YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strange question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

gilclopez
Posted 2006-03-19 12:21 AM (#46995)
Subject: Strange question

I took a break from Bikram for about a month. For the past few weeks I've been going every single day of the week. In the past 4-5 days I've been having a strange response during camel pose. About 10 seconds after I come out of it.. my eyes tear up and many tears end up coming out. It's almost as if I'm crying... but I'm not. I usually just feel a little dizzy or light-headed after coming out of that pose. I can get deep into it.

I've heard instructors say that it can stir up emotion. The thing is, I haven't felt this emotion before. It's an overwhelming feeling and I have to really wipe the tears away for at least 3-5 minutes after that pose. A guest teacher rushed to me thinking something was really wrong. He was wondering if I pushed myself too hard or was injured. I wasn't. It was embarassing, he was really freaked out. I had to assure him everything was perfectly fine (it really was) several times. At the end of class he said I just looked really sad.

It has a slight hint of sadness maybe? I've just never had tears come out like that before... well maybe once or twice during really bad times. I didn't actually cry or go through that whole process. I didn't make any sounds.. it's just tears.

It's really bothering me. It does affect the rest of my class. Today I immediately flipped over into savasana after every pose. I put urgency into my flip. When I did it after camel... I felt a little buzzed... which was good. I thought I had escaped it. I was wrong. After that buzz the tears poured right out. Ugh. I'm not able to make it go away, I need help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2006-03-19 3:26 AM (#47001 - in reply to #46995)
Subject: RE: Strange question

Hi Gil,
I have only had a couple of people crying in my classes ,but I live in England, where 'emotional' is used to describe a personality disorder! Strangely enough, with one woman she said it was always backward bends, such as camel, that got her crying-she told me not to worry, as it always happened. It seems that the practice of yoga can stir up forgotten memories. i would think that practicing at home might be a good one-I would presume over time that you might then tackle the issue. At home you can also analyze the whole session-how did you feel before camel, does performing the posture in a different way make a difference. In case the problem is entirely physical, try looking up to the ceiling rather than throwing your head and neck back-maybe tension in the neck could be responsible? Or the lacrimal glands are irritated by being upside down?
Take care
Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-03-19 11:19 AM (#47019 - in reply to #46995)

Expert Yogi

Wow Gil - that is a really interesting thing to have happen! It is true that chest openings do tend to have that sort of reaction and I believe the explanation is that they open the heart chakra. You said your teacher thought you looked sad, but seeing as you are not feeling sad but just overwhelmed by the experience, it could be that you are simply overflowing emotionally with all sorts of different emotions. OTOH, you could still be unconsciously holding back the sadness that is still there. I would imagine you have as much sadness as anyone stored away so it would make sense that it would want to get out. The (wonderful) choices you have made in your life to radiate happiness and loving kindness outwardly may now be manifesting in your body by letting go of all the stuff you have stored up so that you will be able to give that much more to yourself and others. I don't know really. I am just making this up as I go along. But it sounds cleansing and freeing and that, in the long run, should be good. Have a big hug (((*hug*)))
scoutsmom
Posted 2006-03-19 11:30 AM (#47020 - in reply to #46995)

I used to get really nauseaous after camel. Really nauseous. Like I would have to leave and vomit every other class. So after a while I started skipping that pose and even lying in savasana with other people around me doing camel would be almost too intense to stand. After a while (like 6 months) that feeling passed, and I started doing the pose again. It is still a big rush, and I still get nauseated, but not nearly as bad. I kind of almost like it now.

One thing I was told by a guest teacher, that I had never noticed before, is that you come out of camel like you go into it, so your *head comes up last*. ie. your cervical spine is the last to straighten. Try it-it feels really different and makes me dizzy right at the time I bring my head up for a second, but then the "rush" afterward in savasana is much gentler.

In any case, all that to say that camel is really intense for those of us with big hearts. Like you, I had VERY intense physical reactions without any specific emotion attached. Must have been something old or subconscious. It has improved over time...

(does that help???)
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-19 10:14 PM (#47090 - in reply to #46995)

I never feel good after camel in Bikram. My back and my neck kill me after this pose. Not sure about the tearing. Well, you said you felt emotion. Since the neck is horribly extended in camel pose I might assume some part of your nervous system (nerves) is being pinched, triggering a tearing response. I think I'm wrong on this one b/c you are saying you feel emotion during this pose. Camel is a pose that opens the chest and all that belongs to the chest (like the heart, pericardium, lungs, the mind, the emotions...).

Do you feel better in Rabbit pose?
Nick
Posted 2006-03-20 2:45 AM (#47098 - in reply to #46995)

Hi guys,
Something else just occurred to me (a eureka moment!). I can't find any references, so you'll have to bear with me. The transverse thoracicis is a muscle that is on the inside of the rib cage. Its activation pulls the rib cage down and in, as in when you are cold. i seem to remember that some types of therapy use this muscle for emotional relaese of the client. Apparrently any pressure or strain on the muscle has been noted to produce strong emotional reactions. Maybe this could be one reason why yoga practice is associated with an emotional response (positive and negative) because the locus of breathing is altered. Backward bends and deep breathing would introduce stretch to this muscle.Wish I could remember where I read this-think it may be something to do with rolfing.
Take care
Nick
Nick
Posted 2006-03-20 3:19 AM (#47099 - in reply to #47020)

Hi deb,
Camel pose is a backbend in which students often assume a faulty head/neck posture. In chiropractic, before the neck is adjusted, the patient is asked to look up at the ceiling. if dizziness is experienced, it may be that the vertebral artery which travels to the brain through the cervical spine, is being compressed by the spine itself, pointing to bony changes, perhaps due to osteoarthritis. There are other clinical options, such as vestibular dysfunction.
A good move is to set a good posture of the head and neck when the student is about to go into the pose. Then the tongue is pressed against the roof of the mouth (tongue up, teeth apart, lips closed-TUTALC). As you move into the backbend, regard any movement that pulls the tongue from the roof of the mouth as being a movement that will compromise the safety of the neck's various structures.
As students take hold of their feet, they often lean on the feet and push themselves up into the posture. The trouble with this is that the shoulders are drawn backwards and the head/neck is pushed forwards-then, the student throws their head back to try to get into the pose more deeply. Instead of this, the student should try to put their hands on their feet (fingers pointing towards the toes), and pull into the pose by extending the hips-this promotes back safety and helps to extend the shoulders, rather than pull them backwards, they are being extended to stretch the chest muscles.
You know you are getting it rigth when you stretch the front of the hip and thigh, no back pain, and the gluteals are tightened to extend your hip joints. The abdominals are also used to pull the pubic bone towards the chest. It's a 'legs, bums, and tums' posture
Take care
Nick
scoutsmom
Posted 2006-03-23 11:59 AM (#47588 - in reply to #46995)

Nick-thanks very much-I tried it your way and it was really helpful! I am good with keeping my hips forward but it seems like keeping my tongue on the roof of my mouth helps a ton with dizziness. Not sure why...I have an old neck injury AND vestibular dysfunction so ???
But thanks again.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-23 12:22 PM (#47596 - in reply to #47588)

Expert Yogi

Hey Deb,

Several years ago, like another lifetime ago, I took Tai Chi Qi Gong classes from a very good Chinese Instructor. Keeping the tongue in the roof of the mouth during the postures was the first thing she taught us. I made this my habit. So, when I learned Hatha Yoga, it was a natural thing for me to do. It also helped me learned the proper way to breath and to always place your feet back in line with the other say like in standing bow, when you place your feet back onto the ground, you place it right in line with the other, not in front of or in back of. It's a good habit to do.

Anyway, as for Nick's description of Camel. I was always taught to drop the head back, after you first find your BUTT muscle with your hands, not your lower back, (use the butt muscle to lower yourself back), then after you engage your abs, then drop your head back completely, then lower yourself back, if you can find your feet grab onto them, then try to push yourself up and expand/open the chest. When I first starting doing this posture, I didn't do it right, therefore I was totally scared and could not go back, I would tense up. Doing it the way I just described, opened up a new world for me. I want to say that I think I grab my right foot first then my left. If I grab left first, it will throw my shoulder out of balance and screw up the posture. But that is me, my left collar bone was broken 18 years ago so I have to be careful with that one. I learned this from my Instructor.
Nick
Posted 2006-03-23 4:52 PM (#47622 - in reply to #46995)

hi all,
The instruction to bring the tongue to the rof of the mouth that is used in yoga and in zoebird's t'ai chi class is not a diversion of the structure of the tongue-the roof of the mouth is actually the tongue's resting posture. When the tongue rests on the base of the mouth, a forward head posture often results, placing strain on the neck muscles. You will then notice that the tongue presses upwards more strongly according to the effort that you are using to lift into postures. You can then use the pressure of the tongue to determine the level of effort-a bit like when you breathe more powerfully to make advanced postures easier for you to attain.
The tongue up posture also helps to relaese muscles that are often tight in neck pain patients, such as sternocleidomastoid and the scalene, and levator scapulae. This should gradually result in a neck with good range of motion and less pain (hopefully!).
Remember, scoutsmom-you say you have no trouble bringing the hips forwards-Iwould just like to clarify the movement of the hips. If you were to watch someone doing the camel pose, at first sight it may appear that they are simply bringing their hips forwards. In reality, what should be happening is that their pelvis should be extending, because of the gluteal contraction that Zoebird was talikg about. it is important not to simply tighten the gluteals, which would definitely push the hips forwards, but to tighten them so that the pelvis extends, throughing the upper body backwards as the thighs are driven forwards. you will feel the extra stretch on the quads and hip flexors!! Camel is a good pose to find out if you have good technique in back bends-if your back hurts, then you are doing it wrong. if you immediately go into child pose, then you are doing it wrong! if you feel great, that is a good sign. It is a great stretch when done well.
Take care
Nick
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-23 5:02 PM (#47625 - in reply to #46995)

Cyndi -

The old tongue on the roof of the mouth trick is a great way to remain grounded. It where the Du (yang) Channel and the Ren (yin) Channel connect. Thank you for reminding us!
Nick
Posted 2006-03-23 6:00 PM (#47632 - in reply to #47596)

Sorry Cyndi,
I meant you not zoebird! don't know what came over me-are you related?
Take care
Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-23 10:06 PM (#47640 - in reply to #47632)

Expert Yogi

Nick, I love ya man, but I need help with translations....could you like explain that in English,

I think I understood most of it. I always thought that with camel it would be your lower back that would hurt first if not the most when doing this posture wrong. This is my favorite posture and if I had to choose a daily posture, this would be the one, then cobra then fixed firm, and of course, Savasana.

Me and Zoebird related.... might as well be. She's a dragon, so am I, she's a cancer, so am I, she was born in July, so was I, and we are exactly 12 years apart...she's the oldest, and I think we are both blondes too,
Nick
Posted 2006-03-24 12:53 AM (#47644 - in reply to #47640)

Hi Cyndi,
Isnt that the wonderful thing about the net though-you can translate everything, and I can rabbit on like everybody cares! Perfect!!
I think you are right, it is often the lower back which is painful if this posture isnt done correctly. The trouble is, if the neck is irritated by some condition, I think that the student is almost predisposed to getting neck pain in this pose. Sometimes students are lucky enough to get both!! They get a cookie!
Wow, you and Zoebird are peas in a pod!twins born twelve years apart! Now that's a long labour!
Take care
Nick
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-24 12:13 PM (#47669 - in reply to #46995)

Really? ZB is older than Cyndi? That's funny, I thought ZB was in her 20s and Cyndi in her 30s. (I'm in my 30s in case anyone was wondering.)
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-24 12:56 PM (#47675 - in reply to #47669)

Expert Yogi

Fifi, is there anything that we can't get past you??? Okay, you're right, sorda...but I'm not in my 20's or 30's...I lied,
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-24 1:12 PM (#47676 - in reply to #46995)

No, No,...I'm a little slow and I like to do regular reality checks (you know, being an Aquarius 'n all)

Posted 2006-03-24 1:53 PM (#47679 - in reply to #47676)

Cyndi is in her teens I believe.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-24 2:54 PM (#47682 - in reply to #47679)

Expert Yogi

BB, your're so smart, I mean like Brilliant,
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-28 1:13 PM (#48022 - in reply to #46995)

ZB's a Blonde, and in her 30s (29,30), I'll let everybody do the math to figure out how long Cyndi's had to grow so wise.
aussiepearl
Posted 2006-04-07 12:20 AM (#48869 - in reply to #46995)

Last week we had a new instructor and for some strange reason after we had completed the second set of camel pose he said "if you use your glutes your doing it wrong" So next class I tried not using my glutes while in the pose. Not easy but I did feel more of a stretch in the front and you are forced to use your quads, abdomen and chest more. I also didn't feel so bad coming out of it.
sideshow
Posted 2006-04-07 9:23 PM (#48964 - in reply to #46995)

hrmmmm

I need to focus on keeping my tongue on the roof of my mouth more i think....oh yeah its pierced and i got a 10gauge bar through it....does that mess with those pressure points?

heh...funny thing, ive had it pierced for going on....8-9 years now....if i take it out, and try to talk i talk with a lisp..which of course would go away after retraining my tongue...

i digress, im going to have to try some of these techniques next time i do camel...sounds like i missed some things of utmost importance...

thanks for the info.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-04-07 10:33 PM (#48966 - in reply to #48869)

Expert Yogi

aussiepearl - 2006-04-07 12:20 AM Last week we had a new instructor and for some strange reason after we had completed the second set of camel pose he said "if you use your glutes your doing it wrong" So next class I tried not using my glutes while in the pose. Not easy but I did feel more of a stretch in the front and you are forced to use your quads, abdomen and chest more. I also didn't feel so bad coming out of it.

Try this:  keep the pinky toes flat down on the floor in camel while maintaining the legs parallel to one another.  You may find that this requires a bit of internal rotation from the inner thigh muscles.  If you are instead squeezing your glutes, it's most likely that your knees splay apart and your great toes come toward one another...you'll also tend to crunch the lumbar spine.

If you want to extend the above, try entering camel with your knees and ankles each touching.  That will challenge your flexibility, but you'll see more fully how the preceding affected the spine.

.... bg

Nick
Posted 2006-04-08 4:16 AM (#48977 - in reply to #46995)

Hi all,
Hey Sideshow, Maybe you could use the piercing to your advantage-just aim the piercing towards the roof of your mouth and it will remind you to keep it there!
Bay guy has an interesting point to make regarding the gluteals in camel pose. It seems that some forms of yoga tell us not to tighten the gluteal muscle in backbends. i believe the reason for this is to try to avoid stressing the lower back. But the trouble is, the gluteals are the muscle responsible (along with the hamstrings) for extending the hips-this makes them the antagonists of the hip flexors, which are probably the major muscles to stretch in most backbends. By not tightening the gluteals, we are probably not targetting the hip flexors properly-a rule of human movement is a principle that is called reciprocal inhibition-this means that when a muscle activates on one side of a joint, the muscles on the oppposite side will stretch. This is an interesting concept for yoga students because it allows us to concentrate on the contraction of muscles to bring stretch, rather than merely stretching.
The role of the gluteals has been poorly understood in yoga circles-as i said, it is a hip extensor, as well as an external rotator of the hip joint. It is one of the biggest muscles in the human body, and is one that is particularly well developed in the human, the only animal on this planet to successfullly stand upright. Without it, we could argue that we would not have developed into the fine creatures that we are today.
In relation to backbends, I believe the answer with the glutes is not to use them to push the hips forwards, which puts what is called shear force on the lumbar spine, and greater compression on the same vertebra. if we use them to extend the hip joint instead (a posterior pelvic tilt) then the lumbar spine is decompressed, and the shaer foces are greatly reduced. plus, you get to stretch the hip flexors which may be the culprits for causing back pain in the first place-when tight, the hip flexors contribute to what is called the lower crossed syndrome-this is where the hip flexors and lower back muscles are tight, causing an anterior tilt of the pelvis and increased lordosis of the lumbar spine. This is accompnied by weakness in the abdominal muscles and the gluteals, which then contributes to the bad posture.
So i think that whilst bay guy is right in that we should not use the glutes to produce what is known in movement circles as the midnight tilt (for obvious reasons ), we should recognize its worth in reducing back pain by increasing its functional status in our yoga postures. Stretching it in most forward bends, will decopress the lumbar spine, and tightening it to produce the posterior pelvic tilt in most backbends will also de-compress the lumbar spine.
Any thoughts?
Take care
Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-04-08 2:48 PM (#48990 - in reply to #48977)

Expert Yogi

As I see it, the glues are in fact, engaged. They are not, however, engaged in a way that pulls them into the sacrum - Geeta Iyengar calls that "criss crossing the buttocks." If the glutes are moved toward the floor and the front pelvic rims lifted (not pushed forward) bringing the pelvis into a position closer to perpendicular to the floor, the glutes will "engage" and not just be passengers along for the ride, but they will not induce back pain by crowding the s/i joint. Working with a block can help understand the action, the same as it does in urdhva dhanurasana. You put the block between the mid thighs and move the sit bones to the floor, all the while rolling the front thighs in in such a way as to move the block back behind you. If the block juts forward, you are "criss crossing" the buttocks and it will hurt. This is why Iyengar classes spend sooooo much time on tadasana and the standing poses. It is the identical action required in tadasana and if a student understands it, they move into back bending with little problem.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)