YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Defending Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Posted 2006-05-11 12:26 AM (#52046 - in reply to #51910)
Subject: RE: Defending Bikram

gig - 2006-05-09 8:20 PM

you guys seem to turn so negative so fast

its not so much that we turn so negative so fast.
its just that we were negative to begin with
as you said, you had been reading the posts about bikram yoga previously, so you must have gotten some sort of feeling for the variety of opinions.
and bottom line, bikram yoga is just a hot topic in the yoga community right now.

i have come to realize that being so staunchly opposed and critical is niether helpful nor becoming of my character. being a smarta$$ certainly doesn't win me any brownie points, either...

i would like to comment, though, that persons coming to bikram yoga with a decent amount of yoga experience would probably benefit much more than those whose first experience is bikram yoga (which constitute the majority in my experience). with the knowledge to fill in the holes of bikram yoga (alignment, philosophy), i imagine the bikram series would stand up to most of my criticism.
makes me curious to take a class...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-11 9:23 AM (#52077 - in reply to #52043)

yogabrian - 2006-05-10 11:57 PM
The part I do not agree with is the fourth part of his copyright.

In essense it would give Bikram the right to sue ANYONE who teaches anything similar. This is absurd. I teach a system that stems from the same orginal sequence as Bikram's (the 84 classic asanas) I was trained by someone who trained with Bikram 25 years ago. Should I not teach just because there are similar poses in my series?

I think not. This would give Bikram too much cart blanche and not allow people to leave his orginization if the want.

In the end it seems that those who don't want to be a part of Bikram simply can't call their yoga system Bikram yoga or be a yoga college. Seem fair enough.

BTW: sorry for grammar, it has been a LONG day

This litigiousness that you touch on is the reason that the open source movement against Bikram started.

Stating that their case presented is weak is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Harassment of yoga studios by Bikram, or his lawyers, should not be considered acceptable behavior, even in a capitalist system.

I agree with your three points about his copyright.

I'm confident that when Bikram dies, so will his name, and history will not look favorably upon his legacy.

SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-11 10:57 AM (#52093 - in reply to #52015)

http://www.economist.com/people/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2765973

http://www.motherjones.com/news/dispatch/2005/03/Money_Pose.html

here are the two articles about Bikram I've read that are not on his website, although i have read what is on his website and even then do not come to any different conclusions than that of these two articles
yogabrian
Posted 2006-05-11 2:36 PM (#52135 - in reply to #51861)

SCThornley,

This litigiousness that you touch on is the reason that the open source movement against Bikram started.

True enough. However the Open Source Unity was an organization that where clearly, having issues with Bikram and not willing to simply change a pose or two and call their yoga something else.

Having seen the cease and desist order, while I personally think it is BS. They WERE voilating the rules of Bikrams org. They were given the opportunity to change their studio names, change their series a bit or simply not use Bikrams name. None of them wanted to do it.

There are others like my teacher who changed his series up and does not call his yoga Bikram yoga because it is not 26 poses in the order that Bikram put together. To this date Tony Sanchez to my knowledge has never received a cease and desist order from Bikram. Nor has Peri Nas.

In the same way, the yoga I teach is a little different from my teachers Yoga Challenge series. I have changed things a little and do not call my system the Yoga Challenge.

Stating that their case presented is weak is a matter of opinion, not fact.

I disagree. If their case had been strong they would have won. Once again having seen the courts documents (try a google search or search of the archives here) They chose to attack the first 3 parts of his copyright rather then the last part. Yet another reason why I never supported them.

Harassment of yoga studios by Bikram, or his lawyers, should not be considered acceptable behavior, even in a capitalist system.

Agreed. The business of yoga is really catty and actually kind of dirty. It is cut throat and people will sue over the smallest things. No branch of yoga is exempt from having dirty laundry. Bikram dirty laundry just has been aired out in the press.

I really want to write book one day called Yoga Confidential that will detail all the seedy parts of the yoga business in the US. I think it will best seller. Of course everyone in the book more then likely sue me for damages!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-11 3:13 PM (#52137 - in reply to #51861)

yes sir,

you'd know better than me,

i'm actually appalled at the totality of the situation, but then i've never been "in the business"
tsurfs
Posted 2006-06-08 10:38 PM (#55259 - in reply to #52038)

Exactly.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-06-08 11:17 PM (#55267 - in reply to #55259)

tsurfs - 2006-06-08 10:38 PM

Exactly.

Wow dude, talk about a zombie thread. You bring something back from the dead with a single word that doesn't appear to apply to anything. WTF?

(zombie_thread.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments zombie_thread.jpg (5KB - 57 downloads)
tourist
Posted 2006-06-09 10:23 AM (#55303 - in reply to #55267)

Expert Yogi

GJ - it appears that the Bikram thing and the Dahn thing go in cycles that perhaps correspond with some astro-physical events or maybe something to do with numerology. I dunno. It just seems to be that every now and then, they heat up ( pun not initially intended...) and go crazy for a little while then stop.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-06-09 11:40 AM (#55314 - in reply to #51861)

In the case of Dahn, I think we're getting a have nice case of sock puppet theater. Tsurfs hasn't done anything useful on this board so far, so I'm thinking it might be similar, or maybe the same puppet master.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-09 3:33 PM (#55336 - in reply to #55314)

Expert Yogi

Since the subject has been broached - I wonder if we should just dump the whole Dahn thing. Have we discussed this before? If find it tiresome and repetitive and. although I argued int he past to keep it as a public service, it is getting on my nerves. Whaddya think?
GreenJello
Posted 2006-06-09 5:35 PM (#55359 - in reply to #51861)

I am throughly sick of the subject, but I also don't have to read those threads. They all have Dahn something in thier title, so I say let them be.
tsurfs
Posted 2006-06-28 10:04 PM (#57092 - in reply to #55267)

A Fish Rots From The Head Down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home > Management > A Fish Rots From The Head Down
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author:
By Rick Crandall, Ph.D.

Publishing date: Apr 14, 2003 15:19

You may have heard the expression that a fish rots from the head down. The top leader's job is to create the right internal climate for the organization. Organizational climate embodies the intangible feelings your people have about your organization. Research going back more than 30 years shows that you can measure a wide variety of attitudes of your workers, from job overload, to job satisfaction, to teamwork orientation. This area could be more accurately thought of as psychological climate since it really refers to the attitudes and psychology of the people in your company.

A Fish Rots From The Head Down

You may have heard the expression that a fish rots from the head down. The top leader's job is to create the right internal climate for the organization. Organizational climate embodies the intangible feelings your people have about your organization. Research going back more than 30 years shows that you can measure a wide variety of attitudes of your workers, from job overload, to job satisfaction, to teamwork orientation. This area could be more accurately thought of as psychological climate since it really refers to the attitudes and psychology of the people in your company.

Tale of two cities

My company deals with two post offices located in adjacent towns. In one, most clerks are rather cool. As a large customer, we are often treated as an annoyance, someone who generates extra work. The staff at the other post office makes us feel special because we are a bigger customer. They have bent over backwards to get us refunds and help us save money. Even the clerks at the window are friendlier.

I have met the postmaster at the "sour" branch. He's demanding and aggressive, and has employees intimidated and defensive. One of his chief underlings is a bureaucrat who is more concerned with following the lines in the manual than with serving customers in line.

Perhaps this sort of behavior is to be expected from a monopoly, but here are two offices within a few miles of each other which are far apart in terms of customer service. I think it is very clear that the difference starts at the top.

It's your responsibility

You can't directly control the attitudes of everyone under you. But if you accept the fact that you are responsible, regardless, then you can focus on creating a desirable organizational climate.

When specific programs like TQM or customer service work, it's because your people buy into them and actually have a change of heart. Simply doing the technicalities of a specific program is not enough to change attitudes or hearts!

Too many leaders abdicate their responsibility for morale within their companies. You probably didn't grow up wanting to be a therapist, yet you control much of the psychological climate within your company. Good morale is contagious. Bad morale spreads even faster!

It's not appropriate to yell and intimidate. You need to work with your people in an atmosphere of respect. Your job is to support them in doing their jobs, which ultimately serves customers. You can't change all the external issues that create stress. But your people will appreciate being heard, respected, and involved, and will respond to your efforts to improve things.

How to change your organizational climate

Many organizational change initiatives start with employee input. If you haven't done an anonymous survey, with results fed back as group data to each unit, then you are not serious about managing your organizational climate. It's easy for top bosses to feel that everything is just fine, because smart "underlings" keep their heads--and their complaints--down. Most leaders, like Peter Holt, are shocked when direct feedback from people who report to them totally contradicts their image of their own style. And you are in for equal shocks at how departments feel about each other and the company.

Selling the new climate

In order to sell a new organizational climate, you have to repeat the same message over and over. As the late management guru Edward Deming did with TQM, you have to hit the same points for years to build credibility. One slip back to the Bobby Knight style can subvert years of effort on your part unless you sincerely ask forgiveness.

If you want to change the minds and hearts of the people under you, you have to care about them--and show you mean it. If you don't, you're dead in the water in today's competitive climate.

About the author: Dr. Crandall has consulted and written on marketing since 1981. He writes a monthly column on marketing for the Executive Edge newsletter and is the author of the new book Marketing Your Services: For People Who Hate to Sell.

tsurfs
Posted 2006-06-28 10:09 PM (#57093 - in reply to #55267)

Exactly
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-29 8:25 AM (#57112 - in reply to #57093)

Expert Yogi

I just don't get it....this post.

and....I don't think I even want too!!

Edited by Cyndi 2006-06-29 8:25 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread