YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lock the knee!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

johnb838
Posted 2006-06-20 3:45 PM (#56325 - in reply to #56090)
Subject: RE: Lock the knee!

Bikram sometimes advises bouncing to get into a posture, such as a thigh parallel to the floor in Trikonasana. I understood bouncing to be ballistic and not good for joints and ligaments, so I try not to do it, or at the least to do it controlled, slowly, and carefully.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnb838
Posted 2006-06-20 3:48 PM (#56326 - in reply to #56232)

I sort of feel that hearing the dialogue every time affirms the benefits to my body and reinforces the benefits.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-20 8:58 PM (#56349 - in reply to #56326)

Expert Yogi

Why do they say "dialogue"? Is it not a monologue or do you folks get to talk back?
Nick
Posted 2006-06-21 2:40 AM (#56369 - in reply to #56349)

Hi Glenda,
I have a theory as to why the instruction to lock the knee is prevalent-It's not just in Bikram yoga, but in every form of yoga that I have done or read about.
I did an in-depth post on this a few days ago, but I posted it and the site crashed, so I left in disgust, I'll try and have another go.
The instruction to lock the knee is often accompanied by the instruction to contract quadriceps, or sometimes more specifically, vastus medialis. My theory is that a yoga teacher whose anatomical knowledge is meagre would read in a textbook that the action of quadriceps is to extend the knee-this description only gives a partial account of the function of quadriceps. Most textbooks will only give the action of a muscle in a open kinetic chain (the foot is free to move). This is how chiros and physios test a muscle's function-an open kinetic chain allows them to isolate a muscle and find out whether it is strong or weak, long or tight.
As an example, this means that I can test your biceps by getting you to pull your hand to your shoulder, with me holding onto your wrist and providing resistance. I can test your quads by getting you to bend your knee and then holding your ankle to provide resistance as you try to straighten your leg. So because an open kinetic chain allows us to isolate a muscle, this is the description given in books.
But in life, things get much more complicated! In yoga, for example, the instruction to lock the knee by activating vastus muscles is done with the foot on the ground-this is a closed kinetic chain-the foot does not move, and our muscle's actions serve to change the position of our body parts in space. In the closed kinetic chain the function of muscles completely changes-the hamstrings for instance, can serve to straighten the knee, and the quadriceps can serve to slow down the bending of the knee. But the closed kinetic chain does not allow us to isolate a muscle's function-in a pull-up for example, is it the latissimus dorsi which is weak, or the biceps-weakness in either would affect our ability to pull ourselves up.
When a teacher tells their student to lock their knee, they may be helping some students, but there will also be some whose knee health is ruined by this action-the quadriceps introduce huge shear forces when activated strongly-this is one reason why seated leg extensions have been dispensed with as a means of knee rehabilitation. Better instead to strengthen the knee with the foot on the ground, and to remember that the vastus is by no means the only important muscle crossing the knee-we didn't develop massive hamstrings just for show, or in order to stretch them in yoga postures
I think another reason that the instruction to tighten the quads is used is that there is a phenomenon called reciprocal inhibition-when you tighten muscles on one side of a joint, the muscles on the other side are inhibited-this allows us to move. So if you tighten the quads, you will be able to stretch the hamstrings, or part of them (when we think we are stretching a muscle, we may actually be stretching something else-there have been lots of new insights into what constitutes muscle stretch recently-we may not be doing as much muscle stretching as we think by practicing yoga!).
Take care
Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-06-21 10:08 AM (#56394 - in reply to #56369)

Expert Yogi

Oh Nick - I find these long anatomy lectures tough to read first thing in the morning!

Bascially you are reiterating that "lock the knee" is not a good instruction. We agree.
njguy
Posted 2006-06-21 11:47 AM (#56409 - in reply to #55968)

Tourist:
(that's funny) No, we don't get to talk back in Bikram classes. Chitter-chatter is discouraged. Sometimes I utter a "thanks" if a teacher provides a correction to my position.

As for "locking the knee", I have had some teachers explain it in more depth; they said tighten the quads to lift the knee cap, and not to hyperextend the leg.

I have also had a Kripalu teacher state specifically to keep the leg "soft", i.e., very slightly bent.

I think it really depends on the specific needs of the practitioner.

tourist
Posted 2006-06-21 7:26 PM (#56459 - in reply to #56409)

Expert Yogi

NJ- welcome. We've had some American Iyengar teachers come to our studio who were completely taken aback by everyone saying "thank you" when they are adjusted. One of them said something like "wow - you people really ARE that polite,aren't you?"

I am really glad there are some Bikram teachers out there who can keep their students safe.
njguy
Posted 2006-06-22 1:30 PM (#56579 - in reply to #55968)

Actually, I don't think of it as being polite - I'm glad to be given a chance to improve my practice so that I can benefit more. I also feel silly when I realize I've been holding a part of my body in a silly or ineffective way.

I'll have to try Iyengar for a while some time when I find a place in my life. I'm doing Bikram as a kind of placeholder; fun, challenging, but not really an integral part of my life...
Thanks for the comments.
Nick
Posted 2006-06-22 2:12 PM (#56585 - in reply to #56459)

Hey Glenda,
Which part of the world do you come from?
Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-06-22 7:17 PM (#56607 - in reply to #56585)

Expert Yogi

I realise now I forgot to say - I am Canadian We say "excuse me", "pardon me" and "sorry!" when we bump into, go around or inconvenience someone. And we say "you're welcome" after someone thanks us, Not "uh-huh."
Nick
Posted 2006-06-23 12:43 AM (#56640 - in reply to #56607)

Hi Glenda,
Sorry, always presumed you were American-I'll never presume again! Well, not until the next time anyway
Nick
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-23 8:50 AM (#56659 - in reply to #55968)

Tourist, didn't you say B.C. in a different thread? My daughter went to Vancouver last spring for a student exchange, and totally loved it. It was nervewracking for me to let her go though. I think she was there for a week, and then later we had a girl stay with us. It was fun, and good for the kids.

About the lock the knee wording, I've been thinking about this. I like the word lock, in terms of the knee is movable, and so it you want the muscles engaged to hold it into place. In other places though, the word lock is considered the same as hyper extending, and that's the one that's harmful. Am I right?
tourist
Posted 2006-06-23 10:24 AM (#56677 - in reply to #56659)

Expert Yogi

Nick - you are excused - this time!

BQ - I am very close to Vancouver and my daughter lives there. It is a beautiful city and often is said to be one of the most "liveable" cities in the world. They are going a bit nuts there right now getting ready for the 2010 winter olympics.

I agree with the usefulness of the word "lock." It is too bad it has developed such an unfortunate connotation, but I have been watching people day-to-day since this thread has been going and I see sooooo many people do this action of pushing the knee back in regular standing position that it really has to be changed as a habit. It is often accompanied by a sway in the low back (anterior pelvic tilt, Nick would say) that is just a huge recipe for knee and low back pain. I have spoken with other yoga teachers and body workers of various stripes and we all agree it is hard to not go around correcting everyone we see some days!
Nick
Posted 2006-06-23 12:34 PM (#56690 - in reply to #56677)

Hi all,
Yes, the trouble with asking people to lock the knee using the quadriceps muscles leads to hyper-extension. This is easy to see when the foot is off the ground-when the foot is on the ground, the same action will definitely push the knee towards hyper-extension. this means that it is not just hyper-mobile people who should try to stop themselves hyper-extending, but everybody-it is just that the hyper-extended knee is only very noticeable in the hypermobile students.
The trouble with the knee extension is that as the joints are connected, you tend to get posture deviation-flexed ankles, hyper-extended knees, flexed hips, extended lumbar spine (as tourist mentioned) and a variety of bad postures further up the body, depending on how the individual attempts to accomodate itself towards balancing the body over the miscalculated posture further down.
Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-06-23 11:39 PM (#56712 - in reply to #56690)

Expert Yogi

I'm actually working on teaching the correct action most in dandasana an students seem to be understanding better. And yes, those who don't appear to be hyperextending are still doin g damage.
johnb838
Posted 2006-06-26 1:32 PM (#56831 - in reply to #56712)

It seems that lately my instructors have been taking time to say "This is what Bikram means by a locked knee" before we get into Dandyamana Bipahktapada Janurasana.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)