YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Dialogue
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Andre
Posted 2007-04-20 2:40 PM (#83848)
Subject: The Dialogue

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for everyone offering their experiences and views regarding Bikrams Teacher Training. I've practiced Bikrams for about 3 years. 2 very intensely. It's been life saving, dealing with depression post separation and divorce. It's not only helped heal a heart, I've also shed and held off 25 pounds, and rehabbed a knee. Pretty cool.

But it's the soul that lead me to want to know more about Yoga, and still consider doing Teacher Training. I had a set back, that was somewhat surprising. I didn't get a letter of recommendation. That's not the only barrier, but it lead to me examining why I wanted to go. Teaching isn't my main reason. Sure, I'd like to be certified--teaching mostly for trade. And I want to teach/develop a child's class, (I've done it with my daughter). But mostly, I want to go straight to the source. I realized, what I wanted was the dialogue.

Some people ridicule the dialogue. It's boring or routine. But I find that as I get father into the poses and learn them, the refinement is indeed in the dialogue. And for me, it's not just the series, or the workout, or the quiet or better self esteem... it's the satisfaction of nailing the pose, or being able to breathe through a fear and calm the mind and body to achieve it.

I have 4-5 strong postures. And every time I make a big leap, it's because I'm finally paying attention to the dialogue. It's that simple.

I came to realize, maybe I don't need to spend $10,000 at this time in my life to go to teacher training. I'm not sure I want to teach. I want to practice. But how do I ethically get a copy of the dialogue? That's my conundrum.

EDIT: Now that's frustrating, I thought I was replying to the 2005 Teacher Training thread.

Edited by DJ Dre 2007-04-20 2:42 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
AKBrooker1
Posted 2007-04-20 4:32 PM (#83853 - in reply to #83848)
Subject: RE: The Dialogue

DJ Dre, I will give more thought to your desire to have a script but I'm very curious as to your teacher's/studio's explanation for not giving you their recommendation. Rick
Cyndi
Posted 2007-04-20 5:02 PM (#83856 - in reply to #83848)

Expert Yogi

Why do you need Bikram's dialogue??? You know it, make your own dialogue and teach what you know.  All you have to do is get his tape and CD...that's 2 versions of it.  Get on the net, there are other teachers out there with their versions that you can buy.  Just pick what you'd like to say, practice it and go from there.  If you do it this way, you can learn how to do it safely, with alignment, and customized to fit whatever you want it to be.  IMO, that's better than having spent $10,000.  Just don't call your yoga "Bikram's Yoga" or anything with Bikram attached to it and you'll be fine.  That's what I'd do and I just may one of these days!

Posted 2007-04-20 5:31 PM (#83860 - in reply to #83856)

With Sister Cyndi's Mountain Munchies available for sale after class--good thinking!
Andre
Posted 2007-04-20 7:02 PM (#83868 - in reply to #83848)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi: while I know much of it in my head, I'm a lyrics junkie, and I want to know it as it's intended before/if I make my own modifications. From what I know of it, it's been purposefully distilled to the bare minimum. And while she will help and give her external observation, one of my teachers is fond of saying, look to the dialogue for your answers, it's there. In my own practice, when I finally make a breakthrough, it's usually because I pay attention to the dialogue. I should say, I'm not a follower. I just want to know it inside and out. I don't want it to be gatekept from me, I don't want to rely on someone else's access to the dialogue when I have a question.

Rick: I have a great deal of admiration for my home studio owner. So I'm not sure I should reveal much in a public forum. It was surprising and not surprising at the same time. She may have been right on one element, and there may have been conflicts based on personal and personality issues.

Edited by DJ Dre 2007-04-20 7:03 PM
*Alisha*
Posted 2007-04-25 7:39 AM (#84144 - in reply to #83848)

Good luck Dre! I would love to hear about your progress on your journey.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)