YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RSD and Bikram - Advice?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

laylie99
Posted 2007-01-26 6:42 PM (#75379)
Subject: RSD and Bikram - Advice?

My mom is going to try to attend her first class this weekend and I could use some advice!

She is 59, and had a knee replacement 3 years ago, and as a result, suffers from a nerve disorder (RSD - Reflex Sympathetic Dystophy or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) that leaves her in constant, nagging pain. She's tried almost everything: PT, Manipulations, accupuncture, you name it, she's tried it... the current solution is a variety of pain killers including oxycodone, that have less than desirable side-effects.

At this point she is willing to try anything (she hates the drugs) and I've been suggesting Bikram yoga for a year now - she's finally decided on her own that she is ready!

We're not practicing at my regular studio, because she lives 2 hours away. The instructor at that studio is already aware of her issues, and didn't seem very concerned, and just told her it might be uncomfortable (duh!)

Has anyone had experience with this or known someone with this type of constant pain who does Bikram? Is there anything I should do (aside from explaining what to expect) to help her?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
*Fifi*
Posted 2007-01-26 6:51 PM (#75383 - in reply to #75379)
Subject: RE: RSD and Bikram - Advice?

I've had experience treating RSD with acupuncture, which is usually successful when RSD is in either the first or second stage. I'm a big fan of yoga as physical therapy. My only recommendation about Bikram is for your mom to be careful of the extreme ranges of motion. There is also restorative yoga and Iyengar Yoga (which Tourist can offer more insight) that may be options for your mom.

I'd be interested in how she does after a few months of regular yoga practice. I think that's great. Good luck to her!
tourist
Posted 2007-01-27 10:03 AM (#75417 - in reply to #75383)

Expert Yogi

For some people, the heat of Bikram is the best thing ever for pain. The only way she'll know is to try it. I would have concerns about her knee and some of the poses (fixed firm, especially) but I always have those concerns
laylie99
Posted 2007-01-30 8:03 PM (#75796 - in reply to #75383)

Thought I'd post an update - thank you both for responding so quickly! My mom read your posts before we went to her first class, and it put her mind at ease a little bit more.

Mom had her first class on Saturday, I went along. The studio closest to her is a "Hot Yoga" studio, which concerned me, but I was happy to learn that there are 2 certified Bikram instructors that teach daily. They told her not to take any pain medication before class.

Over all, she had a great first class. Some poses in the standing series were just out of the question (fixed firm, standing head to knee, standing separate leg stretching, tree pose) because of her lack of mobility in the "bad" knee - (she can barely bend it to 90degrees) But the instructor gave her so much 1-on-1 attention, that she presented an alternative to nearly every pose my mom couldn't do.

She did have problems with kneeling as well, which took fixed firm, camel, and rabbit out of the equation for the time being... but small steps are good!
Her pain was moderate, she said, but no worse than when she takes a short walk. She also loves the heat... which didn't surprise me, as she grew up in Tehran.

She has been 3 times since, and bought 1 month unlimited - all on her own!
I am so proud!!

I can't tell you how many people discouraged her from trying Bikram. Which was so incredibly
frustrating for me. I'd say maybe 4 or 5 people told her horror stories. Only ONE had ever been inside a Bikram studio. Good thing she has such an open mind!

I'll keep you posted!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)