YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

30-day Review
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

MichaelJ
Posted 2005-03-09 2:49 PM (#18583)
Subject: 30-day Review

Here’s a few admittedly unsolicited comments on my experience with bikram yoga after the first 30 days:

The staff was very nice, and the facility was overall pretty good, but the men’s room/locker room/shower room was way too small and inadequate. If Bikram has millions of dollars, it would be nice to support his studios with improved space.

I had 5 different teachers in 8 classes. In my opinion, the good ones were completely hamstrung by the rigid nature of the class in their ability to provide much of any sort of good instruction or personal attention. The not so good ones, which I took to be less experienced, didn’t even try. The worst merely recited the litany as fast as possible it seemed like, while looking off toward the corner somewhere. The best would get out in the room and try to adjust people, and even occasionally demonstrate a posture. Most in between just stood on the podium, recited the litany, and occasionally called out to someone. Overall, I found the teacher aspect very disappointing. I really do not understand how a beginner is expected to figure out how to do these things by listening to a description – a demonstration would seem to be so simple, but they rarely did that. They don’t schedule the teachers either, so I can’t go to the ones I like and avoid the ones I don’t. That’s a serious drawback. And the repetitive litany thing is already on my nerves – I can’t imagine listening to/doing that for years.

The room is too hot. I think ‘warm yoga’ would be great; but this was just too hot.

However I really liked the extreme sweat. That was a great feeling to be able to just get in there in a pair of shorts and let it all out.

Fixed firm became one of my best postures – I could just about go to sleep there. I also can do eagle really well (though I can’t figure out what it’s for). I totally hate locust pose and thought I’d suffocate with my face smashed in the carpet. I’m not strong enough for a good triangle, but am improving. Savasana didn’t bother me but I did tend to get bored with the repetition toward the end of class. I really want to be able to do a good standing bow; some of the people that could do it well looked beautiful. I also really liked the half tortoise, which seems like a great oblation pose to me.

I feel better mentally and physically than when I started class, so I am certain there are clear benefits.

Bottom line, bikram for me is a great step forward in getting into yoga, but I’m not going to commit to it further right now. I want to look around and try something different, but plan on going back as a walk-in whenever I feel like having an all out sweat event.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-03-09 3:23 PM (#18586 - in reply to #18583)
Subject: RE: 30-day Review

Great objective recitation Mike. Several of us got into yoga via Bikram. Let us know what's next.
Cheers!
MrD
Posted 2005-03-10 1:15 AM (#18626 - in reply to #18583)

Well Michael you answered one of my questions. How in the world does someone who has no idea of yoga poses learn in a Bikram class? I know that there are several prominent ways of learning: Visual, Auditory, and Kinescetic (doing it physically) Bikram is clearly a strong auditory learner and works really for those who learn by listening. That's not my style. If I just hear something it goes over my head. I need to see it before I understand it. For me learning at Bikram would have been difficult.

I also have trouble when the routine is always the same (regardless of style). Variety makes it fun.

But I just as strongly cannot deny how Bikram has actually helped my body heal. I had some tight hamstrings that wouldn't release for months until Bikram. I credit both the heat and the sequence for the benefit.

But like you, Bikram will be occassional rather than a mainstay.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-10 10:41 AM (#18661 - in reply to #18626)

Expert Yogi

Mr D - learning style is a really good point! I think I would do fine with the auditory but I know many folks who would not have a clue how to start without seeing a visual as well. There was a boy in my kid's swim club years ago who just couldn't improve his swim times and the coach was trying everything he knew to get some technique points across to him. He finally gave the boy a book that explained the points and he finally got it! We have to honour our own learning process and style. Thanks for reminding us of that!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)