YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First Bikram Yoga Class.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

MrD
Posted 2004-12-28 7:22 PM (#14083)
Subject: First Bikram Yoga Class.

I've been practicing yoga for 2 years. mainly power yoga, with a little gentle and restorative yoga for diversion. My daughter came into town. She had been doing some type of Sauna therapy where you heat up from aerobics, then get into the sauna for about 45 minutes to detox.

So I tried the hot yoga because she was interested.

We had a choice of 2 sites in the area. I picked the southern one because it was newer, because I've heard others complain about the "smell" from the older Northern Studio, and of course because it was closer.

We got to the studio just in time. They had us sign a release and whisked us into the studio because the class was starting. Here are my impressions:

1. DAAANG, that place was hot, I've had saunas that were about that temperature, and I was supposed to exercise in that heat!!! I usually do yoga in long pants, but since I wear shorts underneath anyway, I was able to take them off immediately. They put us in a line, and didn't stagger the yoga mats. Glad I wasn't doing a series of sun salutations. We would have bumped.

2. I had the foresight to bring a bottle of water, a large towel, and a small one. I didn't have the foresight to bring 2 (needed for the shower).

3. It was strange to see so many males in the class. Most of them were middle aged like I am, but unfortunately most of them were also quite round. Not the best look if youknowwhattImean. I am not used to being the skinniest guy in the classs. I kept my shirt on. Just shy I guess.

4. Now the women on the other hand were mostly in sports bras and shorts -- even less clothing than a standard yoga class. Is this the real reason that more men do Bikram Yoga?

5. I was surprised to see that most of the poses were familiar, and it was clear that I had hot yoga classes without the heat before. I would consider them basic, and for someone wanting more advanced poses like inversions and arm balances a little disconcerting that the were all from the first series in Ashtanga, and not more advanced. There weren't any core poses either. I thought, Crap, I'm getting stuck in a Gym yoga class one more time.

6. Ironically though, I found that the instructor soon pushed me to and as he kept saying "beyond your flexibility limit." With the heat it was true. I could bend farther with less stress than if I had been in a normal temperature studio.

7. I found my heart beating fast, but I was not breath challenged like I am doing power yoga. Never once lost the breath rhythm. Definitely not Aeorbic.

8. Eagle was just as much a Pain the butt, or rather shoulders for me. I have tight rhomboids,so the arms are difficult. I was able to sit lower than normal however, which was cool.

9. I was astonished when the instructor, shirtless of course, put on a microphone and started giving pep talks along with pose guidance. I thought, "I don't want a coach, I want an instructor." But that feeling wore off as I got used to the style. But the practice was still do, do, and nothing of examining how you feel. This surprised since the web site promised "Expand your mind, open your heart." Didn't feel that. My daughter did however.

10. I usually use a strap with standing head to knee pose. He said I wouldn't need it. So I put it away. Probably could have used it, but not if you follow his instructions to a tee.

11. Our standing poses ended of course with the triangle. I did a wrong at first since the Bikram triangle is what I know as side angle pose. I was astonished that that the last 3 standing poses were done with our feet off of the mat. The floor was somewhat sticky, but not as good as my mat or towel.

12. They went into savassana in the middle of the routine, not only did they do it once, but many times. The frustrating thing is that I was so hot at that time that I pretty well needed everyone of them.

13. Unlike most gym yoga classes the floor series was significant. Loved it.

14. Final savassana didn't have an end. You just got up and left when you felt like it. So being a newbie with my eyes closed. I didn't notice that most people were leaving.

I would have to say it was interesting.

We're going back on Saturday.

Edited by MrD 2004-12-28 7:36 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-12-28 7:33 PM (#14085 - in reply to #14083)
Subject: RE: First Bikram Yoga Class.

Good summary of your experience. I've been just the reverse--2 years of Bikram then branching out to Ahstanga & Power. The instructors are a strange mix--they all have the Bikram monologue down but for some, that's it. Some advise, some don't. Some treat the practice like a high school gym class, some actually invite you to mediatate. Whatever the mix, it IS strangely addicting--shallenging for we western males raised with Johnny Unitas, Muhammed Ali, and Secretariat--"let's beat this heat and this teacher dammit!" But, like you said, the asanas aren't unique. A continuing Bikram practice gave me a hellofagood foundation for the vinyasa ashtanga I've migrated to. While my feet remain far from my head no matter how I try, I can do any freaking triangle any ancient yogi can cook up--bring 'em on!
MrD
Posted 2005-01-03 1:55 PM (#14273 - in reply to #14083)

Thanks Bruce.

My real surprise from the Bikram class was when I went to a standard one the next day. I found that I could get farther on tough stretching poses like Double pidgeon.

OH, NO I"m Hooked on yet another type of yoga.

Posted 2005-01-03 2:33 PM (#14275 - in reply to #14273)

Yep--now you get to buy yet more class cards--watch out for those freaking expiration dates! One other thing about Bikram I've noticed, there are asanas wher everybody can excel as well as be humiliated. For men I find the "awkward pose," triangle and rabbit can give us a boost by being able to perform them well. And if we get too cocky, Bikram throws in the standing bow and eagle so we can be properly humbled.
MrD
Posted 2005-01-04 3:25 PM (#14333 - in reply to #14275)

Well the first passI bought is that I get to attend any classes I want for 10 days for the price of two sessions. I'm sure it's to get you hooked, but since I already am it won't be a problem. My daughter kept commenting how much looser she felt after class. We went cross crountry skiing and she was astonished at how much longer her strides were, and how much looser her body felt. Dang, she's got my tight genes.

2 heated studios that I used to attend closed down almost at the same time a couple of months ago. Some instrutors have chosen alternate sites, but they are rented rooms that can't be heated. I've felt my hamstrings just get tighter and tighter. Bikram freed them right up. That's a real plus for me. I definitely do better in heat.

Unfortunately it's over a 40 minute drive, and the schedule doesn't do a late class. I get off at 6, and class starts at 6:30. So that's going to be my obstacle.

Posted 2005-01-04 3:44 PM (#14334 - in reply to #14333)

Ray,
It depends on the studio owner of course but my favorite Bikram boss, Carol, here in San ANtonio is very open to adjusting the schedule to accomodate. For example, if a 7PM 2 days a week would work for you, your studio's boss may be able to swing that. Hey, don't hurt to ask n'cest pas?
Good luck
itchytummy
Posted 2005-01-04 9:52 PM (#14350 - in reply to #14334)

Hey, I know what you mean about feeling looser. I'm already quite naturally flexible, but after a Bikram class, I'm practically a contortionist!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)