YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teacher's Emotional Release
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Jambo
Posted 2006-03-10 11:54 PM (#46412 - in reply to #46229)
Subject: RE: Teacher's Emotional Release

GJ> If the Chinese had not conquered Tibet, he would not be roaming the earth. I have no idea how well Tibetian Buddhism was thriving before the invasion, but these days everybody's heard of HHDL, and Tibetian Buddhism is particaly a household term.

You may have a point: If Germany had not conquered most of Europe, New York would not have become the capital of the Art World (a lot of the important artists fleeing from Europe to the New York to escape the Nazis). If Japan had not attacked the USA, the country would still be a back-water military nation that it was before all that. If blacks weren’t repressed, we would never have heard of Martin Luther King or his message in the US and South Africa. If India wasn’t colonized, Gandhi might never have seen the light of day and Dr. King might have to used a different reference. If the original people of the Americas were not exposed to the invasion by the Spaniards, then I wouldn’t be eating my taco or drinking a Margarita today. If it wasn't for too many of those Margarita's, I might never have thought of doing Yoga on that particular day when I had too many and was thinking of all this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-11 9:02 AM (#46418 - in reply to #46409)
Subject: RE: Teacher's Emotional Releas

Expert Yogi

oops, double post. BTW, this forum is acting really screwy lately. My original post had some of my sentences missing. When I browsed back I found my original post with everything in order. I resent it and it was there like it was suppose to be. So wierd.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-03-11 9:07 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-11 9:04 AM (#46419 - in reply to #46409)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-03-10 10:47 PM

I see similar things in the work of HH Dalia Lama. If the Chinese had not conquered Tibet, he would not be roaming the earth. I have no idea how well Tibetian Buddhism was thriving before the invasion, but these days everybody's heard of HHDL, and Tibetian Buddhism is particaly a household term.

One of my very good Tibetan friends' parents fled Tibet during the Chinese Invasion. Did you know that outsiders were turned away and not allowed to visit certain places in Tibet? Sometimes they would kill you over this. The movie "Seven Years in Tibet" only shows a small portion of what life was really like in Tibet. Also, there is much karma going on between the Tibetans and Chinese. A long time ago, Tibetans were very mean to Chinese people, they tortured and abused the Chinese. The Chinese were very afraid of Tibetans. Then Padmasambava, the enlightened Master came to Tibet and brought Buddhism to them. The Tibetans still had their karma to deal with where the Chinese were concerned (not that it is right what the Chinese have done), its just the way it is and how it all evolved. Kinda like us here in America and what we were talking about on that other thread. So many other decisions could of been made by the Chinese where the Tibetans are concerned. In fact, it didn't have to go that far and so much suffering has taken place...way too much. The Tibetans have lost their culture and it really sucks. Tibetans are incredible people. Although, back then, as far as I'm concerned, they all acted like animals, instead of humans the way they treated each other!! Once decisions are made, its too late to undo it, the damage is done. That is why here on earth today, we are in such a critical state as far as our mere survival goes. We are running out of water, we are running out of free open space, there is no more new frontier and what will be left for the future?? Will yoga be enough to make the drastic changes that need to take place, like Now? It will be interesting for sure.

As far as "saving the world", I don't believe that the world needs to be saved. I don't really see that it is my mission to bring "yoga" to America. What I do believe is that if we ALL practiced the way we should and the way our guru's taught us, the world potentially has a chance to be a better place. If I can assist, of course I will, but, it is not my mission. I personally feel that Yoga and the sacredness of it, should be kept sacred, not exposed and exploited, therefore to be manipulated into society the way only a certain few feel that's the way things should be. It won't be an easy task to bring yoga to the west because of the stigma that surrounds it, that in itself will be a challenge to overcome. I'm not sure I can fit the task, but my life isn't over yet either. Anyway, I do feel that certain karma needs to be allowed to work itself out without too much interference. Guidance, compassion and more objectivity, less judgement and less competing with each other is what we need most. Humans evolve and grow when they know they have the freedom to do so, not when they feel they are being forced into it whether it be by popular demand, or trendy and fashionable, whatever. I always felt I was part of the "clean up crew", someone to be there to help pick up the pieces for the less fortunate and the ones who are really down and out. Freedom is so important. In fact, every culture has a mission to remain free, not that all are, but it is the most important factor of all, living on this earth.

Anyway, ya'll have a good weekend. I'm going hiking again.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-03-11 9:09 AM
Jambo
Posted 2006-03-11 3:14 PM (#46429 - in reply to #46229)

Cyndi - Too interesting about Tibet. I heard things about some of the former Dalia Lamas that made me wonder about the Wisdom of that whole bunch. I happen to think that the current one has a lot to offer the world. If nothing else, you have to like his smile. But who knows, I’ve been feeling kind of surly about Gurus in general lately.

Edited by Jambo 2006-03-11 3:19 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-12 3:37 PM (#46459 - in reply to #46229)

Joe- I'm not a big fan of guru worship either. There seems to be a strong under current of it in the yoga/hindu culture, which I'm not entirely comfortable with. On the one hand, it's much easier to learn things from other people, teachers can be invaluable in this regard. On the other hand, most people I know are flawed, so I expect a teacher to be the same way. Supposedly this is not the case with enlightened gurus, but I'll believe it when I see it.
tourist
Posted 2006-03-12 4:16 PM (#46466 - in reply to #46459)

Expert Yogi

There is that step between respect and even a certain amount of reverence to real worship that most westerners don't like to take. I think it is a healthy dose of scepticism. WE have seen too many who are willing to be led anywhere, any way, with such sad results.
Ravi
Posted 2006-03-13 4:21 AM (#46483 - in reply to #46229)

Buddha encouraged scrutiny.....................
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)