't take no for an answer. Sux, but true. On the other hand, some people can't say no and better run to a bikram class!!! Lest they be late!

I bet that student really benefits from the practice and needs a nice, long final Savasana.

bay guy -- I have often heard Camel referred to as the King of the series, but to me, it's a really good final Savasana, letting all the benefits of your practice sink in. Almost sounds erotic.
yogi-boy
Posted 2005-02-11 12:53 PM (#16622 - in reply to #14579)

Take it up with yr teacher to enforce etiquette.

I get livid when people interupt my classes (as a student), especially when in relaxation or meditation.

If I'm late I usually wait for a appropriate time to enter. Or if I wish to leave early, I do so silently but extend my apologies to the teacher in advance. I even tell people to WAIT!

Alternatively, when I teach, latecomers know they wait until it is apropriate to enter my class, or else I recite my yoga etiquette speach- without mentioning any names of cource.

I had a student who ranted that she paid to attend classes and was missing out- Hello, everyone else in the class pays too but are they expected to "miss out" their time due to her tardiness. My favourite yoga teacher was quiet a dragon lady- literally told people out loud not to come if they are going to come late, sometimes telling them not to enter the class at all after it had begun.

I figure if interupters of silence don't respect my space, They cannot expect tolerance on my side.

You don't need that disrespect in a yoga class.

Fortunately, I build up a good rapport with my class, especially the regulars, so they know I'm strict out of consideration for their benefit. I'd also rather have a small, but dedicated class that a larger herd of ingrates.

I don't mind latecomers who wait until a relaxation is over before they enter, I don't mind people leaving early. I also always stress that if you stay for the meditation you stay until its over. If you really get bored with yrself and cannot focus then close yr eyes and think of England, prepare a grocery list, etc, anything but get up and leave.

Think of it as a service to instill a sense of discipline in those wayward yogis!

Edited by yogi-boy 2005-02-11 12:55 PM
gogirl58
Posted 2005-02-11 4:32 PM (#16643 - in reply to #14579)

Extreme Veteran

I never thought about this too much. When I have come ot class late, usually during the beginning breathing, the teacher has always motioned for me to come in. I have only left early once or twice. i do however sometimes have to answer my beeper ( I put in on vibrate) and
I asked my teacher about this today, because I have been sensitized by this discussion. He
was fine with my having my beeper on vibrate. I think everyone is different and communication of expectations is key
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)