YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

share your experiences
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

cheremushki
Posted 2007-06-06 6:35 PM (#88730)
Subject: share your experiences

As i've posted before, i just started bikram. And i just finished my 10th class. i've noticed that first three class my body became extremely sore, and from 4th class it wasn't as sore as before but i'm having more difficulties. i would guess this is because i'm more aware of poses, there are lot of corrections as class progresses, and making it feel harder. And i'm having difficulty sucking in my stomach and breathing at the same time during asanas. Or as more and more i'm aware of what next asana will be my mind wonders to "how long before i can get out of the hot heat??". But i DO enjoy the sense of calm when i'm done. i'm hoping that i can improve a lot.. So what were your beginning like?
To be honest, i guess with assumption that everyone has gone through with this, that this is normal?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Andre
Posted 2007-06-07 11:23 AM (#88833 - in reply to #88730)
Subject: RE: share your experiences

Extreme Veteran

Breathing is yoga. It's one of the hardest things to master. I finally got that when I had a realization that I was asking myself, "when do you breathe in the pose?". Don't worry about it if you're having troubles. You get it eventually, sometimes it's when you're not focusing on it, and then it makes sense.

I came to rehab a knee with torn cartilage. The introductory package, 3 classes in two weeks pretty much took care of it. It stopped popping out. After that I got 10 class card, and did about 7 classes over the next 2 months and then stopped. During that time, I dreaded the heat. I hated holding my arms up in awkward pose, I just couldn't do it, and the women in the class were rock solid while I struggled.

For some reason I came back about a year later. Used up the last three classes and then did another 10 class card. During this time there were bouts of not wanting to come in and face the heat. But it was always worth it by the end of the class. Eventually you end up craving the workout.

When you're dreading it, remember two things. This is what they often say at my local studio, not sure how common it is elsewhere: the first goal is to get here. The 2nd goal is to stay in the room. My addition is everything after that is gravy.

It is hard sometimes to willingly submit yourself to such an exercise. For me, I got past that dread. I still have some classes where I struggle. And in finding balance now, I'm often not going when I am emotional. But it's also interesting, sometimes I need it when I am having a hard time in life. I am trying to recognize the difference now. That is where I am in my practice.

I hope others chime in, I'd love to hear other people's experiences.
monkeypicked
Posted 2007-06-07 4:53 PM (#88868 - in reply to #88730)

I find that the classes that I go into feeling off in some way are often my best. When i walk into a class happy, I don't seem to work as hard mentally, and thus I have a harder class.
It might be backwards in many ways, but when I have to work harder mentally to let go, I have a much better time, maybe it's just that my head is working so I don't pay as much attention to my body and the heat and exhaustion?
c
gogirl58
Posted 2007-06-10 3:00 AM (#89057 - in reply to #88868)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for asking this thought provoking question.

I have been a pretty regular Bikram practicioner for over 4 years, going two to three times a week.
There are periods where I go once a week, but they generally don't last over a month. I wish I could say that it gets really easy, but not so. There are periods where I go often and the poses become
easier, and I go through classes and leave in high energy. For some reason, these end, often because some life issue causes me to lessen my practice, and I have to built up my endurance again. I have just turned 61 and started when I was 56, so my issues are slightly different.

What I can say is that I am so happy that I am pursuing Bikram instead of other disciplines that I see people my age pursue. I feel it helps to control health issues, and I am not having a lot of the arthritis concerns my peers do. When I go regularly it helps with weight, and my attitude
towards life is much improved with regular attendance. I feel like a have a reserve to handle stress that is probably permanent. it feels like I have grown spiritually and attitudinally, and I have shrunk weight wise. Oh, by the way, I still can't do all of the postures, but I know that some instructors can't either..... so I don't worry, its really not about postures, but about how you feel inside.
cheremushki
Posted 2007-06-11 12:24 AM (#89142 - in reply to #88730)

Thanks all for sharing your experiences. I have to agree with classes that seems more difficult at times. I've have had my best classes past two days and today I just felt little warn out on my left leg and more people and heat in the class didn't help me either. But over all i'm enjoying the practice tremendously. I guess despite the set asanas and pranayamas I love and appreciate the fact it feels like new learning experience everytime. I hope I as well as others who practice bikram will continue to have a great experience. Namaste.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)