YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pulmonary embolism
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Kym
Posted 2006-03-30 10:53 AM (#48272)
Subject: pulmonary embolism

My mom suffereed a pulmonary embolism yesterday and survived, which is rare. She's going to be in the hospital for up to 10 days,maybe more, while the rest of the clot in her leg dissapates. The reason I'm posting this here is b/c before we knew what was going on, and just thought it was a clot in the vein sitting in the ER, I told her to breath in 3, exhale 6. (Got that from the Coulter book-said it was good for people hyperventalating and my mom was really stressing-BP going up, etc.) Today, knowing what's going on (and I'm stressing & breathing in 3, out 6!) I'm wondering if certain breathing excercises can help her. Her lungs (or the atreries and veins-not sure about the details) are filled with so much blood that she has only 10% usage of her lungs. The blood will take up to 3 months to dissapate.

Any thoughts on what can help? What can hurt? I'm going to go back to my Coulter book and re-read. I'm going to ask the Dr before I suggest anything to her. I'd like to help, if can, but God knows I don't want to hurt.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-03-30 10:59 AM (#48275 - in reply to #48272)
Subject: RE: pulmonary embolism

Expert Yogi

Kym - I am so sorry! What a stressful time for you and your Mom. Gentle, unforced breathing is the key, I would say. Absolutely NO retention of breath either in or out. Just smooth and easy. So if she is out of breath by 4 or 5, breathe in again without pushing. Take care of yourself and your family. We are here for you.

Posted 2006-03-30 11:01 AM (#48278 - in reply to #48272)

get the details about what the problem is that is causing her to only be able to use a small percentage of her lung capacity. once you know the problem, you can find the right solution. if you're having trouble finding it, bring the details here and i'll try to help out as best i can.

i hope for a speedy recovery for your mom!
mishoga
Posted 2006-03-30 2:13 PM (#48299 - in reply to #48272)

Expert Yogi

Aw Kym, I'm so sorry.
Mish
Kym
Posted 2006-03-30 2:58 PM (#48302 - in reply to #48272)

ZB-her lungs are covered in blood clots. Her heart is working extra hard to get oxegyn to the body since the lungs are compromised. Tourist, I was thinking the same thing about no breath retention. You know, really, I'm finding out that this is way serious and I will probably not say anything, at least for a long time, about breathing exercises. But, if anyone does know anything, I'd be happy to learn. I've been doing alternate nostril breathing myself in the car-it helps. ;)
tourist
Posted 2006-03-30 4:41 PM (#48318 - in reply to #48302)

Expert Yogi

Well, they should put her in touch with a good respiratory therapist who can help her begin to recover. From the tiny bit I know about lung stuff (DH has asthma and his dad had emphysema) I think their therapies are pretty good and yoga-compatible. The trick is to get her to relax and not be scared to breathe, which may be harder than it seems. So if she will let you guide her through savasana or other guided relaxation, that may be best. Even a CD with yoga-y music, if she likes it, would be helpful. Since she is still in the hospital, figuring out how to make that less stressful helps as well. I remember my brother smuggling in his new puppy to see my mom when she was in recovering from surgery. Quite the highlight and gave us all something to talk about in later visits Do keep up your own self-care - I am told that breathing is highly recommended
mishoga
Posted 2006-03-30 4:53 PM (#48321 - in reply to #48272)

Expert Yogi

Tourist, your words are so kind. I wasn't completely sure but I thought deep relaxing breaths increases oxygen within the blood so the blodd can distribute to heal faster. I know a copuple of my students are breast cancer survivors and they were told to deep breath while in the hospital to speed recovery.
I realize it might be hard for her to relax, and I'm sure she's scared too. Kym, just help her relax. Let her feel your magic.

Once again, I feel so bad for you. Kym, be the strength. It hurts so bad when a parent falls ill.

Mish
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)