YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back injury after class
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Bib
Posted 2007-02-28 4:45 PM (#78926)
Subject: Back injury after class

I started Bikram about 5 weeks ago and loved it. I went to class about 3 times a week and felt it was the best workout I ever did. I felt so much better after each class. I had a great instructor as well.

After a recent class, my lower back began to tighten up. I woke up the next day with terrible pain in my lower back (the most physical pain I have ever had). I could barely walk and could not bend over. I had to miss several days of work. (I have had some previous instances of back pain before, but nothing like this).

I still need some time to heal, but wonder if its ok to go back to Bikram yoga ? Any thoughts from experienced students or instructors? I really loved the classes, and thought it was helping, but I dont want to injure myself worse.

Edited by Bib 2007-02-28 4:46 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-02-28 6:47 PM (#78933 - in reply to #78926)
Subject: RE: Back injury after class

Expert Yogi

Hi bib - it really seems to depend on what sort of instructors you have. If they are able to give you modifications and watch you carefully to see that you don't reinjure yourself, you might be ok. If they are the sort who ONLY recite the monologue and tell students to go deeper, you might be in trouble. Maybe the other Bikramites here will be able to help more. Take care of your back!

Posted 2007-03-05 1:24 PM (#79242 - in reply to #78926)

definately talk to your teacher about the pain you experienced and are experiencing. a good teacher will know what to do.

i've been taking classes at a local studio that does a bikram-inspired series (they call it 'stationary series) and while the teacher was/is experienced, with her was a new teacher assisting. they have been using this "scoop the tailbone" language (which refers to mula bandha).

so, there i am doing the half-moon series, and this new teacher comes over and says "no, SCOOP the tailbone" and gives this assist that causes me to tuck the tailbone forward and then said "now draw the inner thighs back." and then i had SEARING pain across my sacrum that lasted--in constant burning unless i sat or stood up with mula bandha in--for 3 days. i thought that perhaps my sacrum was just "locked" and that perhaps i wasn't doing the right 'amount' of mula bandha. i knew i'd ask once i got back to class, but i needed a break, AND, i needed to figure out what SCOOP meant.

over those three days, i rested and simply did things to calm that area down. when i returned to class on the 4th day, the assistant teacher came to say "no, SCOOP the tailbone" and i said "please, don't touch me, i'm dealing with a sacrum injury." and she said "ok" and walked off. Then, the experienced teacher said "sadie, her tailbone is already scooped. see, that's the shape of her bottom, not the positioning of the tailbone." i asked the teacher after class if 'scoop' meant mula bandha, and she said "yes, but we've moved away from the mula bandha language because people get confused.'

seems to me, people are more confused abotu "scoop" because in talking to the other students, nearly all of the had, at some point, the searing pain across their sacrum.

it's all better now, thank goodness.
laylie99
Posted 2007-03-05 7:42 PM (#79280 - in reply to #78926)

I started Bikram yoga because of my lower back pain. I've been at it for over a year now and I am so glad I started.

Over all, I have had a huge amount of relief and I feel much more flexible, but there are definitley times that I've pushed a bit too far and been pretty sore the next day. I think it's normal to be sore, but not in the worst pain of your life like you describe. I'm sorry! ouch!

For me, the worst back pain comes after a normal-seeming activity, like standing on wood floors during a party, working at my desk, etc... but never from yoga. I've had episodes like the one you've described where it seems impossible to even walk. I would never suggest going to class if you're in that kind of pain or even the next day. (not that you could actually make it to class )

But I would suggest going to class again after you're feeling better, just be aware of your body and listen to your back. Be especially careful in backward bending poses like Camel.

I hope your episode was just an isolated event... and that more practice will help you like it has helped me.

I am a classical violist and before yoga, I constantly had neck and lower back pain/spasms and aching after rehearsals. Now I can sit through a 3 hour concert and I feel like I can keep going. Good luck and stay with it!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-05 9:20 PM (#79286 - in reply to #78926)

Bib - 2007-02-28 4:45 PM

I started Bikram about 5 weeks ago and loved it. I went to class about 3 times a week and felt it was the best workout I ever did. I felt so much better after each class. I had a great instructor as well.

After a recent class, my lower back began to tighten up. I woke up the next day with terrible pain in my lower back (the most physical pain I have ever had). I could barely walk and could not bend over. I had to miss several days of work. (I have had some previous instances of back pain before, but nothing like this).

I still need some time to heal, but wonder if its ok to go back to Bikram yoga ? Any thoughts from experienced students or instructors? I really loved the classes, and thought it was helping, but I dont want to injure myself worse.

Dear Bib: What are you asking. If your back is paining you need rest, not exercise. Taking rest is the exercise while back is paining. Though the back injury was felt after that class, you still do not exact cause of it. So, you can not be sure whether the exercise has anything to do with it. Also, if you were in a group class, the instructor would not know relation between your back, your injury and all various exercise he gave, unless he watching each student closely as I do if the number of students is 5 or max 10.

So, just take it easy. Once your pain goes away, take private class in terms of improving the back first. And, then go to groupd classes.

If you feel bored at home, go and watch the class!
Bib
Posted 2007-03-14 6:18 PM (#80067 - in reply to #78926)

This is the orginal poster here, THANKS SO MUCH for everyones replies.

The first 2-4 days the pain was severe and I had problems walking let alone bending over. I had to call in sick to work because the pain was so bad. Over the last 2 weeks, the pain has been reduced by say 90%, but its still a little sore.

Of course I would not go back until its has totally healed, but I stil have some reservations about going back after it hopefully heals 100%.

I keep reading about the hundreds of people Bikram has helped with back pain, but it created some serious pain in me ! I wonder if the high temperatures can allow someone to stretch beyond what is normal and injure themselves. I loved Bikram yoga and would hate to never do it again.

Any more thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated.....

Edited by Bib 2007-03-14 6:19 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-14 6:53 PM (#80069 - in reply to #80067)

Bib - 2007-03-14 6:18 PM

This is the orginal poster here, THANKS SO MUCH for everyones replies.

The first 2-4 days the pain was severe and I had problems walking let alone bending over. I had to call in sick to work because the pain was so bad. Over the last 2 weeks, the pain has been reduced by say 90%, but its still a little sore.

Of course I would not go back until its has totally healed, but I stil have some reservations about going back after it hopefully heals 100%.

I keep reading about the hundreds of people Bikram has helped with back pain, but it created some serious pain in me ! I wonder if the high temperatures can allow someone to stretch beyond what is normal and injure themselves. I loved Bikram yoga and would hate to never do it again.

Any more thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated.....

Yes, you are wondering wonderfully correct. Hot temperature gives a false feeling of flexibility and the same happens with hot shower, massage, hot tea or hot coffee in various degrees. In Yoga, you are suppose to become flexible from inside and not due to outside!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)