YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HELP!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Confused88
Posted 2003-03-05 9:21 PM (#1490)
Subject: HELP!

is yoga a form of realxation or is it exersize? or is it both? my mom wants to begin. should i get her books on it or should i get videos to get her started?

confused88
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jorge
Posted 2003-03-06 12:38 PM (#1494 - in reply to #1490)

Ana
Posted 2003-03-11 3:42 PM (#1533 - in reply to #1490)

Yoga is physical meditation. This statement is oversimplified, I realize, but it is a good start. It is exercse of the soul, not so much of the physical form. The relaxation is a product of truth and deep serenity. Yoga means union, so when we approach our mat we are in union with ourselves, God, and the Highest we all are. This may be my definition for what yoga is for me, but you alltogether might feel differently after practicing for a longer period of time. It is a deep journey into a world of faith and love. I hope I have helped you.
Emilia
Posted 2003-03-14 6:52 AM (#1561 - in reply to #1490)

Yoga is both but the intensity of the execirse varies with the type of yoga being practice. I reccomend you buy her a video and perhaps pay for a session or two at a local yoga studio to ensure she is doing it properly.
Anonymous
Posted 2003-03-14 6:53 AM (#1562 - in reply to #1490)

Ash Aragam
Posted 2003-03-30 7:23 PM (#1628 - in reply to #1490)

Yoga is the path to self-realization; what does this mean? It means one can find and reach the ultimate potential one has. Theoritically it is the ideal state what the mind and body needs to be; This ideal state represents what the Almighty is all about and since we are all part of Him/Her, Yoga is the path to reach and be part of Him/Her.

Postures, Meditation, etc are the steps to reach this ultimate state.

In any case, I strongly recommend you have your mom attend a beginners course on Yoga. A book or a video will help, but an experienced teacher will be able to guide one better in cases where you are left w/ questions. Just following a video or a book, one can lead to different interpretations when in doubt.
Alex
Posted 2003-04-16 4:17 PM (#1720 - in reply to #1490)

1)Yoga is both exercise and a form of relaxation. 2)You spelled exercise and relaxation wrong 3)Why does your mother want to get involved?
If you're looking for relaxation, I suggest something called Savasana (you may have heard it called "corpse pose"). This is where you lie down in a comfortable position and do absolutely nothing. You don't move, you don't even think. It'll take a while to get there, but when you do, it's the best form of relaxation I've ever tried. You might fall asleep, so watch out for that. I gotta go, but e-mail me if you wanna talk.
Bye!
Kat
Posted 2003-05-07 4:44 PM (#1817 - in reply to #1490)

Yoga is a form of both relaxation and exercise. It really depeneds on how you use it. For the first two months, I practiced yoga as exercise.... after I decided I was were I wanted to be, I looked at the more spiritual, relaxing side of the art. I started with a video that helped me loose weight (I recommened video's with Rodney Yee), however, if you're looking for the more spiritual side, I recommened researching- go online to sites, read books..... anything you can get your hands on. I hope you enjoy this art as much as I.

Peace, Love, and forever Happiness.......

~*Kat*~
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)