YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teachers & Practice Frequency
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

meli911
Posted 2007-09-21 6:14 PM (#96717)
Subject: Teachers & Practice Frequency

At the moment, I'm attending two classes per week but I go to those religiously and I always do my best (the hardest part, most of the time, is getting my butt to the studio). I'm hoping to increase this to 3-5 times per week eventually, although that may be too much of a time committment...

Just out of curiosity, how often does an average Bikram's instructor practice, aside from teaching classes? Also, how many classes per week do those going on to teacher training normally complete? For the nine weeks during teacher training, how many Bikram's classes are taken per week (I'm assuming 7 or more)?

Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Andre
Posted 2007-09-21 9:41 PM (#96733 - in reply to #96717)
Subject: RE: Teachers & Practice Frequency

Extreme Veteran

For the nine weeks during teacher training, how many Bikram's classes are taken per week (I'm assuming 7 or more)?

From what I'm told, in teacher training, you do doubles Mon.-Fri. an am class on Sat. and have Sun. off. That's 11 a week by my math. I have no idea how many classes a teacher takes, ask 'em! But if I was going to teacher training, I'd probably prepare by doing 5 a week for a month or so, and then doing a week of doubles, followed by a week of singles followed by a week of doubles, just to see how it is.

Posted 2007-09-22 1:37 AM (#96743 - in reply to #96717)
Subject: RE: Teachers & Practice Freque

Meli -

I'm not sure if there's an answer to your question of how often the "average" Bikram teacher practices. At my studio we have many teachers and there is a wide variety of practice. Some teachers practice at LEAST once every day (and have phenomenal abilities), others maybe only 4 times a week or so. One of the funny little tricks of Bikram is that, since the teacher never is required to demonstrate postures, the teacher doesn't HAVE to maintain his or her own practice to still be a great teacher. And the time demands of teaching classes and keeping a studio running may also take away from the teacher's personal practice time. So I guess my only answer is: it depends!!

But as Dre very correctly points out, in order to BECOME a teacher you have to make it through 9 weeks of practicing 11 times a week.
Aubrgene
Posted 2007-10-01 2:17 PM (#97249 - in reply to #96717)

I try to maintain and practice five days a week whenever I can. I used to practice twice daily, but that was when I first started practicing Bikram yoga.
yogabrian
Posted 2007-10-02 2:28 PM (#97307 - in reply to #96717)

Most Bikram teachers I know practice 3/5 times a week depending on thier teaching schedule. However, I know of none that have personal practice(not attending a class).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)