YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

shower temperature
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

twiliteecho
Posted 2005-02-20 3:47 PM (#17285)
Subject: shower temperature

A couple of friends invited me to a bikram class next week. From what I understand, I can expect to shower in the locker room immediately after class (something I'm really embarassed about)!!

I'm curious, what temperature do you shower with to prevent soreness? Also is "safe" to shower right after being in such a hot room for so long??

Karen
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-20 4:22 PM (#17292 - in reply to #17285)
Subject: RE: shower temperature

Expert Yogi

Hi Karen,

Don't take a Cold Shower after doing Bikram, you will regret it!  You will have pain in your joints and muscles.  Take a warm or hot shower.  When you go to the outside temperature, you should wear warm clothes..unless it is summertime.  The basic rule is to not go from one temperature extreme to the other.  Cool the body down slowly and judge your body and how you feel.  I like to take a hot bath...in fact, right after Savansana, I have the hot bath ready, when I am at home.  I sometimes add a few drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil which helps with soreness.  When I am normally taking a bath (not after Bikram) I add Peppermint too for soreness.  Peppermint is too cooling right after doing the series.  Hope this helps.  My husband is a certified fitness trainer/body builder and agrees with everything I said.  He was Mr. Everest in 1997 - in  lightweight training.

MrD
Posted 2005-02-20 9:38 PM (#17320 - in reply to #17285)

Karen, while you don't have to use the showers, I would definitely recommend it. You will be soaked and will feel much better with a shower. Now in Ashtanga I get really wet, but with Bikram with the additional heat you will be positively dripping. Your clothes will literally be wriging wet. Showers are highly recommended.

I keep the shower temperature pretty hot too. I tried it cold and it's a pretty good shock. Our Bikram studio actually supplies peppermint soap in our showers. It defnitely cools the skin. A real woah baby if you know what I mean. With the warm shower it's exhilirating. Personally I went out and bought a bottle for my personal showers at home.

How much experience do you have with yoga?

Edited by MrD 2005-02-20 9:51 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-20 9:47 PM (#17322 - in reply to #17320)

Expert Yogi

Putting Peppermint on your body when you are real hot is like sitting in a tub of ice cubes - brrrrrrrr.... The EO (essential oil) is probably more potent than your average bar or liquid soap, but that all depends on the maker of course.  I guess that's why the candy cane forest only grows in the North Pole:~

Cyndi - who watched "Elf" too many times this winter, LOL!! 

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-20 9:49 PM (#17323 - in reply to #17320)

Expert Yogi

I noticed that the women in Bikram were less needful of the shower than the men,
so you may be able to skip it, at least, until you get home. When I did Bikram,
I could saturate two large bath towels with my sweat, not to mention anything I
might be wearing (less is more) and the surroundings. I always showered.

It's a marvelously messy drippy sweating all hang out practice, come to think of it.
Oh, the humanity!!!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-20 9:52 PM (#17324 - in reply to #17323)

Expert Yogi

Oh God...that reminds me of when you get to Rabbit - does your towel slip on your heels???  Or how bout ' your in Balancing Stick or Standing Bow and you slip on your sweat!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)