YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Triangle Problems
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Jar
Posted 2008-04-17 1:16 AM (#106356)
Subject: Triangle Problems

Regular

Besides having horrific balance, laughable strength, atrocious form, and it's probably painful for the instructor to look at me, I am feeling I'm improving

The form that gives me the most problems of all is triangle. As a bit ofbackground, I've led a sedentary life, smoked a pack a day for 30 years, and generally treated my body like i didn't plan to be around long. 3 years ago I quit smoking and took up cycling. I now cycle 12-15,000 km a year the last couple years. That alone has given me very tight hips (along with tight hamstrings but thats another story). last winter i went down hard on black ice at 40 kmh and fractured my hip.

Triangle when i go into it causes pain in my hips. More from tightness i feel than misalignment from my damage. If I keep my thigh at an angle to the floor instead of parallel I can hold the pose full duration. If I get my leg parallel to the floor I cannot hold for more than a few seconds without having to come out of it. Not just relaxing off, but I have to come right out.

So my question would be what is the best interim position for me to get to while I practice this asana till I have the strength and flexibility to do it correctly.

1) keep good form in regards to upper body, elbow on knee, fingers almost touching toes but thigh not parallel, and hold full duration

2) leg parallel to ground, rest of body in correct form but only hold for 5 seconds, repeat over and over.

3) leg parallel, touching fingers to ground to help support myself, hold full duration

4) Leg parallel, holding forearm on thigh to support myself, hold full duration.

Sorry of this seems to be an obvious question. I honestly dont know how i should proceed. Most other poses its obvious how to go easy on if needed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-04-17 2:04 AM (#106357 - in reply to #106356)
Subject: RE: Triangle Problems

talk to your teacher about it.

JackieCat
Posted 2008-04-17 6:37 AM (#106359 - in reply to #106356)

Extreme Veteran

I would say option #1 is the best, but like ZB said, I would ask the teacher what s/he thinks.
Orbilia
Posted 2008-04-17 8:04 AM (#106360 - in reply to #106359)

I would also ask my teacher what other poses would be good preparation for triangle at home. That is ones that would aid 'losening you off' in the areas you find tightest in triangle. I work at a computer all day and find my sides get fairly tight so doing some seated or standing side stretches before triangle really helps my form in that pose.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2008-04-17 8:05 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2008-04-17 10:20 AM (#106370 - in reply to #106356)

Expert Yogi

I always loved the Bikram dialogue to this posture, it goes something like this:

But first, did you know that Trikonasana is the Master Asana of the Bikram series????

The dialogue says something to the effect that this asana is one of the ones that you cannot cheat in it, no matter how you try to preform it, hahaha

But, there is a correct way and unfortunately, I don't think most Bikram teachers know how to teach this posture, correctly. Most of them just tell you to do it whether you are doing it correctly or not.

What helped me was going to a regular yoga class and learning some basic alignment skills. Practicing all the Warrior series was really good for this. There is also a pose called "Power Pose", which is similar to Bikram's "Awkward" pose. Doing all these on a regular basis, along with Downward Dog and Pidgeon, opened up my hips bigtime to be able to handle the Bikram Trikonasana. Also, attending other yoga classes that focused on alignment helps too. Because it teaches you how to listen to your body and eventually, you learn how to perform each posture with alignment which is so important when doing these asana's. With all the heat issues and speed issues, it's kinda hard to get this in a Bikram class.
chumsferd
Posted 2008-04-17 12:51 PM (#106380 - in reply to #106356)

I have a friend that used to be a big time runner and has incredibly locked up hips. He does triangle in the most painful way possible (not really, since I see a lot of people do it this way). He sits down as far as he can which is short of parallel and bends at his waist to get his elbow to the knee.

I am not a teacher and am not super experienced, but I've made a lot of progress in my triangle and would advise the following:
1. form is much more important than depth, so I would not do anything that sacrifices form just to touch my fingers between my big and second toe.
2. it will take a while for you hips to open up so you will have to be patient.
3. it's not just your legs and hips that are supporting you, it's your core strength as well. This is the reason my you are not supposed to have weight on your fingertips or any weight on your elbow. It is your core strength that should support you and allow you to form a straight line with your straight leg and your torso (and eventually form a triangle with your torso, downward pointing arm and eventually parallel knee/leg).
4. The way to get your fingers in between your toes and your elbow to the knee is to sit deeper. For you, this will take a long time with your hips. Something that really was a breakthrough for me was when I realized that I needed to roll my straight leg side hip forward. That one move really allowed me to sit deeper.

In conclusion, If I were you I would focus on using my core strength to support the upper body and work on sitting deeper at the expense of elbow to knee and fingers to toes. gradually your hips will open, you will sit deeper and be able to achieve the full posture.

Anyways, I hope some of this helps. Be patient, keep practicing and your triangle should improve!!
Eteraz
Posted 2008-04-18 4:37 PM (#106421 - in reply to #106356)

Dear jar, the best thing, in my opinion to do is consult an Iyegnar book with illustrations (i.e. yoga the iyengar way). You can even look at it in the library and take notes or even see "Yoga Journal" to learn how to do it correctly without hip pain.

By the wayTriangle in Bikram is more similar to Parsvakonasana in regular hatha yoga. The arm positions in Bikram are like the regular triangle positions though. So try to read what Iyengar says about hip positioning (ignoring the arm stuff) and that should help a lot.

http://www.lifepositive.com/body/yoga/yoga-positions.asp
Eteraz
Posted 2008-04-18 4:41 PM (#106423 - in reply to #106356)

Hi Jar one more thing that is excellent for helping you in triangle. Try to do Warrior 2

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/495
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)