YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

your bio...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Posted 2006-01-21 3:39 AM (#41572 - in reply to #41255)
Subject: RE: your bio...

hmmmm well after reading some replies I'll offer this. Perhaps this question calls on us as teachers. And if that's the case then it would be a rush to judgment to offer advice without knowing a bit more information. Is this a bio or a resume? Different animals. A bio can be more conversational while a resume has a different goal and target market.

If it's merely a bio write to make it good reading. I see some are talkign about childhood experience. I think that's info I'd want to know about if I were interviewing a new teacher but I'd find it a bit odd to read it on the rsume of a thirty year-old. That's just me. I DO read between the lines and am constantly looking for hints and clues about personality in what is and isn't included and how it's offered.

So be clean and clear abut what you're saying and why. If it's rampant with ego I know I'd sniff it out. Others may not. And while you're ego leading would not rule you out as a hire it would be revealing.

I fthis is resume work...So what sort of position are you seeking and who is the target market to read your resume based on that?

Frankly I think your format differs. If you're looking to teach yoga in let's say a corporate environment then you're getting the attention of Benefits people in that organization. And those folks will be seeking a certain mainstream credibility. They'll want to know about your certifications (be that teacher trainings and/or Yoga Alliance etcetera) and they'll want to know your general teachign experience as well as places you've instructed.

Like a recent college graduate you may have a tough time as a new teacher assemblig what you think is "enough" info for your resume.

You can probably find resume info elsewhere though right???
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tinyone
Posted 2006-01-21 4:00 AM (#41574 - in reply to #41499)

Green Jello
If you look, I was replying to Tourist when she indicated that perhaps some dancers, gymnasts, etc on this board might have a different take on this topic. As a performer and dance teacher, I simply responded to her post.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-21 9:34 AM (#41591 - in reply to #41255)

Okay, I'm not saying that ZB's childhood experiences are invalid, rather that they're different, and that it shouldn't all be lumped together. Actually, I think that she got started at 5 is more impressive than having the 25 years of experience all as an adult. Generally what people do as children is a very strong indication of what their calling will be in life.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-21 9:50 AM (#41595 - in reply to #41591)

Expert Yogi

Yes - it depends on how it actually plays on on paper, doesn't it? Here's a fun analogy - say one was going to teach power - walking (do people actually do that? Probably...) their resume wouldn't say "I began my walking areer at 10 months of age with my mother as my primary teacher." Although, as with my comment about ZB, it would certainly be a conversation starter But a resume looking to land a job would begin with the professional coaching and competitive results. The "when I learned to walk" would be a background bit and some thing intetresting but not pertinent to getting the job.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-21 11:30 AM (#41602 - in reply to #41255)

Maybe a better example would be football. Most people start learning football when they're kids, usually from their fathers, or the neighborhood kids. Then they play in their backyards, maybe a little pee-wee football. The real football starts when they get to high school. In high school they might have a try-out, or just let everybody on the team, and use the "good" kids predominantly. When it comes time to get on the college teams, they look at your high school records. If you do well in college, the pro teams come around. By this time they really don't care what you did with your father in the backyard, it's all about your college record.

There's a similar analogy with academics. I started learning to read with my parents reading to me when I was little. Then I went to school, and went through the usual nonsense. When I graduated from high school the colleges wanted to know what my high school record was, particular Senior year. When I applied to grad school, they wanted to know what my undergrad record was, it didn't matter what I had done in high school.

Most job interviews are similar, they really don't care what you did 3 jobs past, it's all about your last position, and what your skill set is.
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-01-22 3:44 PM (#41664 - in reply to #41255)

I agree that there is a cut-off point really when you choose what goes on you c.v. I've spoken french and german since i was little, but I just put "native speaker". I have been fiddling with computing since i was 10 but I don't include it on my resume now, I have a few degrees and some experience to prove I can do the job.

I guess that what you write in it depends on your aim. Lots of people confuse bio and c.v - In the bio put whatever you like, it's meant to let people get a look into your life and connect with you, find out more,... A c.v is more sterile. It's going to filed and dealt with. Be to the point and focus on getting the job!

If you're a yoga teacher, then you might want to do what athletes do. You get 1 side of A4, you have your photo on there, your name, age, notable awards won (not childhood ones) and a short history of your athletic career to date (where you can say that you've been running since 2 if you like) - I'd probably want to focus more on my more mature achievements because of space on the sheet.

I think the idea is to keep in mind the aim of it.

Posted 2006-01-23 10:57 AM (#41732 - in reply to #41255)

the original post asked for my bio. I gave the two bios that i use, depending upon the space available.

when i have a flyer, i use my short bio. this is because the flyer usually has different elements and less space. I set the paper up landscape and divide it into thirds. On the left 1/3, I have the type of yoga that i teach (I call it "traditional yoga") and beneath that i have my name. Then, there's a picture of me in a yoga pose (the one on my web site--natarajasana). Then, there's a brief, four-word description of the yoga that i teach (transformative, therapeutic vinyasa yoga). On the right 2/3 of the page, i have the title of the course "A journey through the Chakras" (for example) and beneath this, the relevent, when, where, and how much. Then, i describe the course. At the bottom, i put my short bio of my credentials. No one has ever questioned or contested it.

When i have a brochure, or when my bio is required for a web site (such as a studio or gym where i may teach), i include the longer bio which also has a picture. My brocure also has the first 1/3 of my flyer image on the front, a description of what i consider "traditional yoga" to be in the inner 1/3, the middle 1/3 offers my course offerings, and the far right 1/3 has my bio and picture. The back has my schedule, and of course there's that part with the mailing/contact info as well. No one has ever questioned that bio either.

When i apply for a job, i use a CV. My CV is very dry, and it's 4 pages long. It begins with 'qualifications' and gives a bulleted list: 25 years experience practicing yoga; 10 years experience teaching yoga; 500 hr Yoga Alliance E-RYT; 2 years experience in Thai Yoga Massage; member of these professional organizations (list). Following this, I have my yoga education which begins with my apprenticeships at 18 and finishes with my current trainings with Dharma Mittra. The next session is Buddhist Education. This begins with my first trainings at 14 and continues until i stopped training in 2002 (that was my last retreat/teaching that i've attended in zen buddhism). The next section described my 'traditional education'--my BA and JD. Following this, i put "Media and Publications"--i indicate what is self published and self produced media. After this, i put Employment History that i've worked from when i started teaching for pay which was 6 or so years ago. following this, i put the workshops that i have taught that are specialized, when, and where i taught them. this is to help employers see what sorts of things that i teach specificly--generally, i'm asking studios to hire me or allow me to teach workshops through their facility.

My resume is far shorter. It's two pages: yoga education, buddhist education, education, professional organizations, media/publications, employment history. I usually use this for gyms or other facilities that aren't necessarily yoga facilities. They're going to look at these basics--does she have a certification, does she have regular employment as a teacher or is she new, etc.

All of these have very different purposes. When i'm striving to get a workshop into a studio that is far away, it takes a lot more effort. I send a 'package' of materials. For example, since i'm going to scandenavia in the summer, i'm trying to set up a few opportunities to teach workshops there. this will help defray some of my costs as business expenses as well as help me to earn money while there to cover expenses. I'm hoping to do two or three workshops (weekend or week day).

So, i've done online research to find studios in the areas where i'm going to be. I've written emails to these studios and told them of my plans and my interest. I informed them that i would be sending them a package of my materials shortly. And then i'll follow up. Right now, the package consists of: 1. cover letter; 2. proposal for the workshop; 3. a copy of my brochure; 4. a copy of my CV; 5. 4 letters of recommendation from employers (studio owners who have had me teach workshops at their facility), students/clients, and my teacher; 6. a copy of my workbooks and other print materials that i use in my classes; and 7. a copy of my self-produced video (which will be finished in feb).

Two of the studios have written back already, before recieving the package to discuss the sorts of needs of their clientele, what their interests are, and to determine whether or not their interests and my abilities match up. So far, things look very promising in this regard. I've told the studios that i've contacted that they will recieve a package at the end of Feb. I've already sent the preliminary package which includes a cover letter, a brief proposal letter (which includes a reference to the larger package coming end of Feb), my brochure and a resume.

Marketing is a difficult process--no question. What to include, what not to include, when to include it--these things are important considerations. On things like resumes, i do not include it, as it doesn't seem relevant. But, it is functional in other places--such as the different sorts of bios that i have and when i would use them. I've never had anyone have a problem with my promotional and marketing materials--including the claim of 25 years experience pracitcing yoga.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-23 11:39 AM (#41738 - in reply to #41732)

zoebird - 2006-01-23 10:57 AM

the original post asked for my bio. I gave the two bios that i use, depending upon the space available.

Sure for a professional position, not for a write up in Who's Who in Yoga. Thus it's a representation of your professional life, much the same as a resume.

I've never had anyone have a problem with my promotional and marketing materials--including the claim of 25 years experience pracitcing yoga.

Fine, but that really doesn't mean anything. I had my current car for about a month before I figured out that there wasn't a key hole or button to open the trunk.

Doesn't look like this is going anywhere. If you're comfortable making this claim, then do so. I don't think I would, so I won't.

Posted 2006-01-23 12:31 PM (#41743 - in reply to #41255)

GJ:

uhm, since i've never had a problem with it, and no one else has, then i'll continue to use it. you brought it up, harped on it, and whatever.
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-01-23 4:43 PM (#41752 - in reply to #41255)

I was thinking the same thing . . . you were giving some tips to someone else who was asking for help, not submitting your own resume for critique. It definitely doesn't sound like you have trouble finding work, so I don't know what the issue is!

Geez, who cares!
Kabu
Posted 2006-01-23 5:30 PM (#41756 - in reply to #41752)

Well, I think what happens is that once you put info out there on a message board, it's fair game for healthy discussion (which explains why so many threads go off topic). It seems to be a natural progression.

I learned a long time ago not bring up anything I'm unwilling to discuss further.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-23 7:28 PM (#41762 - in reply to #41756)

Expert Yogi

Smart girl, Lori I suspect that ZB's resume, bio, cv, whatever, work for her because she is who she is. But it may not be an ideal model for everyone. Yep, that's about it...
Kabu
Posted 2006-01-24 9:38 AM (#41790 - in reply to #41762)

I also learned not put anything up that you'll regret saying later (like unkind words or personal stuff you'd rather not have people in your offline life know about).

Example: My Krav instructors frequent the same Krav forum I do. They saw my comment about a particular drill that I hate, and guess what drill was waiting for me my next class...

They thought it was pretty funny.

Posted 2006-01-24 3:35 PM (#41803 - in reply to #41255)

you're largely right, tourist.

obviously, i have no trouble describing or discussing why i made the decisions that i did, and they are many and varied. part of it is to indicate how yoga has informed my life as a whole. For me the question of 'when do you find time to practice?" which so often comes from new, busy teachers, is that i've always practiced so i never have to find the time. New teachers, who hardly had established a practice before they started teaching, really get in a time crunch for it once they do. I even had a teacher-studio owner say to me (when i no longer came to class there because of my schedule) "we all need to remember to take the time for our own practice! If you don't practice, you can't teach!" To which i replied, "of course, which is why i have my dedicated home practice. I take classes when i can."

Also, it took me many years to get my marketing materials together. writing a bio is probably one of the toughest things that i've ever had to do. First, i don't care to toot my own horn. I may think that i'm the best thing since sliced bread or the worst thing since black mold, but i certainly don't want to say that on any bio. And, i'm likely somwehere in the middle anyway--but how to i make myself stand out from all the other yoga teachers?

Mostly, as someone suggested, read bios. I read so many bios all over the place, and finally chose Larry Payne and Ana Forrest bios as my models. Then, i wrote my bio and now i continue to use it. It works for me, but it's not like I didn't put any time or consideration into it.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-24 4:26 PM (#41808 - in reply to #41803)

zoebird - 2006-01-24 3:35 PM

obviously, i have no trouble describing or discussing why i made the decisions that i did, and they are many and varied. part of it is to indicate how yoga has informed my life as a whole. For me the question of 'when do you find time to practice?" which so often comes from new, busy teachers, is that i've always practiced so i never have to find the time. New teachers, who hardly had established a practice before they started teaching, really get in a time crunch for it once they do.

Yeah, I've seen this with a lot of new teachers. I think that teaching also adds to "yoga time", so that you can get the feeling that all you're doing is yoga. This is part of the reason I'm not keen on teaching, I'm too selfish about my yoga time, and don't want to share it.

I may think that i'm the best thing since sliced bread or the worst thing since black mold, but i certainly don't want to say that on any bio. And, i'm likely somwehere in the middle anyway--but how to i make myself stand out from all the other yoga teachers?

I doubt you're in the middle. Probably on the high side of the curve, particular when you fact in all the weekend-warrior teachers. FWIW, I think I've got a new slogan for the ZB fan club, "Better than sliced bread, worse than the mold." Almost as good as the "I fart, burb, and pick my nose, I'm basically disgusting" comment.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-24 9:31 PM (#41829 - in reply to #41803)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2006-01-24 12:35 PM
First, i don't care to toot my own horn.

Veering slightly off topic here This reminds me of a conversation I had with a Japanese aquaintance who had to do a bio/cv/resume to get a graduate school job. She had NO idea how to begin and was horribly embarrassed when her western friends told her what she had to put in it. It is just not considered culturally appropriate in Japan to do such a thing. She said that in Japan the job of recommending her would be done by a teacher or some other superior and that she would never have to so much as show her diploma. Fascinating conversation!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-24 10:15 PM (#41836 - in reply to #41255)

There's a similar culture in the midwest. People almost go out of their way to make rude jokes about themselves, or find other ways to put themselves down. It also seems to go along with a lot of insult/sarcasm comments. The really twisted bit of the whole thing is that it works in reverse. The nastier you are to your friends, the greater the level of intimacy you're really displaying. Same thing with self-depreciating humor.

This doesn't seem to be the case as much on the coasts, or maybe I just ran into a lot of people who were very much about tooting their own horns because they had to.
Kabu
Posted 2006-01-24 10:27 PM (#41840 - in reply to #41836)

GreenJello
There's a similar culture in the midwest. People almost go out of their way to make rude jokes about themselves, or find other ways to put themselves down. It also seems to go along with a lot of insult/sarcasm comments. The really twisted bit of the whole thing is that it works in reverse. The nastier you are to your friends, the greater the level of intimacy you're really displaying. Same thing with self-depreciating humor.

There is quite a bit of teasing, I'll give you that. And if you can't take it, you catch a lot of heat for THAT too.
booga
Posted 2006-01-27 5:10 PM (#42114 - in reply to #41255)

A bio for marketing is very different than a true "biography". A bio traditionally means a general cap of who you are. If you are new and do not have a lot of experience, then you can get more creative and include your styles, what drives you, and what you hope to show your students.
If you have more experience, you can certainly go into who you studied with, who you feel are inspirations and what you have done in your career for students.
I am guessing this is for teaching specifically..so the focus is on "the student"...

I usually agree with Zoe but I don't agree AT ALL that a cover letter should ever be more than one page. A four page CL...snore! No professional has time to read that much for something that is a sales tool essentially. If you can't cap yourself at one page, your issue isn't that you've done a lot, it's that you can't be concise.

Posted 2006-02-02 10:31 AM (#42654 - in reply to #41255)

i agree that a cover letter should be no more than one page. and with that, a lot of white space. quite honestly, most cover letters are about 3 paragraphs long, with no more than 15 sentences.

but, resumes and CVs are different. Resumes are, on average, one to two pages long. My resume is two pages. CVs, on the other hand, are meant to be as long as necessary. My father's CV, for example, is over 80 pages long. As a well published, well educated, and well connected scientist, he lists most things on his CV, unless the elements are proprietary to his place of employment. Do people read his CV? the answer is yes. About 4 times a week, my father is offered a new position somewhere, and they ask for his CV. When they do the initial phone interview (when my father decides whether or not he'll even consider the job), he discovers that they'll often ask questions about something on page 57 or so.

In the yoga industry, most people don't use CVs, but that's because they find other ways to give workshops and what not. For example, i don't think that beryl bender birch has to send a CV to anyone. But, if i'm moving to a new area, who the hell knows me? A CV serves me better than a resume, overall, to get a clearer picture of my accomplishments, experience, and ideology. Granted, most people get jobs via recommendations, and not through their materials. But, when i'm trying to break into an area where i don't have a recommendation, i need to be as clear in my presentation as possible, and concise isn't necessarily the best choice.

But, i do like to send as many of my materials as i can. While the potential employer in question may not look at all of them or read them, it still helps serve me by giving them a picture of the way i behave--largely a sense of professionalism. I think that it demonstrates that i care greatly about my work. I think, too, that people tend to be impressed overall by a person who sends whatever they can, when they cannot be there themselves.

I tend to take a process--when it is long distance--like this: first, i call the future employer in question and ask about availability (right now, for workshops); next, after this conversation, i send my package of materials (which, at the end of this month, will also include my video); then, i call to make certain that my materials arrived and to answer any questions regarding thos materials; if they haven't looked over the materials yet, i make an appointment to call and talk to them at a specific time; i then make this follow up call and negotiate a workshop; finally, i write up a letter of intent and have it notorized, asking for a similar letter from them. If i make the second phone call and they decide that they do not want to do a workshop with me, i ask for feedback regarding my materials, and i also ask if there might be an opportunity in the future for such things. If so, i make appointments to call back later. If i'm given a flat rejection, i'll call back in a few months to see if the situation has changed and start the process again.

regardless of materials, it seems that persistance is the real key.
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-18 7:08 PM (#44008 - in reply to #41255)

Expert Yogi

Here's my cover letter. By all means copy and paste. I employed help with my resume.

Dear (Employers name),

My experience in the fitness industry, as a Certified Fitness/Yoga/Pilates Instructor, has led me to present the enclosed Resume as an expression of my interest in securing a challneging and growth oriented opportunity. I am determined to succeed in any endeavor I undertake.

Over the years, I have structured my life to advance both personally and professionally. I have a strong commitment to the successful development and application of my capabilities and knowledge.

Challenge and success have come to be synonymous to me. My proven ability to connect with individuals, motivate, and implement challenging goalshas brought praise and respect from others. Throughout my background, I have established objectives in all areas of my involvement. A hard working and ambitious professional, I consider my ability to relate and communicate effectively with others one of my most significant assets.

The resume summarizes my background and attributes. As there is more to relate, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you to specifically discuss how I could contribute to your organization.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Attach your resume.

I have to admit, this is totally me. My work ethics are great!

Peace out peeps!
Mishy
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-18 8:18 PM (#44018 - in reply to #44008)

Pretty cool. Assuming this is a cut n paste, there are a couple of typos. Also, I was under the impression that a cover letter was supposed to be individually directed at the company you were interested in apply with, is this not so?
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-18 8:37 PM (#44020 - in reply to #41255)

Expert Yogi

I had to type it in. My computer just crashed last week with a bad virus. We had to format. I printed everything out on paper and went through the format.
It's my typing that sucks.

And yes, you're correct. you do direct it to the specific interests but this is pretty much my field. fitness and communications. My love is yoga.

Anyone could reword, tweek this a little, and own it
Hiya Green!!!
Mish
tourist
Posted 2006-02-18 9:07 PM (#44025 - in reply to #44020)

Expert Yogi

"goalshas" had me chuckling - I wondered why you were throwing Sanskrit in the middle of the letter or was it maybe somehting about galoshes? I love typos.

We've been hiring at work lately and I do get tired of the biz-speak cover letter. I just want to meet the person and see what they are really like. Especially in my job (early childhood education) I wish people would put their personalities on the page and use stickers and tell us what their favourite kid's book is or something. But this is the way it is right now and we seem to have to go with it. Creative professions have a bit more fun - dvd's with music videos etc. are apparently great for artistes. I know a toy designer whose business card is a plastic toy that you can take apart and rebuild yourself
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-18 9:14 PM (#44027 - in reply to #41255)

Expert Yogi

Tourist...... Ahahahahahaha
Honestly though, is this the kind of resume you would skim past? I ask this professionally.
Just Me

Edited by mishoga 2006-02-18 9:15 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)