YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram and me
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Willi
Posted 2006-11-07 12:59 PM (#68960 - in reply to #65359)
Subject: RE: Bikram and me

I Live in Anmore so I ususally hike around the many trails around Buntzen, did Diez Vistas this morning with the headlamps at 5:30. Just went from our homes to the top and back down. Great Hike!!!

I am unbalanced also, I can now only do Eagle on the left side (since hiking), and the last twisting the same thing. It will be back soon I am sure. I also can't wait for Bikram to balance my body out. I am so glad I found Bikram, still loving it. I look forward to every practice
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-11-08 10:11 AM (#68984 - in reply to #68960)

Expert Yogi

Willi - lots of great hills out there and even damper than the North Shore, I think. Still, this Pineapple Express is keeping things warm so you can be out there at 5:30 and not freeze
MrD
Posted 2006-11-08 1:38 PM (#68995 - in reply to #68890)

Willi - 2006-11-06 11:34 AM

I have just started to get back into hiking training for the upcoming summer. I am doing some intense hikes with good elevation gains, and it sure is affecting my Bikram workouts. ITB bans much tighter, I am unable to get into Eagle now, and Tree is much stiffer also. I am sure with time I will be able to work through it, but its a bit frustrating. My Hamstings are also much tighter. I am still sticking to Bikram 4 -5 days a week, Its been over 3 Months now. 51 times so far

I like Bikram, but based on your descriptions, from one Hiker to another, you may want to consider expanding to a different type of yoga. You're not doing any down dogs, forward bends, Hip openers, or backbends to counterbalance your intensive hiking. I'd personally recommend Anusara or Iyenger, but I also adore Ashtanga and all of these will balance your hiking better IMO.

Edited by MrD 2006-11-08 1:43 PM
Willi
Posted 2006-11-08 4:35 PM (#69006 - in reply to #68995)

I got Eagle on both sides again today....happy guy!!!

I am addicted to Bikram right now and can't imagin doing any other yoga....I try to hold my forward bends for a bit each situp, and there is lots of backward bends in Bikram....Hip openers, I could use more of this but tree pose helps and fixed firm halps also....doesent it??

Thanks for the recommedations, once I get bored of Bikram (can't imagin that rihgt now) I will try either Anusara or Iyenger.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-11-08 11:16 PM (#69022 - in reply to #69006)

Expert Yogi

Hey Willi,

From another backpacker to another...doing Bikram definitely helps my hiking and backpacking abilities, especially steep uphill climbs (its so much smoother, I don't get out of breath and wiped out as much - go figure)....however, doing additional yoga asana's is even better. I've been taking a regular hatha yoga class once a week (on a regular basis) in addition to my Bikram practice for a couple of years now. It's amazing how classes that focus on "alignment" can make a world of difference with my Bikram practice, which is also focused on alignment because of the teacher. I find that I'm not "stressed" out while doing Bikram...its so wonderful and the best of both worlds. I hope you get to try it out some day, you would really like it.
MrD
Posted 2006-11-09 8:10 PM (#69076 - in reply to #65359)

Pleae understand I really like Bikram and would go more if it weren't 45 miles away. I agree that Bikram is balanced, but where bikram does say for example 3 hip openers an Anusara class may spend 30 minutes doing them. It can also improve Bikram practice as well. A little variety makes life interesting.
Willi
Posted 2006-11-09 10:33 PM (#69084 - in reply to #69076)

MrD - 2006-11-09 5:10 PM
A little variety makes life interesting.

Yes very true, I have so many sport I love, I tend to just switch over from one to another through the years (if only I had more time).

Before Bikram (4 months now) I did home Hatha yoga for about 3 years. I would do it 2-3 days a week off and on. I took one class to get started then picked poses I liked and created my own workout.

I am sure I will try a different form of yoga in the future, but for now I am quite happy with Bikram.

Thanks,

Willi

Nice to hear there are lots of hikers here!!!
MrD
Posted 2006-11-14 4:13 PM (#69338 - in reply to #65359)

I'm glad you're enjoying Bikram. I dont' know of any type of yoga that's been so addicting to so many people. But may that's because they don't have dressing rooms in other studios that everybody uses.

My biggest challenge right now is trying to get the hamstrings more open. Has Bikram helped you with that?
Willi
Posted 2006-11-14 5:52 PM (#69347 - in reply to #65359)

For me thats my tightest part of my body, but they are getting better. I can now put the middle of my hands on my toes...when I started I was unable to touch my toes
Willi
Posted 2006-12-22 11:52 AM (#72165 - in reply to #65359)

I am still quite enjoying Bikram, its been 5 Months now of practice
I tryed Ashtanga in the past, but much prefer the holding of poses (Hatha) instead of flowing through the practice.
I wanted to try another form of Hatha, somthing with a bit more strength involved then Birkam, not to say I would stop Bikram, just wanted to try somthing different. Could you tell me what type of yoga you would recommend to me....thanks

I decided to do a testimonial for my Studio a few weeks ago, thought I would share it with you also......

I was encouraged to try Bikram Yoga by my trainer (Karp Fitness), she told me that it would be a great balance for my training, and thought I would really enjoy the challenge. I signed up for a week and went 4 days in a row, fell in love with it and signed up for a year membership. I practice consistently 3 to 5 days a week.

My first week was a bit painful, my back (erector spinae) became very tight and sore, an old shoulder injury also was a bit aggravated.

After a month my back was not sore anymore and any back pain or spasms were eliminated. My shoulder started to feel better and an old knee injury (ITB, and Patella Femoral pain syndrome) was not aggravating me as much as in the past. I felt more energetic through out the day, craved less fried foods, and became more aware of what I was putting into my body.
I am currently at around 5 months of practice and feel I have recently taking it to another level (thanks to Michael). I have become more aware of where I need to be in a pose instead of where I want to be, I focused more on myself instead of the distractions around the room. I have also become more aware of my surroundings throughout the day outside of my Yoga Practice.

For me this is the greatest thing I have ever done for my body, I have introduced it to my mother and many friends who are now enjoy the great benefits of Bikram Yoga.

Thanks to all my instructors, I enjoy the slight differences you provide at each class.

One day I am sure I will find myself in California enrolled in the 9 week in-depth study of Bikram Yoga. That is something I would love to do!

Yours very truly,

Willi Isaak
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-22 12:55 PM (#72176 - in reply to #72165)

Expert Yogi

Hey Willi,

That 's a nice story. I too love my Bikram/Hot yoga practice. I wish you all the best. If you are interested in other types of yoga, just go to another studio and explore. It's really hard to recommend other types of yoga to someone because its such a personal issue. If your're happy and content where you are, then stick with it. If your wanting to learn about alignment and anatomy, then find a studio that focuses on those things. Ask around your area. If you're near my area I have a long list of places to visit. I live near Asheville, NC. We have all kinds of yoga. In fact, we have the famous Iyengar Cindy Dollar and then we have Stephanie Keach. If you want to go Atlanta, Ga....lots of yoga there too. There's a great Anusara studio that I can recommend. Good luck and best wishes.
MrD
Posted 2006-12-22 5:30 PM (#72206 - in reply to #65359)

Here's a short link for some Yoga in Vancouver.

http://www.vanstart.com/yoga/

You also have a well trained Anusara Teacher in your area, Elissa Gumushel.

http://www.vankula.com/header.htm

If you don't like Vinyassa as well, try Iyenger or Anusara.
Willi
Posted 2006-12-22 10:48 PM (#72213 - in reply to #65359)

Thanks for responding Cyndi and MrD,

I did a bit of searching on both Iyenger adn Anusara, and they both interest me, I just find it hard to find a site with pictures for poses? I would like to see what the poses are involved for each form of Yoga. I would love to do this poses like this..... http://www.vankula.com/anusara.htm ....but where do I start?
Maybe I will check out the local book store and flip through a few books to see if any peak my interest.
Always an exciting time as a newby, tring to find what works best for yourself.

Enjoy your Holidays.
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-23 9:24 AM (#72224 - in reply to #65359)

Why not just try out some different ones rather than looking for pictures? You are never forced to stay with one style, esp. if it doesn't "do" anything for you.
This is an exciting time! Have fun with it!
redrox
Posted 2006-12-27 1:25 PM (#72309 - in reply to #72213)

Willi - 2006-12-22 8:48 PM

Thanks for responding Cyndi and MrD,

I did a bit of searching on both Iyenger adn Anusara, and they both interest me, I just find it hard to find a site with pictures for poses? I would like to see what the poses are involved for each form of Yoga. I would love to do this poses like this..... http://www.vankula.com/anusara.htm ....but where do I start?
Maybe I will check out the local book store and flip through a few books to see if any peak my interest.
Always an exciting time as a newby, tring to find what works best for yourself.

Enjoy your Holidays.

Most other styles do not have a fixed series of poses like Bikram or the astanga series, so they use a broader range of asanas and the ones in any particular class will vary depending on the teacher and the days focus. So you won't necessarily find a book of "Anusara poses" or "Iyengar poses" as they draw on an entire body of hundreds of asanas and their variations instead of only 26 pre-selected ones. In fact, one of the links provided from the first one posted says this about anusara poses:
There are over 250 poses that compile the syllabii of Anusara Yoga asanas. This syllabus encompasses all the poses that are commonly practiced in the foremost hatha yoga styles throughout the world. The syllabus covers all of the key asanas within the major classifications of poses: standing poses, backbends, forward bends, twists, hand-balancings, inversions, and restoratives.
Source: http://www.anusara.com/?pagerequested=about_philosophy

If you want to learn Pincha Mayurasana (forearm stand) like in that picture, find an instructor who knows it and can teach it safely and practice! I would think any good illustrated guide of hatha yoga poses would be a start to exploring other postures that might interest you. I agree that the bikram series does not seem to work the upper body enough for my own tastes. Yet I try to continue to practice it for the other aspects of it that it does offer me.
Willi
Posted 2006-12-28 10:46 AM (#72359 - in reply to #65359)

Wow, Thanks Redrox for taking the time to respond in such detail, I think I will first try looking for a book on poses, and try some home practice with my wife's help. She has been doing Yoga and Pilates for over 10 years (but enjoys Astanga, and does not like the heat). I will stick with my Bikram for now, and see how things go.

I am heading up Eagle Mountain (Coquitlam, BC Canada) to do some snowshoeing today...should be fun.
Willi
Posted 2006-12-29 11:52 AM (#72422 - in reply to #65359)

Here is the book I found to be the best for myself.

Yoga: A Yoga Journal Book by Linda Sparrowe

You may want to check it out for yourself
Willi
Posted 2007-01-10 1:02 PM (#73587 - in reply to #65359)

I thought I would share.

I went to my 6:00am class this morning with lots of snow on the ground (we don't get much in Vancouver) and only one other person showed up. The instructor suggested doing things a bit different, he decied to do the practice himself with us with no dialogue. It was fabulous!!!! I felt I took my practice to yet another level.
tourist
Posted 2007-01-10 7:02 PM (#73624 - in reply to #73587)

Expert Yogi

Better not say too much about where you live Willi - Bikram will hunt you down! Execution or at least excommunication Sounds like a nice class, especially for a snowy morning

Posted 2007-01-10 7:24 PM (#73629 - in reply to #73624)

If I recall, our comrade Tourist has never been to a real live Bikram class--I say we shame her into trying one--think she's got the gumption? Think she's tough enough...I dunno....
tourist
Posted 2007-01-11 12:23 AM (#73642 - in reply to #73629)

Expert Yogi

Never, ever, ever! I might try the series one day on my own in a nice 70 degree room
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-11 9:37 AM (#73681 - in reply to #73629)

Expert Yogi

Hey Willi,

We do the Bikram series to music in our studio all the time. If not too many people come, she'll say Music...we all smile and say YES!! Sometimes she'll pop in an Andreas Bocelli CD, once we did Celine Dion's Greatest Hits....I was surprised the first time I did Bikram to music, I really liked it alot. We don't do it that much anymore though. However, my home practice is another story. I made my own playlists on my Ipod (which is connected to my home stereo system). I just select a playlist and walla - I can do yoga all day. Then of course we've been talking about music lately on another thread...I really really like XM radio's Audio Visions...I've had some really nice yoga sessions listening to that station. They are so neutral.

Tourist, I can't even do regular Yoga in 70 degrees....that's just too darn cold for me. I like the temperature to be at least 80...otherwise, I'd be stiff as a board and I'd look like one of those stick people figures doing postures!! Yea, Shame on you....I think we should close this forum to Bikram only members...if ya'll can do that over on Iyengar so should we...but, if you do the series once, we'll let you come back in to discuss your experience in a "positive" manner of course,

Edited by Cyndi 2007-01-11 9:38 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-01-11 10:05 AM (#73685 - in reply to #73681)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - I am from the Great White North of frozen plains and the North Pole. 70 degress is warm for me And you'll never get rid of me - I can use my magical powers and sneak in or get one of the pirates to hijack the thread
laylie99
Posted 2007-01-11 6:24 PM (#73769 - in reply to #73681)

Oh, Cyndi, you can't be serious about the Celine Dion!
I would not have survived that class.

Maybe it's the musician in me... but her tone makes me crazy.

I've practiced at home while listening to soundscape/nature type music... it's very relaxing.
And that way, I can't be distracted by lyrics, good or bad.
I could just see myself struggling to keep from singing along, regardless.

But hey, if Celine floats your boat (oh man, the irony!), that's awesome.

I just wish it was more acceptable to listen to music in Bikram classes. The dialogue really wears on me sometimes...
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-11 7:42 PM (#73774 - in reply to #73769)

Expert Yogi

Yes, I am dead serious about Celine Dion. I typed out this long reason why a few minutes ago, and it got zapped. So, right now I'm pissed. If it all comes back to me, I'll re-post it, sorry...
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)