YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question 2: Standing H to K
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

delania
Posted 2008-04-26 7:51 AM (#106674)
Subject: Question 2: Standing H to K

Okay, so this is actually the most frustrating posture in the world for me. Standing Head to Knee. Why is it that I can lock my knee in the other standing postures, but not this one?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-26 8:23 PM (#106698 - in reply to #106674)
Subject: RE: Question 2: Standing H to K

Expert Yogi

Well, I don't lock my knee and I can do this posture. Try doing it on a straight leg instead,
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-04-26 11:13 PM (#106701 - in reply to #106674)
Subject: RE: Question 2: Standing H to

Here's another example where there may be confusion about what it means to "lock the knee." Cindy, could you describe in more detail what you mean by keeping a straight leg without locking the knee? Are you engaging your quads to lift up the kneecap? What sort of tension is there in your calf?

Duffy

Posted 2008-04-27 1:57 AM (#106704 - in reply to #106674)

Locked knee in Bikram = straight leg, with the thigh muscles contracted so the kneecap lifts up, so you see a dimple in the thigh right above your knee.

Standing head to knee is HARD! You're leaning forward. You're standing on one leg. You have to hold it for a MINUTE, as opposed to 10 seconds in balancing stick or the limit of your balancing time in standing bow. It's the first posture on one leg with the knee straight. Etc. etc. So be patient with this one!! It is, as Bikram says, "a toughie."

It will get easier!! To build the strength you need, make sure you are "locking the knees" (as described above) in the postures leading up to head to knee; the thigh muscles should be tight throughout pranayama breathing and half moon, which should be HARD WORK! There is also a LOT of technique to this posture, which you can slowly learn by paying very careful attention to the instructions.

Do bear in mind, however, that this posture is difficult BY DESIGN. Bikram says that the knee is the weakest link in the human body; knees are tricky joints and are very hard to control. So the idea is that total control over the knees is incredibly difficult to achieve, but once you've mastered that, you can do ANYTHING else that you want. So don't feel discouraged or frustrated by how discouraged and frustrated you feel in this posture - it means you are working the right way!!
delania
Posted 2008-04-28 10:27 AM (#106740 - in reply to #106674)

Thanks for all of your advice. I have already learned the proper way to "lock the knee" it just seems harder in this position. Patience is a virtue, and one I struggle to master.
Rant
Posted 2008-04-29 1:29 PM (#106762 - in reply to #106674)

Just this morning our intructor commented on this posture and spent some time with it. He claims very few experieced students get this one correct and that he has never seen a new person just walk in and nail it. It takes a lot of focus and determination. "Lock the knee" has really received a bad rap.
lifeisgood
Posted 2008-05-07 6:25 PM (#107148 - in reply to #106674)

Yeah, I agree with everyone else that Standing head to knee is really hard! For the first three months of yoga, I struggled mightily in this posture because I could never get my leg up parallel to the floor. Then, one day it was like boom my leg was parallel! It was so exciting anyways, I can get my leg parallel and my elbows down, and I can touch my head to my shin fine. But the knee... bam I fall out. Oh well... it'll come......
salsa girl
Posted 2008-05-08 3:13 AM (#107160 - in reply to #107148)

lifeisgood - 2008-05-09 9:25 AM

anyways, I can get my leg parallel and my elbows down, and I can touch my head to my shin fine. But the knee... bam I fall out. Oh well... it'll come......

It sounds like you are saying that you kick out without your standing leg locked, is that right? If it is, that alarms me, as you should not be kicking out unless your standing leg is "a concrete lamp post".

If I have misunderstood your post, I apologise

Lisa
hnia
Posted 2008-05-08 8:47 AM (#107166 - in reply to #106704)

You make me wanna do this posture.

Thanks...
lifeisgood
Posted 2008-05-09 10:39 PM (#107218 - in reply to #107160)

salsa girl - 2008-05-08 3:13 AM

lifeisgood - 2008-05-09 9:25 AM

anyways, I can get my leg parallel and my elbows down, and I can touch my head to my shin fine. But the knee... bam I fall out. Oh well... it'll come......

It sounds like you are saying that you kick out without your standing leg locked, is that right? If it is, that alarms me, as you should not be kicking out unless your standing leg is "a concrete lamp post".

If I have misunderstood your post, I apologise

Lisa

My post was probably slightly ambiguous. When I referred to "the knee...fall out" was, when I put my forehead to my knee in the very last step, I often lose my balance and fall out. In my practice, both the standing and the parallel leg are locked. I am now mainly working on being able to still keep everything strong and balanced even when I change my gaze and tuck my forehead onto my knee.

Posted 2008-05-11 4:16 PM (#107257 - in reply to #106674)

Lifeisgood: I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. The good news is that it's just a phase. (Yay!!) I was actually thinking a lot this week about the balance in the final stage of head to knee (both holding the position, which I've pretty much got under control, and coming out SLOWLY with total control, which I can only do sometimes. Getting much better tho!!)

For me, it was really useful to recognize that this last step is a TOTAL mind game. Think about your body position in the third stage compared to the final stage - it's basically the same. All you have to do is bring your head down and round your spine a little bit more. So physically there is NO reason that you can't finish the posture. It's just an exercise in concentration to hold your position while you move your eyes and your head.

Usually when you fall out of this part it's because you get a little freaked out or distracted by moving your head and you forget to KICK KICK KICK. The KICK is definitely the key. Don't think "oh sh*t here we go I'm gonna fall again", just think "KICK KICK KICK." It will make you SO stable that eventually you can stay there for as long as you want.

There are also a lot of technical details that get more important as you get more advanced in the posture. I'm sure you know most of these but they're always good to check in on. So make sure your weight is forward on your toes and your hip is forward (this is why you KICK KICK KICK), make sure your elbows are hugging tight to your leg, your stomach is pulled in HARD, your wrists are straight, your kicking leg is right in front of your hip (that is my big one - my leg always drifts to the side when i loose focus and then I fall), your extended foot is perfectly vertical and not tilted off to the side (another big one for me)... and obviously you are LOCKING BOTH KNEES. Oh - and make sure you have a point to look at when you move your eyes. Eventually you want to look at your belly button, but until then, the big toe of your standing foot makes an excellent focus point. As you can see, it's not a very complicated posture.

So in summary - there are a lot of technical details, but the main thing is to remember that it's just an exercise in concentration, and that a good thing to concentrate on is the KICK.
Andre
Posted 2008-05-11 11:37 PM (#107266 - in reply to #106674)

Extreme Veteran

I'm not huge on the mirrors. And I haven't kicked in a couple of years due to lower back issues, and a lack of regularity. But I recently had a mini break through in Standing Head to Knee. It's one of those cases where it's been said all along in the dialogue: focus on the standing leg knee. That one external focal point really helps. I remember when I finally tried toe stand, and then I suddenly heard focus one point 4' on the floor in front of you. Bam. That really makes the difference. For me anyway. We'll see on Standing Head to Knee. It's still not always attainable depending on how my back is doing.
Roy Batty
Posted 2008-05-12 6:45 PM (#107284 - in reply to #106674)

Regular

Dancing, great post! I'm sure you have heard your teachers say in class that Triangle is the "main-event" and the master pose to the standing series, but I personally think that H2K merits consideration. It is the one pose in the series that Bikram himself considers "advanced" (in fact it used to be that kicking out was the only requierment to gain entry into the "advanced Series" that has changed in recent years) and the posture is placed in the begining series more for mental reasons than physical. You really can tell the practitioner that has focus by how he/she approaches this pose and by that I don't mean whether they kick or not. A person holding the first position can be burning a hole through the mirror with their gaze and I've seen other practitioners gifted with a natural abiltity in this pose kick out but get virtually nothing from it by not really working the contractions in the pose (standing leg, STOMACH, kicking leg). I had injured myslef numerous times by not really squeezing my belly in. I reached a point where I swore that I would never kick again as I would (every two months or so) would kick my right leg out and slip my sacrum out--very painful and requiered lots of ice and chiropractic treatments (lucky we have a good one who has his office right below us and practices as well ) not to mention setbacks in my daily life.

Anyway, one day I got it through my thick skull that maybe I have to create a tighter belly lock and not kick but really, really, really suck that gut in. I did 73 straight practices without kicking. Then I began to kick in the second set and now am kicking both sets and feeling that one posture permeate through my entire practice.

I am fond of saying, "Don't expect the yoga to get easier for you. Instead you get at ease in your yoga." I was not taking my own advice and blaming that posture for my woes. A different shift in attitude yielded postive results and I rejoice in th fact that there is a posture that is just so freakin' hard for me to do It truly is a posture that can help you deal with the aggravation that life sometimes throws our way.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-05-12 9:51 PM (#107290 - in reply to #106674)

73 straight sessions without kicking? The fact by itself isn't that amazing to me. What's amazing to me is that you know the number. How do you keep track? Was it something peculiar to SHtK, or do you have similar knowledge about other poses?

On another point, there are several poses where they tell us to kick. Standing HtK, Standing Bow Pulling, Floor Bow are three that come to mind. It's not been very clear to me what they mean by kicking in any of these (thought standing bow makes some sense to me). For example when they say to kick up in floor bow, I'm just not sure what I should be doing.

Duffy
Roy Batty
Posted 2008-05-13 5:22 AM (#107294 - in reply to #106674)

Regular

Hi Duffy,

I keep a journal. That's how I know how many classes. I don't get that detailed about most of the postures but sometimes I really try to track what works and what doesn't.

As for floor bow, the idea is to use the strength in your hips and legs to drive the posture. The spinal muscles have done the majority of the work in the three postures preceding fl. Bow and now the kicking helps flush the spinal muscles and spinal colum with fresh blood flow in addition to "tying up the upper, middle and lower spine." Kickingup is also the best way to get you to roll forward toward the lower ribs so that you are eventually off your thighs, creating a deeper compression of the spine, opening of the chest and massaging of the abdominal organs. BTW it's real important that your grip be right below the toes and not toward the ankles, htis will help you to roll more forward as you kick up.
Andre
Posted 2008-05-13 1:32 PM (#107306 - in reply to #106674)

Extreme Veteran

Interesting, Roy. Thanks for sharing. I've only recently began to kick again, after close to two years. My lower back is really weak. I have hurt it in a few postures. Plus, I had gone to Bikram's infrequently. I remember a few years ago feeling strong in my belly, and really working on that. Hmm. I'm going to have to return to that outlook.
Chatoyancy
Posted 2008-05-13 4:12 PM (#107310 - in reply to #106674)

I believe what it means to "kick" in a posture is to use your leg or back strength (depending on the posture) in order to go further in the pose, rather than hauling on your leg with your arm strength. Your hands are on your feet for guidance purposes, not to get your feet higher into the air.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-05-13 4:57 PM (#107313 - in reply to #106674)

Roy:

Even though I still can't say that I completely understand it, today I tried concentrating on what I remembered from your post. After the first set of floor bow, the teacher said that my bow was greatly improved, and that its really exciting to see that kind of advancement. So, in some sense, I must have understood what you said, and I'm grateful for your comments.

Thanks,

Duffy

BTW, I should have figured that a journal was involved. I don't keep one, and I doubt that I would focus on that sort of detail even if I did. But maybe I should.
Nick
Posted 2008-05-13 5:41 PM (#107315 - in reply to #107313)

Hi there,
I don't understand 'kicking' either-what does this involve in this posture-remember I'm an outsider

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-14 12:50 PM (#107331 - in reply to #107294)

Expert Yogi

Edited by Cyndi 2008-05-14 12:51 PM
Roy Batty
Posted 2008-05-14 2:51 PM (#107335 - in reply to #106674)

Regular

Hi Nick, the kicking refers to extension of the heel toward the mirror from a chambered position. First the practitioner engages the abdominals, "locks" the standing leg and then picks the foot up. This is the first position of Standing Head to Knee pose. This first place is a great place to hang out as long as neccessary. Eventually when the practitioner can maintain the locked standing leg and a good tight belly, you then slowly and gently extend the lifted leg toward the mirror while flexing the toes toward the face so that the kicking leg heel is the closest thing to the mirror. The practitioner should never snap or jerk the leg forward and that I suppose is misleading about the action to "kick" since it suggests a ballistic movement. This should never be so. From my experience, in addition to keeping the standing leg locked and guts tight, I have to be careful to not let my kicking leg hip swing backward wich contributes to me twisting my sacrum and causing me such aggravation. The second stage of the posture involves keeping the arms straight until the kicking leg is as locked as the standing leg (in other words maximum contraction of both quadriceps muscles). This over time will create an interesting convergence of energy from the locked belly and locked legs. From here, the person can enter stage three which is to bend the arms till the elbows cradle below the calf muscle. It's at this stage that you have to watch letting the pose diffuse so that the lower back does not strain. In my case, left side is no problem but am very, very slowly working the right side to stage three on a limited basis. Stage four is to bring the forhead with rounded spine (creating the first front side compression in the series) to the knee. It's important here to watch that that kicking hip doesn't sway back. Dancing hit the nail on the head when talking about the gaze point for this: the eyes shift from standing knee in the mirror to standing big toe to the navel. Finally, the rarely seen stage five is to release the hands from the kicking leg-foot. This requires supreme engagment of uddiyana though we don't use that term in addition to the locked legs. Stage five is the ultimate ideal although ideals are great to aspire to but not neccessarily achieved . I can expound further Nick if you like although I am certainly not you with the anatomical perspective

Dre, sounds like you are in the same boat with me, an interesting relationship with pose for years. Really take your time coming back to kicking. Sometimes I think we a re ready for breakthroughs after we may have given a pose up for lost. Like I said earlier, I focused on making my belly feel like I could repel bullets before kicking again and I spent quite a while getting there. I also feel that with all this hard work I'm getting to an overtrained feeeling so I'm about ready to take some rest. It's important for me to not journey into obbsession--easier said than done LOL. What other postures hurt your back? Perhaps I have similar experience there as well.

Chatoyancy, that's spot on about kicking. Duffy, glad that permeated for you a bit.

~RB
Nick
Posted 2008-05-14 5:43 PM (#107340 - in reply to #107335)

Hi Roy,
Thanks for clearing that up!

Nick

Posted 2008-05-14 10:48 PM (#107349 - in reply to #106674)

Ok I have to jump back in on the topic of "kicking" in the second part of H2K...

Kicking doesn't just mean extending your leg. It means you should be using your strength to actively push your heel towards the mirror. I like to imagine that if there were a wall 2 or 3 inches in front of the heel of my lifted leg, I would be trying to press my heel forward to touch that wall. And it's not just an abstract idea - when you first do this correctly, your heel probably WILL move closer to the mirror by a few inches.

The reason for this has to do with alignment, mainly in the hips. When you kick forward like this with your right leg, your right hip will move forward so that it's even with the left hip. Notice that Bikram doesn't give you ANY instructions on what to do with your hips in this posture, but if you kick the mirror like he tells you to, your hips will automatically fall into the correct position. Your weight will also come forward into the ball of your standing foot, instead of sinking back in the heel. This will ultimately make it a LOT easier to balance in the posture.

So that's the setup for parts 3 and 4 (and 5!!). Once I get all that set up, another image I have sometimes is that there is a slot right in front of me that I'm pressing my foot into, so it can't move side to side or up and down but it is always moving forward. That is like the capstone of the posture - if you have that piece locked in, it will keep everything else stable. Imagine doing the posture with a friend holding your kicking foot - it would be no problem! That's the kind of stability that you want to create on your OWN, through the kicking.

If you get a cramp on the top of your right thigh when you kick out on the first side, it means you are doing it right!

Posted 2008-05-14 10:51 PM (#107351 - in reply to #106674)

By the way Roy, thanks for the great posts!! And how are YOU doing with stage 5?
Andre
Posted 2008-05-15 12:57 AM (#107357 - in reply to #106674)

Extreme Veteran

I'm enjoying Roy and Nick's posts recently. Thanks, guys!

Roy: Dre, sounds like you are in the same boat with me, an interesting relationship with pose for years. Really take your time coming back to kicking. Sometimes I think we a re ready for breakthroughs after we may have given a pose up for lost.

I've had lower back issues for 15 years. It's going to be years on some of these postures. But that suits my meticulous nature.

Focus on making your belly feel like it can repel bullets before kicking.

This is outstanding. I'm taking this, and I'm not even asking. I love it too much to risk your saying, "No, you can't use it." This will be in my own modified version of the dialogue, when/if I ever teach. That's great.

I also feel that with all this hard work I'm getting to an overtrained feeeling so I'm about ready to take some rest. It's important for me to not journey into obbsession--easier said than done LOL. What other postures hurt your back? Perhaps I have similar experience there as well.

The first year (going 4-5 times a week) I could really push myself, I needed to. At about 18 months though, I think I plateaued and I started hurting myself. I've hurt my back in Standing Head to Knee, Balancing Stick and the back bend in Half Moon. With Half Moon, I had recently made a break through, and it was incredible. I was traveling, and at a different studio, and slammed myself into it. Two days later, at hoops, it just went out. I don't blame hoops, but the cufking ego that wanted to do a good back bend in a different studio. With Balancing Stick or Standing Head to Knee... it's just when my back tenses. I've learned when to back off now. But with the push, push, push inherent in Bikram's and the fact that I ran out of the desire to punish myself, I did have to find a new balance.

I think I've arrived somewhat. I don't feel the need to go every day. I shoot for every other day. But depending on schedules, I'll go two days in a row, and then off two days, and then every other day. This is really helping. I'm listening to my body now. I think it was all the emotions and crap and junk that was stored in the body that allowed me to go, 4-5 days in a row. Now, I don't need that any more. It's a good place to be.

Not sure if that's a similar experience. But thought I'd share. I've appreciated your perspective.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)