YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Frequency of Practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

meli911
Posted 2007-08-30 6:14 PM (#95408)
Subject: Frequency of Practice

I discovered Bikram's yoga for the first time about 5 months ago and have been attending class regularly once per week. I find this type of yoga incredibly demand and as I always like to perform all the exercises to the best of my abilities, I am afraid that increasing the frequency of classes would lead me to exhaustion. In addition to the once-per-week yoga class, I go to the gym twice a week, where I do an hour of intense cardio, plus stretching and ab work.

As I have several back muscle injuries and other health problems, I have decided to take a break from the gym for the first time after many, many years. Instead, I have decided to do Bikram's twice a week as opposed to only once a week. I realize that this does not sound like much to those of you who practice anywhere from three to five times, or even daily, but I find it a huge (time and otherwise) committment and accomplishment on my part. I find each class quite strenous yet I challenge myself to the max and always feel proud of my efforts at the end. However, this does not mean that I enjoy it. In fact, almost each time I'm there, I promise myself that I'll never come again and yet something is making me come back... To cut to the chase, my question is, whether twice a week is really as insufficient as I"ve been reading, especially when it comes to replacing my entire fitness routine. I have lost significant weight over the past year, due to digestive problems and feel that my body needs a break, yet I also need to know that I am staying in shape.

Any opinions/advice?

Thanks...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yoga-addict
Posted 2007-08-30 6:32 PM (#95410 - in reply to #95408)
Subject: RE: Frequency of Practice

Veteran

I generally go twice a week. I'd like to go more, but live pretty far from a studio. I'd say it's definitely worth it and I see the benefits- it takes longer maybe than people who go 3+ times a week- but it's still steady and it works. If you wanted it to replace your previous routine, I'd say 2 times a week wouldn't be enough- but since you want to give your body a break, but still keep in shape, then 2 classes of bikram (and maybe something gentle like walking, biking for something different?) is suffficient. I have exactly the same thing about both planning never to come back and planning in my schedule how to squeeze a class in. Try to take each class moment for moment, you only have to be in each moment as it comes.
tourist
Posted 2007-08-30 6:41 PM (#95412 - in reply to #95408)

Expert Yogi

meli - give it a try and see what happens. We get a lot of questions like this and I often think people have this idea that if they switch they will suddenly gain 75 pounds overnight and never, ever get another chance to make a change What is really the worst that can happen? You can always go back to the gym if you want to
AKBrooker1
Posted 2007-08-30 8:04 PM (#95416 - in reply to #95408)

meli911, With regards to frequency of practice, I usually advise my students that whatever they can do is good enough. To see progress after the initial introduction to the practice however, three times per week is really a minimum. Saying that does not mean you have to be in a studio, or in the intense heat. Practicing at home counts as well. You may not do the full class at home--or have the heat--but you are still able to keep the practice familiar between classes at your studio. Practicing at home and by oneself can be a great opportunity to explore your feel for the asanas and the class in general.

People frequently believe the "Hot" in Hot Yoga refers to the temperature in the room. It doesn't. It refers to the lineage of the practice. Although we appreciate the added benefits from practicing in a heated room, locust is locust, whether done in 105 degrees or 80.
Andre
Posted 2007-08-30 11:59 PM (#95419 - in reply to #95408)

Extreme Veteran

I'd recommend three times a week. And also, in the beginning, it's not uncommon to dread the heat. It's often said in my home studio, the first goal is to get here. The second is to stay in the room. It probably took me 6 months to get over the hump. But, I was going 3, 4, 5 times a week. Once you've established a practice like Bikrams, it gets easier to maintain. But it's kind of hard to get to that point going just once or twice a week.

Also, remember, yes... you should try to give maximum effort, but you also have to give yourself a break. It's a tricky balance in an environment as demanding as a Bikram's studio. So if you find yourself struggling, just stop and honor your effort, and get back into the posture when you're ready.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-31 6:49 PM (#95473 - in reply to #95408)

Expert Yogi

Meli,

It sounds to me like you are doing what your suppose to do, which is, listening to YOUR body. In my beginning days of Bikram I did a 90 day challenge. I did this challenge to myself after I had been practicing 2-3 times a week for a year. After that challenge I slowed down to 2 times a week, then once. I like to do a Bikram class once a week now, along with a regular yoga class, then the rest is at home, whenever I see fit. That works for me, my life, my body and pretty much does it.

Resting is the most important aspect to yoga. If you don't have rest, then forget it all together. Take a sabatical..I've been on one for over a month now. Next week, I'm diving back in, but I really needed the break. Too many emotional things going on in my life over the past few months. It's all good to honor ourselves. Frankly, I considered it my yoga practice when I was out hiking all those miles in the woods. It was totally awesome. I did find time to do asana's...just not the usual 90 mins or hour that I'm used to doing regularly. Best wishes. Sounds like you're on the right path.
jules99
Posted 2007-09-04 5:09 PM (#95651 - in reply to #95408)

I have to echo the thoughts of others here - you have to go with what feels good for you. I must say that the more I practice, the less physically stressful I find the class, that is, the heat bothers me less. And the more I practice, the more I WANT to practice. Sadly, budgetary demands prohibit going to class as much I would like

Posted 2007-09-05 2:39 PM (#95698 - in reply to #95408)

Agree with jules and others - I always find that the classes are much LESS exhausting when I practice more frequently. It's amazing to watch how your body adjusts to the heat and humidity once it gets used to it. The heat rarely bothers me at all any more - I am definitely AWARE that it is hot, but my body knows how to produce ridiculous amounts of sweat to keep me relatively cool.

Jules - does your studio have any sort of work-study program? It sucks to be held back by finances. I do work-study at my studio and that is the ONLY way I can afford the amount of yoga that I am doing right now - without it, i would be practicing in my bedroom on a towel.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)