YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Addicted to Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Peter Mac
Posted 2006-03-19 7:12 AM (#47003)
Subject: Addicted to Bikram

I am on my 2nd week of Bikram Yoga and I have become addicted to it.
I am going to bed early just to get up in time to do the 6:00 AM class. I normally don't EVER get up before 9:00 AM.

I want to do it 4 times a day. At what point will I be doing "too much Bikram Yoga" and have it become harmful for me, if ever?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-03-19 7:23 AM (#47005 - in reply to #47003)
Subject: RE: Addicted to Bikram

Welcome Pete. I went through the same feelings as you when I began. I noticed my addiction when the drive to get to a class began to interfere with my life, i.e., when I'd make excuses to leave work, not do things my wife wanted to do on the weekend because I had to make that 4PM class, things like that. My quest to practice increased my stress as opposed what yoga was supposed to do, Throw on top of that the Bikram "60 day challenge" and the pressure to play that game and it really began to suck big time. In short, when you get to that point, that's too much.
Peter Mac
Posted 2006-03-19 7:25 AM (#47006 - in reply to #47005)

thanks. If we ignore the psychological problems and mental addiction issues, does it ever become physically harmful if I do it too many times per day?
Donut
Posted 2006-03-19 7:31 AM (#47009 - in reply to #47003)

As far as too much Bikram or any other yoga for that matter, I say if the urge is there, go with it. I beleive God puts that desire in you for a reason unforeseen by us. ENJOY!

Posted 2006-03-19 7:46 AM (#47010 - in reply to #47009)

Donnette makes sense. And from just a purely physical standpoint, you're OK if you don't let your ego override your common sense. Stay hydrated, notice if the heat is hurting you (headaches, nausea); rest when you need to and don't let an instructor shame you into not doing so. Plus really study and pay attention to the fragile parts of the ole body that Bikram teachers may ignore and the patter doesn't explain--specifically your knees and lower back--several of those postures can really put the hurt on you if youre not savvy; the worst I believe is Dandayamana Janushirasana (your #5)--you can really hurt your back attempting this until YOU (not the instructor) think you're ready.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-03-19 9:18 PM (#47080 - in reply to #47005)

Expert Yogi

Bruce - 2006-03-19 7:23 AM Welcome Pete. I went through the same feelings as you when I began. I noticed my addiction when the drive to get to a class began to interfere with my life, i.e., when I'd make excuses to leave work, not do things my wife wanted to do on the weekend because I had to make that 4PM class, things like that. My quest to practice increased my stress as opposed what yoga was supposed to do, Throw on top of that the Bikram "60 day challenge" and the pressure to play that game and it really began to suck big time. In short, when you get to that point, that's too much.

I'm with Brother Bruce.  I got totally addicted to Bikram when I started, like wacko wacko addicted, and putting it ahead of whatever else.  It made me really happy, which is saying something.  And, after a while, it did get to totally suck. 

So Brother Bruce, do you ever slip in a Bikram class?  I quit about a year and a half ago and I've never been back.

Posted 2006-03-19 9:47 PM (#47085 - in reply to #47080)

Brother Bay Guy, No more Bikram for me--I do go to the local Hot Body studio though. It's a sensible heat and a safe, sane teacher who learned from Barkin. Kathleen mixes it up and her studio holds different style classes. However, now that I'm teaching regularly, it's getting tough to get to a class anymore...sdon't know what I'm gonna do about yet.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-03-19 9:55 PM (#47087 - in reply to #47085)

Expert Yogi

Sounds like fun.  BTW, what is the smoke coming from your avatar?

Edited by Bay Guy 2006-03-19 9:56 PM

*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-19 10:23 PM (#47092 - in reply to #47003)

Me, too! I was once addicted but now I hardly do Bikram. I think everyone has their Bikram class quota in their lifetime. By taking more than one class you'll do the same amount of classes in a shorter period of time. No! I'm kidding!!!

I'm too lazy to reply to Peter's other post regarding shoulder pain during/after Bikram class so I'll do it here (sorry in advance). Yes, my shoulders and neck were killing me at the peak of my Bikram addiction. I eased up on classes when my hands were going numb (due to the horrible neck extensions in class).

When you're ready for a different but challenging yoga class, you might enjoy Ashtanga.

seoulyogi
Posted 2006-03-20 6:07 PM (#47196 - in reply to #47092)

yes, i agree. i was addicted to bikram when i first started. it was my first yoga experience and i loved it. the addiction started in the first week of classes. i stopped going, not sure why. some things about the practice turend me off so i decided to explore other styles of yoga. i've found ashtanga and although my feelings about the class weren't as strong (as bikram) at first, i've grown to like it so much more. i'll make a cheesy analogy: kind of like true love vs. infatuation. (for me, at least...)

*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-20 6:32 PM (#47200 - in reply to #47003)

Hi Seoulyogi,

That's an excellent analogy! True love based on a good foundation/friendship has much more lasting power than the high of infatuation.

I get high from Ashtanga but it's a different high from Bikram. The Bikram high was probably closely related to a dehydrated state of mind vs. a good prana high doing Ashtanga. I'll always have a soft spot for Bikram, just like the bad-boy (or bad-girl) you KNOW isn't good for you!
Peter Mac
Posted 2006-03-20 6:56 PM (#47204 - in reply to #47003)

why isn't bikram good for you?
Peter Mac
Posted 2006-03-20 6:57 PM (#47206 - in reply to #47010)

Bruce - 2006-03-19 7:46 AM

Donnette makes sense. And from just a purely physical standpoint, you're OK if you don't let your ego override your common sense. Stay hydrated, notice if the heat is hurting you (headaches, nausea); rest when you need to and don't let an instructor shame you into not doing so. Plus really study and pay attention to the fragile parts of the ole body that Bikram teachers may ignore and the patter doesn't explain--specifically your knees and lower back--several of those postures can really put the hurt on you if youre not savvy; the worst I believe is Dandayamana Janushirasana (your #5)--you can really hurt your back attempting this until YOU (not the instructor) think you're ready.
no problem here. I have to stand against the wall to hold my balance. there is no risk of hurting myself because I am so out of shape. I never do more than I feel physically able to do.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-20 7:28 PM (#47210 - in reply to #47204)

Expert Yogi

Peter Mac - 2006-03-20 6:56 PM

Peter,

Bikram Yoga is not bad for you. Any kind of yoga that is practiced by not listening to your body and pushing yourself over your limits is bad for you. Ultimately you have to decide for yourself.

IF I had the time every day to do a Bikram practice, I would. When I did my 90 day challenge at home 2 years ago after I had been practicing for over a year, I had to stop because I only allowed myself that time. Then I had other things to do. Now I do it when I have the time. For me that could be 3 x's weekly or 2 x's weekly. I feel so much better when I do more though. To be honest, I'm really tempted to gear up again and do it every other day - after my injury heals.

For what its worth. I do other forms of Hatha Yoga and have learned from other Indian Masters. Recently I went to a yoga workshop and learned some other forms of yoga...from another real Indian Master. It was great and all...but, when I got back to my Bikram mat, I knew I was back home again. Be careful about what you read. Someone else's experience is NEVER going to be the same for you. You have to decide where you want to go. One of the things I find so interesting about this particular forum is that MOST of the Bikram players do not participate here. It really screws with your practice to read negative comments, especially if you are a beginner. For what its worth, most of the Indian people I know really like Bikram and think he is right in line with their culture, my husband is one of these Indians...who comes from an Ashtanga background in Nepal. If I were you, go hang out with like minded people you know and take what others say with a grain of salt...just do your practice, learn from it, learn to listen to your body and you will do fine. If you think you should rest due to an injury, do it, and then pick it up again later. If your not getting results from a Bikram Studio, are feeling pushed, uncomfortable with the instructors and you like the series, go find a Hot Yoga studio..I think you'll be much happier there. Self doubt and doubt period about your practice is not good. Best wishes with your practice.

Cyndi
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-20 7:39 PM (#47214 - in reply to #47003)

Hi Peter Mac,

I'm not sure I would say Bikram is bad for you but for me their ranges of motion, especially with the neck, are too extreme. Plus, since I have low blood pressure (hypotension) all the sweating (fluid loss) makes me dizzy for 24 hours after class. I try to remedy this by doing Bikram in the evening so I can go to sleep afterwards.

I mentioned earlier that my hands would go numb and my neck started killing me when I was at the height of my Bikram love affair. But, that's me. Some people love it and feel great doing it once a day for the rest of their lives.

It's a great feeling to finish a Bikram class.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-03-20 9:18 PM (#47232 - in reply to #47214)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Fifi- I had serious neck issues that went away when I quit practicing Bikram 10 months ago. About 6 weeks ago I had a hankering to do a class again so I did and that neck pain was right there, ready to come back full force. So that's it for me.

It's just not my bag, baby
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-21 9:38 AM (#47268 - in reply to #47232)

Expert Yogi

Interesting. My neck is the opposite and it gets all the kinks out!! In fact, I've been on a Bikram break from my shoulder injury way too long, I'm so anxious to start back up again, its driving me nuts!! The good news about my injury is that because of my practice, when I went into that forced backbend into my rose bushes, I was able to balance myself at least so I didn't break any bones, it could of been much worse and probably would of been for the average person...that much I am sure of!

Anyway, for me, right now in my life - Bikram/Hot Yoga Rules!!

*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-21 12:05 PM (#47293 - in reply to #47003)

I am envious of you, Cyndi!

I do have a history of neck pain, so it's not necessarily Bikram's fault that my neck hurts. Perhaps if I had started Bikram 20 years ago before I injured my neck, I would have recovered completely. Necks and discs are a funny thing. When is somebody going to invent Cheese-Whiz-Disc-Spray to make degenerated discs fluffy again?
seoulyogi
Posted 2006-03-21 7:20 PM (#47373 - in reply to #47204)

Peter Mac - 2006-03-20 6:56 PM

it's not that bikram isn't good for you. there are many benefits to all styles of yoga. the thing that didn't agree with me about bikram was the intensity of "getting into" the pose with no pre-class alignment training. the studio i went to encouraged all students even people who hadn't ever tried yoga to come do a class. there is little instruction during the class and it gets intimidating when it looks like everyone around you knows what's going on and you don't. the teachers used phrases that made it seem like you HAD to do the pose. "Lock the knees! Last chance! Lock the knees!" and things like that. i just felt this "get there! get there!" frantic feeling the whole time. but then again, that's just my opinion... and it might be that i didn't like that particular studio... i like classes where the teachers walk around and help you individually.

i want to stress that this is only my opinion. it's great that you are so excited about this style of yoga... my advice is to do what feels ok for you and when you can, seek advice about proper alignment. make sure you take it easy if something doesn't feel right. keep in mind these quotes from David Williams, "one millimeter past a stretch is tearing" and "if it hurts, you're doing it wrong".
Jambo
Posted 2006-03-21 7:54 PM (#47375 - in reply to #47003)

>SJ - there is little instruction during the class and it gets intimidating when it looks like everyone around you knows what's going on and you don't. the teachers used phrases that made it seem like you HAD to do the pose. "Lock the knees! Last chance! Lock the knees!" and things like that. i just felt this "get there! get there!" frantic feeling the whole time.

I’m with you my brother. But what blows me away is how popular this form of Yoga is. Guess a lot of people want “atomic balls” like Bikram including some of the women who go there.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-21 8:18 PM (#47377 - in reply to #47375)

Expert Yogi

Jambo - 2006-03-21 7:54 PM

But what blows me away is how popular this form of Yoga is. Guess a lot of people want “atomic balls” like Bikram including some of the women who go there.

Your're right, Bikram is probably the MOST popular form of Yoga next to BKS. Perhaps maybe there is something there after all and only *special* people are allowed to see it,

Cyndi who thinks she's so special.....and a ticking Atomic Ball....BOOM,
Peter Mac
Posted 2006-03-22 1:04 AM (#47396 - in reply to #47373)

"Lock the knees! Last chance! Lock the knees!" and things like that. i just felt this "get there! get there!" frantic feeling the whole time. but then again, that's just my opinion... and it might be that i didn't like that particular studio... i like classes where the teachers walk around and help you individually.
well, then it must be just that studio. the instructors in my studio walk around helping everyone. they use that same dialog--I think it's from bikram himself because they all use it from NY to LA, but I love the intensity.

keep in mind these quotes from David Williams, "one millimeter past a stretch is tearing" and "if it hurts, you're doing it wrong".
I disagree Stretching is uncomfortable. However, if you can hold a stretch for 30 seconds it means you are flexible and not tearing anything. I agree you can go too far, but if I can hold the strech for 30 seconds I really don't believe I'm at risk of tearing anything

Edited by Peter Mac 2006-03-22 1:05 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-22 9:29 AM (#47419 - in reply to #47396)

Expert Yogi

The statement, "if it hurts, your're doing it wrong". That is one we have discussed here on this board plenty. It is the most misconstrued phrase ever written. First you need to define what your level of hurt is and then take a look at the word "uncomfortable" and then find a happy medium between the two. I think that is really important. If you don't feel move it, stretch it, whatever, then you will not get any benefit from yoga, any kind of yoga. To go beyond your capacity because you are in competition with the person next to you or with yourself, then that is not correct either. There are so many aspects to consider. You have to find your niche and for god's sake, use common sense, but at the same time, don't be a chicken just because you feel hurt or discomfort. I can guarantee you that most people 85% of the time are feeling discomfort because they've never used that part of their body before and it can be uncomfortable at first. But, you need to experience it so that way you'll know the difference between hurt and uncomfortable. The other 15%, well you know who you are and sorry, you got a knucklehead for an instructor,
inbklyn
Posted 2006-04-06 2:03 PM (#48818 - in reply to #47003)

Peter, I'm new to Bikram and am bordering on
addicted, too! I've dabbled in a couple different style of yoga,
but nothing has ever resonated with me the way Bikram does.
Like you, I find myself looking forward to getting up for
the 6:30 am class, when most days I struggle it make it
to work for 9:30.

I've read a lot of negative comments about Bikram on this
board, but I think you just have to follow your own gut,
listen to your body, and do what makes sense for you.
Many people seem to say that an initial Bikram addicition
is a "stage." Could be true, but I guess only time will tell.

In the meantime, enjoy your practice, and thank yourself
for all the good stuff you're doing for your body.
nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-04-06 3:15 PM (#48824 - in reply to #47003)

I haven't tried Bikram, and won't, because I disapprove of the legal actions he's taken against people in the yoga field. But that's a personal philosophy thing (I'm also a supporter of open source software! ;-) ) and I can understand that other people either don't want to fight that fight or have beliefs opposite of mine. Outside of that, if it's what feels right to you, then YAY! Finding what feels right is half the battle. :-)

As for doing it too much... listen to your body. I do enjoy a variation of power yoga, but find that daily practice is currently too much for my joints. I'm prone to tendonitis, however, so it may just be an issue of needing to build up to it. Listen to your body, respect it, and work towards your goals, always keeping in mind that you have to work within the constraints of your body, but that your body does have some capacity for being molded and changed.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)