YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

winding down
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

kaiimi
Posted 2008-05-01 5:58 PM (#106879)
Subject: winding down

Because of my schedule I take late night classes and usually get home around 10PM. The past couple of nights I have found myself too charged with energy after yoga to fall asleep. Do you guys know of any tricks to "uncharge" the body following yoga? I would ideally like to be in bed and asleep at midnight.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yogabrian
Posted 2008-05-01 6:46 PM (#106884 - in reply to #106879)
Subject: RE: winding down

Take a very hot epson salt bath for about 15-20 minutes. Should put you out like a light.

Posted 2008-05-01 11:01 PM (#106892 - in reply to #106879)

Tylenol PM works well if you have to do the late classes.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-05-02 12:18 AM (#106893 - in reply to #106879)

For people having trouble falling asleep, I usually recommend An Essay Concerning Human Understanding, or Two Treatises on Government by John Locke. They have never failed to put me asleep.

Duffy
delania
Posted 2008-05-02 7:39 AM (#106908 - in reply to #106879)

I also have a tendency to be wound up after class, but one instructor told me that taking a longer savasana will help to keep you calm. Her recommendation was to actually lay in final savasana until you actually don't want to get up (i.e. you are feeling sleepy and incredibly relaxed). It's been really working for me.
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-05-02 9:09 AM (#106913 - in reply to #106879)

I've been change the cooldowns that I've been doing in my classes, as I find that classes that end at 9pm can be a little too ... invigorating for that time of day. So, restorative, supported forward folds for a cooldown, and either those on their own instead of savasana, or something along the lines of vipariti karani with an eye pillow. Consider doing this at home, after your practice (given the break between class and getting home). I love sun salutations, so I'd probably do a few really slow ones, then some restorative poses, to wind down.
kaiimi
Posted 2008-05-02 6:31 PM (#106935 - in reply to #106879)

Thank you for your suggestions. I go to 8:15PM classes Mon-Thursday so I will have lots of opportunities to figure out what works best for me. Thank you very much for answering my questions and I will let you know how it goes.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-02 9:31 PM (#106940 - in reply to #106893)

Expert Yogi

Duffy Pratt - 2008-05-02 12:18 AM

For people having trouble falling asleep, I usually recommend An Essay Concerning Human Understanding, or Two Treatises on Government by John Locke. They have never failed to put me asleep.

Duffy

Good one,

My thing is I like to use Lavender Essential Oil. I burn it in a diffusor in my bedroom when I can't sleep. I sometimes use the Bath and Body EO formula, Lavender/Vanilla, it's good too. I make my own version of this using pure EO's that I have on hand. Something about the Vanilla is also very soothing along with the Lavender. I'd go with Brian's Epsom salt bath, along with the Lavender/Vanilla blend in a diffusor.

Technically, Lavender is very soothing and helps if you have headaches associated with the heat of Bikram. Some people like to use Peppermint after Bikram. I find that is too stimulating and is why I prefer Lavender, which does basically the same thing as Peppermint, without over-stimulating. Since we are already stimulated enough already,
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)