YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

me too...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yogajoe
Posted 2007-06-10 11:01 PM (#89132)
Subject: me too...

Hi All,

I just found this thread because I too just experienced the ammonia smell problem in yoga. I don't practice Bikrams, I practice Ashtanga but today was crowded and hot, and I'm a big time sweater. I was soaked by the end of class. About 3/4 through I began smelling this really strong ammonia smell coming from myself.

I've read the entire thread and considered the usual suspects: liver disfunction, protien metabolism, muscle fatigue and bacteria in my clothing.

I've ruled out bacteria in my clothing because I also smelled the odor when I urinated after my practice today. I've ruled out muscle fatigue because my muscles were no more fatigued than usual and I practice 5 days a week.

So I'm left with liver issues or protien metabolism issues. I'm getting ready to travel to India (to study yoga) for a year and am a vegetarian. I'm very lean and 6 weeks ago was weighing in just under 150 and I'm 6 feet tall. People were saying "dude, you look too thin".

Since I'm going on this trip I decided it might be good to fatten up a little bit so I've been on a little icecream binge, I've been eating eggs and I've even eaten bacon a few times. (I know bad choice but its sooo **** good)

Anyway, my point is that I changed my diet quite a bit. What's interesting though is that I've NEVER smelled this smell before and I take hot classes and sweat profusely.

Last night I ate some yogurt really late ( I was hungry ).

I've also had some emotional stuff going on that could have effected my liver.

Anyway it's interesting. I guess the main thing I wanted to contribute was the fact that my urine also smelled of ammonia after practice.

I'd also love to hear any input anyone has on any thing I've said.
Thanks - Namaste
yogajoe
Top of the page Bottom of the page
marcia
Posted 2007-06-15 4:12 PM (#89528 - in reply to #89132)
Subject: RE: me too...

This was one of my questions as well....the instructor I asked said that I shouldn't be experiencing this because I go everyday. I only wish I were so pure! ha. I will get this every now and then. The one pose that it happens in or starts in is standing separate leg head to knee pose. It's very strong and happens when my forehead reaches my knee and my throat is choked. It actually hasn't happened in a while. It kinda tripped me out at first because I didn't know what the hell it was and I started sniffing around in and out of poses and I figured out it had to be me. I thought it may be my diet although I haven't kept a diary of what I have eaten from day to day I figured it had to be something I had "indulged" in the day before. I don't mind a little amonia once in a while, I just love the thought of balancing out my thyroid and all the other organs in my body!!
mia1181
Posted 2007-06-15 4:38 PM (#89529 - in reply to #89132)

Oh I have smelled this too! I smelled what I thought was cat pee twice, but I didn't the think it was me because I don't have a cat and it didn't seem that strong. I wonder if it could have been me though. It wasn't the whole class either, it must have been just a certain pose.
chrissie
Posted 2007-06-15 6:56 PM (#89532 - in reply to #89132)

i've experienced this, too. i practice 5 days a week and thought it was my clothes. i usually buy new bikram outfits every three months or so. also, i've noticed that my sweat puddles on some occassions are sticky, or a little different. don't really know what that means either. but i have to say, i've been practicing for over a year now, i've taken 225 classes so far and my skin is like baby's skin and my hair is so shiny. all from the sweating during class..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)