YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bhujapidasana - me bad.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Vinnyasa
Posted 2006-05-26 10:49 AM (#54002)
Subject: Bhujapidasana - me bad.

Do any of you experts here have any tips for this asana?

I can get into the first part of the pose with legs squeezing upper arms and feet crossed in front and I kinda hover there like a flying saucer running out of gas. I can usually avoid crashing backwards onto my butt at this point thankfully.

I also can kind of lean forward but really all that's happening is me scrunching up my body and putting my head on the floor - there's nothing else really happening and certainly the feet aren't going back and through.

I have a secret plan to lose another 10 lbs and get 10% stronger and see if that helps, but in the meantime any technique hints would be appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2006-05-26 11:21 AM (#54015 - in reply to #54002)
Subject: RE: Bhujapidasana - me bad.

Hi Vinayasa,
A hard pose! Apart from a few obvious things, like you mentioned, get stronger and be at your ideal body weigth are both enormous advantages!
here's a few points to protect and promote you:
1) When we are too weak to have good posture within the pose, the shoulders are pushed forwards by the weight of the legs and body-this also gives more strain on the wrists as the hands are extended. Try to pull your hips forwards through your arms and push your shoulders away from being rounded.
2) Pulling your hips through your arms will straighten your spine and allow you to breathe more deeply, which will also bouy up good posture and help push the legs back.
3) As the hips pull forwards, you should instantly experience strong bandha, as they contract to help stiffen the body.
4) the above make bhujapid a good posture for learning the jump throughs, as the above are all a feature of that movement.
Hope that helps,
Nick
caffeine14
Posted 2006-05-28 9:23 PM (#54175 - in reply to #54002)

Hi Vinyasa,
I agree with everything's that's been said, but one key technique that has helped me get to this pose well is to keep my bum high. Once you 'squat low', while mounting your knees on your arms , the bum's low and heavy and will mean that lifting your ankles up will be difficult. From Downdog, jump near your arms. You can try the Ashtanga version of mounting your knees almost within your armpits, or the sivananda version of just placing knees gently behind the forearms. be conscious of keeping the bum high here and DO NOT LOOK DOWN. Look at a point forward, say about 1 - 1/2 ft away . This will keep your head up, bum high and contract your mula banddha. get one knee up... and then get both knees up. Once you have them up, even just for 2-3 breaths, work on getting your big toes together, and then your ankles together. once the feet are fully parallel to one another, ankles together, you can work on the strength to ju7mp back from here. Took me about 5 months to do this, but wow, the feeling is so light! Now am working on jumoing from downdog, straight onto my arms. Accck! Hope this helps!
Vinnyasa
Posted 2006-06-01 12:52 AM (#54421 - in reply to #54002)

Thanks much for taking time to respond - I guess I keep thinking that I've been working on this pose for 6 weeks and I should be perfect by now! So much for instant gratification.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)