YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My skin is freaking out!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-08 10:59 PM (#55264 - in reply to #55236)
Subject: RE: My skin is freaking out!

Onion5 - 2006-06-08 4:22 PM

kulkarnn - 2006-06-07 8:13 PM

Onion5 - 2006-06-07 5:26 PM

Too bad those activities compound ankle, knee, and hip injuries I already have

===> Well, in that case you must NOT be hot temperature at all. You should be only in a mild warm temperature. And, to repeat what I said, you must NOT use room temperature as a part of your sweating mechanism or sweating desire. And, you must NOT be in a group Class at all where all persons are doing the same exercise. In other words, you must be either in a) a group class with Individualized Attention and Individualized Exericses. OR b) in a private class.

Wow, that's so weird since since starting Bikram every single ache and pain from injury or otherwise has greatly subsided.
===> That is called as Symptomatic effect. Every single pain and pain can also subside from taking a pain killer, or taking a strong alcohol, or by applying cold (opposite of hot!) ice to the part under pain or by having anesthesia (wrong spelling). That does not prove that it is correct.

It's my impression that you are not an advocate of Bikram,
===> I am not enemy of him either. To make it very simple for you, to understand my opinion, I have no major problems with Bikram including making money except Heating the Room.

perhaps because you have your own version to market.
===> My version can not be compared with Bikram because I do not have the same objective. It shall be like comparing oranges with apples. You can see the elements of my instruction and whiever else you want to compare by a) comparing our websites b) comparing the actual classes c) comparing the topics instructed d) comparing backgrounds. AND, not comparing or taking into account marketing strategies.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and to do the exercise that makes them feel the best.
===> Yes, of course. But, everyone is also entitled to give their opinon even if it does not make the other person feel better, especially when a question is asked on a bulletin board. In other words, when a question is asked on a bulletin board, the questioners should expect all kinds of answers. And, of course, then make their own decision.

I used to love to run, however, it seemed to compress every single joint in my body. I'm sure I would like all yoga, but why change when I absolutely love Bikram.
===> Please do not misunderstand me. Think that we are only discussing. If you were with me, I would have offered you a hot coffee while discussing. Or even hot room if you prefered it only for a short while during discussion. You used to love running, of course because you loved something out of it, such as a feeling afterwards. But, you do not love it now due to whatever reason, for example compressing every single joint. In the same way, you may love Bikram, because it feels good. But, it also heats the room. So, one day, when you realize the bad effect of heat, you can still do Bikram but without heat.

Turns out skin problem was short lived, so perhaps it wasn't the heat at all.

===> I wish you never get the skin problem again. But, my response to your original question remains the same.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
laylie99
Posted 2006-06-09 3:58 PM (#55344 - in reply to #55203)

tourist - 2006-06-08 7:08 AM

What Neel is saying is that he does not believe in using an artificially heated room for yoga and that we should get away from the idea that all sweat is good. I live not too far from Bellingham and I believe it is best ot live within the (delightful!) climatic conditions we happen to find ourselves in. Yes, heat the room in the winter, but the only way I would want tropical conditions to practice in, is if I went to the tropics. But that is just me

I get what you're saying. I agree that not all sweat is good.

It's funny how we each can have such diverse preferences. I don't consider our climate here in the pacific NW to be delightful at all. With the exception of July and August, of course. I'm uncomfortably cold almost all of the time. Especially when the wind makes it rain sideways.

I love tropical conditions, be it practicing yoga, or just in general. Then again, my background is Persian, so maybe my body craves the heat of a desert climate.

tourist
Posted 2006-06-09 4:20 PM (#55348 - in reply to #55344)

Expert Yogi

layie - I always thought I was biologically meant to live here. Even the long, grey winters don't bother me much, though I confess I do like a little sunshine from time to time. Must be the Scottish/Welsh in me
johnb838
Posted 2006-06-12 5:39 PM (#55609 - in reply to #54994)

Uh-oh. This is happening to me too. Just one splotch but it's been bugging the heck out of me.
johnb838
Posted 2006-06-12 5:44 PM (#55610 - in reply to #55135)

Hmmm.... I live in a tropical climate AND I'm doing Bikram every day. Could be something to this. This is why an astringent is helpful for acne. I'm going to try some alcohol.
johnb838
Posted 2006-06-12 5:52 PM (#55612 - in reply to #55344)

The way I look at it is, if we were practicing in India, we would be practicing in Hot Room.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-12 10:40 PM (#55626 - in reply to #55612)

johnb838 - 2006-06-12 5:52 PM

The way I look at it is, if we were practicing in India, we would be practicing in Hot Room.

===> Wrong. If you go to North India, winters are very cold. I saw snowfall in Delhi two years ago. And, you need heated rooms in Himalayas in Summer and in Winter Himalayas are totally closed. All temples are closed too. To tell you an example: While Closing the famous Temple of Badrikedar, an enormous amount of cooked food is kept inside the temple as an offering and after the entire winter, that food is later eaten after months and it is fresh. That cold. And, the part of India which is HOT is in Open Air, it is NOT a big room. The heated room can be compared with a hot spa.

tourist
Posted 2006-06-13 10:28 AM (#55679 - in reply to #55626)

Expert Yogi

Thanks for that, Neel. Some of the countries of the world are soooooo big we can't and mustn't generalize about the weather there or anything else. Saying "India is hot" is like saying "Canada is cold." Simply not true! Interesting that you don't hear those kinds of weather generalizations about the US since Minnesota is colder in winter than almost any populated place in the world and you can fry eggs on sidewalks in a good many places in the US during the summer
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-13 10:40 AM (#55684 - in reply to #55679)

Expert Yogi

This reminds me of my husband's life in Nepal. He's so funny when it snows here in the mountains. He will rush home from ATL just to be here. When he was in Nepal he grew up seeing snow on the Himalyas all his life....but, he never got to feel it and have it fall in front of him. It doesn't snow in Nepal...only in the Himalyas. They have winters there but it is so mild. Although, they do have monsoons where it rains fish from the sky.

Now, my friend who is from Middle Eastern India, SW of Calcutta, says it is soooo HOT there, that the earth is cracked and it is brutal. Perhaps that is where you should go to do Bikram Hot Yoga.

You haven't lived till you've spent a summer in the deep south....that's where you can fry eggs all day and NIGHT long on the sidewalks, the bugs from the swamps are gigantic and it's the home for fire ants and frying catfish.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-13 10:50 AM (#55685 - in reply to #55684)

Expert Yogi

It runs close to 45 C (113 or so F?) in the Pune/Mumbai area in May. None of my teachers go to India then (the Institute closes for May anyway, I am told) or the months around it. EEEsh! I'd rather go to Scotland or somewhere else soggy and drafty
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-13 11:23 PM (#55754 - in reply to #55679)

tourist - 2006-06-13 10:28 AM

Thanks for that, Neel. Some of the countries of the world are soooooo big we can't and mustn't generalize about the weather there or anything else. Saying "India is hot" is like saying "Canada is cold." Simply not true! Interesting that you don't hear those kinds of weather generalizations about the US since Minnesota is colder in winter than almost any populated place in the world and you can fry eggs on sidewalks in a good many places in the US during the summer

Dear Sister Tourist: I read this posting from you and was going to tell you something about Calcutta and then I saw the Cyndiben's comment on Calcutta just below your posting. Interesting. Anyway, what I was going to say was: I have lived in Calcutta area for 7 years continuously. And,

in winter it is quite cold and you need woolen dress to feel normal. And, to tell you the truth, they do NOT heat the rooms, and they do NOT do Yoga in heated room!!!
tourist
Posted 2006-06-13 11:39 PM (#55760 - in reply to #55754)

Expert Yogi

People have funny ideas about countries and weather, don't they? I have a friend who works in Africa and everyone assumes it is hot there all the time, too. Sure it gets hot, but it gets cold, too. And as you say, most people don't have heat for their houses in the cold or air conditioning when it is hot. We are very spoiled (or lucky, depending on how you look at it) here in North America!

envgeo
Posted 2007-01-04 10:55 PM (#72932 - in reply to #55135)

trikotripod - 2006-06-07 5:40 PM

Skin problems are my specialty mostly because I have very sensitive skin and have to put extra effort into keeping it healthy. I'm pretty sure those little tiny bumps are caused by the heat and humidity causing your skin to swell ever so slightly. That slight swelling will close off the pores. If your sweat and sebum production is high at the same time as the swelling then voila, you will get that bumpy skin. This is actually a very mild, non-inflammatory form of acne. The red parts of your skin is caused by the clogged bumps becoming very slightly inflammed. Many people will break out in tropical climates (which Bikram artificially produces) if they aren't adapted to it. In Chinese medicine, your condition is known as damp-heat. You might want to look that up.

I recently started Bikram and about 3 weeks into the class I have developed a itchy red, slightly painful breakout of pimples/bumps on my beard and chest. The doctor's initial diagnosis is folliculitis, which can be caused by hot humid climate closing the hair follicales such that they clog and become inflamed. unfortunately, his prescription was to forego Bikram a week or so until it calms down. I was really starting to enjoy the classes.

p.s. I have a sensitive beard and occasionally get bumps from shaving, but this is more severe.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)