YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting Qualified.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Spagirlz.ca
Posted 2006-01-17 6:11 PM (#41224)
Subject: Getting Qualified.

What makes one 'qualified'... hours of practice or doing the test...
There are many yoga instructors out there... but how many of them are actually certified teachers of the art.
I myself would love to share yoga with people/family/friends, but what makes me qualified to do so without stepping on toes!
What are the regulations! (in Ontario)

I would love to take some certification courses, but my schedule just doesn't let me get out to do these things.

any suggestions... any help?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-01-17 7:36 PM (#41231 - in reply to #41224)
Subject: RE: Getting Qualified.

Expert Yogi

Hi Veronica - there are many ways to be qualified to teach yoga. You can do one weekend certs or go the full distance and do Iyengar certification - mine took 4 years. If you are just sharing with friends, that is great. If you want to charge money, you should find a way to do some serious study. It would make a great addition to your spa biz!
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-01-18 4:58 AM (#41265 - in reply to #41224)

A lot of teachers that I know studied for 3 years at least prior to becoming a teacher, most of them for 5 years to be honest.

The British Wheel of Yoga (if you are in the UK) is a good qualification as is the Yoga Alliance qualification and they are recognised everywhere.

There's a lot to learn before teaching, like anatomy, understanding different bodies, the art of adjustment, as well as developing a deep practice, and many more other things.

Most teachers do frequent workshops to continue to learn with people like Nancy Gilgoff, monsieur swenson and others.

I think for family and friends the word is more showing yoga rather than teaching it, and that's ok you can do it whenever. Just never adjust, use verbal guidance.

have fun!

Posted 2006-01-18 9:00 AM (#41271 - in reply to #41224)

i find that if you're teaching friends and family for free, then there's really no qualification needed other than the desire to share. But, if you're looking to work as a yoga teacher, there are many kinds of qualifications.

i recommend that if you want to teach professionally (part or full time), that you consider a 200 hr or 500 hr teacher training that suits your style/interests/needs, after at least 1 year of dedicated practice (including a home practice).
tourist
Posted 2006-01-18 10:10 AM (#41293 - in reply to #41271)

Expert Yogi

Yes, I would say that to teach the main qualification is a consistent practice. And practice would include continuing education and study. Sharing and showing with friends and family is cool, though. That is really how I started and when my teacher heard I was doing that she suggested teacher training.
LHKC
Posted 2006-01-19 5:22 AM (#41405 - in reply to #41224)

I think if you wish to become qualified you must...well you must try to meet the needs of everyone possible even though it may seem impossible but everyone you teach will be different they all have different bodies and physicla structures. You should be able to work with the postures for beginners and advanced students. But if you are teaching your family and friends just have fun and enjoy the time you spend with them also inform them about the medical injuries I lovw when yoga teachers do that it makes me feel alot more comfortable.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-19 10:36 AM (#41417 - in reply to #41405)

Expert Yogi

LHKC - what exactly do you mean by medical injuries? Do you mean she should inform them of how they could injure themselves doing yoga or that yoga can help heal injuries?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)